Event/Touring Work

Hi Guys,

Doing event/touring work is something I have wanted to do since before getting my licence, and now I have a couple of years experience behind me I want to start looking at doing it.

I have had a look through the forum for information and found abit but a lot of it is a few years old so looking for some more into date stuff like what are the chances of getting a job, who’s best to try with and all that. I live in North Wales so company that are closer the better but I don’t mind traveling.

Seen that Paul Matthews have a yard in Widnes, does anyone know if it’s just a place to store trailers or do they employ drivers out of there?

Cheer,

Some companies worth investigating:

Paul Mathews
Redburn
KB Events
Transam Trucking
Edwin Shirley Trucking
Stage Truck
Fly By Nite
Yeardsly
Stardes

To get into this you really need to know someone that will put your name forward it seems.

The other way is wait till March/April next year and phone the company’s mentioned and see if they need double drivers as that can be a way in as well.

Trans am/EST/Brian yeardsley I think are exclusive LHD trucks , you might want to bear that in mind when you call.

You will get bored of it eventually! :wink:

Dont worry too much about the companies location. Once there you won`t be going home too often!

bigvern1:
You will get bored of it eventually! :wink:

I’m bored of event work , prob go back to touring next year.

Paul Matthews are based in sunny Bognor but saw one of their trucks advertising for drivers this morning this might help.
paulmathewtransport.com/careers.html

DWT in Colsterworth, Watermark Event Management in Southampton.

dwt-exhibitions.co.uk/

watermark-events.com/

I did it for the last 3 years in the UK, I even left a full time job as a Tesco driver which was so easy and well paid that people said I was crazy. On my first day I wondered WTF I had done ? It was hard work just learning to set up the equipment etc. My first job was was at Millbrook proving ground, my next was Fox FM radio roadshow, I was so unsure of myself, my first solo show was at the Ayr show in Scotland, I got lots of praise from the clients which got back to Concord road shows before I did. I loved this job, I had hard work to do at every set up, but the job grows on you and you will not be able to go without it, I loved it, to this day I miss every minute of it. quite a few of my old mates from Concord are now on my Facebook friends list and a couple have actually been over to visit, it’s not the job for a married man it cost me my previous marriage. But ! … Worth every second.

You wont be doing a lot of hard work on Rock’n’Roll trucking. I did about an hours work in the time I did it.

Physical work that is. No helping to set up or anything like that. Just drive

MGR1610:
Hi Guys,

Doing event/touring work is something I have wanted to do since before getting my licence, and now I have a couple of years experience behind me I want to start looking at doing it.

I’m in the broadcast industry… If you like sport you could always try the big Outside Broadcast companies such as Telegenic & CTV at High Wycombe or NEP Vision at Bracknell and do both driving and rigging for the major sporting events, football matches, golf, Wimbledon, racing, etc as well as many big music festivals and theatre & TV shows!

Alternatively, there is Formula One, mostly LHD trucks… I fancied this years ago, but I was put off when I heard you had to do non driving work back at the UK headquarters in Biggin Hill for a few months each year after the race season ended, and that put me off!

Not sure how true that is mind you! :slight_smile:

Seeing the ad for 24k a year I am reminded that I was making more than that in 1998 doing this work, when I left to come here my last years earnings were more than 40k so what happened ?

Pat Hasler:
Seeing the ad for 24k a year I am reminded that I was making more than that in 1998 doing this work, when I left to come here my last years earnings were more than 40k so what happened ?

Same as that, I was taking home over £24,000 a year doing exhibition work in the mid 1990s when the average house cost about £50,000.

What happened? Tony Blair and Gordon Brown happened.

Pat Hasler:

I also thought it was pretty crap when I saw it, I would want a hell of a lot more than that, especially when you know that there are mega bucks floating around in that game going to others involved in it in other trades.

So either…

A. The haulier is still getting the same proportionate rate and profit from when you done it in 98, and screwing his drivers over,

B. The age old British transport ‘Own worst enemy’ style of cutting the rate to ribbons to get the work has gone on here.
So the job has turned to ■■■■ like so many others in this game.

C. He is attracting the lower common denominator in intelligence type of drivers, the type that we all know, who are daft enough to work for next to ■■■■ all just to be seen driving a fancy top range motor, and to boast that they do Euro event work :unamused: …who could be on top dollar if they actually had a brain.

Cheers lads, I’ll have to tidy up my cv and get onto some of these company’s.

Lennoxtown:
I’m in the broadcast industry… If you like sport you could always try the big Outside Broadcast companies such as Telegenic & CTV at High Wycombe or NEP Vision at Bracknell and do both driving and rigging for the major sporting events, football matches, golf, Wimbledon, racing, etc as well as many big music festivals and theatre & TV

Sounds interesting, do you get to stay out for a few weeks at a time with outside broadcasting or is it couple of days at a time to cover an event then back to the yard?

robroy:

Pat Hasler:

I also thought it was pretty crap when I saw it, I would want a hell of a lot more than that, especially when you know that there are mega bucks floating around in that game going to others involved in it in other trades.

So either…

A. The haulier is still getting the same proportionate rate and profit from when you done it in 98, and screwing his drivers over,

B. The age old British transport ‘Own worst enemy’ style of cutting the rate to ribbons to get the work has gone on here.
So the job has turned to [zb] like so many others in this game.

C. He is attracting the lower common denominator in intelligence type of drivers, the type that we all know, who are daft enough to work for next to [zb] all just to be seen driving a fancy top range motor, and to boast that they do Euro event work :unamused: …who could be on top dollar if they actually had a brain.

Parts of the attraction of the job are the very large amounts of money to be made, after all, for most of the year you give up all family life, you actually do live in a truck and a hospitality unit or hotel in some shows, basically you are on duty 24/7, then there are the extra little earners lake paying for extras like towing from muddy sites etc. When I first moved here an event company contacted me, my name had been given them by Concord I believe, they offered me a job doing the same in the lower 48 states, it meant being out for 9 months non stop and then 3 months at home, the pay was over $100k a year, my missus said “take it and say goodbye”
Having lost one wife to the work I declined the offer.

MGR1610:
Cheers lads, I’ll have to tidy up my cv and get onto some of these company’s.

Lennoxtown:
I’m in the broadcast industry… If you like sport you could always try the big Outside Broadcast companies such as Telegenic & CTV at High Wycombe or NEP Vision at Bracknell and do both driving and rigging for the major sporting events, football matches, golf, Wimbledon, racing, etc as well as many big music festivals and theatre & TV

Sounds interesting, do you get to stay out for a few weeks at a time with outside broadcasting or is it couple of days at a time to cover an event then back to the yard?

It would vary depending on the particular events you were covering