Euros

Just a quick question for you Europhiles.

Where do you get your Euros when you go over the water?. is it a better rate over here or over there?.

I’m going on hoiday to France soon just wondered whether to get them before i go or get them over there.

Thanks Jammy.

:smiley: Alex, what ferry route you taking ■■

I,m flying mate i,m just being tight and wondered where the best deal was.

:slight_smile: Oh right, I’d say the post office then. :wink:

Definately the Post Office.

Try marks and spencers thay usually have a good rate and no commission.

I just go to a cash machine and draw €100 at a time, from my normal bank account. As far as I remember, there is no commission charge just the normal exchange rate difference. Thats with my bank, Royal Bank of Scotland, other banks might have different arrangements.

Oh, and I had to notify my bank that I would be drawing money abroad with the card. That was a few years ago, when I first started on international work. Things might have changed since then.

Have a good holiday BTW. Don’t drink too much red wine, although its good for the heart (allegedly), it don’t half give you a sore head in the morning :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :smiley: . (It does to me anyway :laughing: )

I just use my switch card to draw cash, but I also carry a credit card to pay for meals and shopping.

In France, no one turns their nose up at you if you pay for a stick of chewing gum with a credit card. :stuck_out_tongue: Make sure you have a PIN number before you go to Europe

be careful when using a switch card abroad.
i have one of those new visa debit cards ( not a credit card )
and EVERY time i use it abroad , i get charged
£1.50 . i am with the halfax bank.
personally i use travelex.
you can order your money online and collect it
at your point of departure.they guarentee to beat any quote
from every where else and if you was to pay a small charge, £3.50,
they will change any unused currency back to sterling at the rate you changed
it from.

bigandy:
be careful when using a switch card abroad.
i have one of those new visa debit cards ( not a credit card )
and EVERY time i use it abroad , i get charged
£1.50 . i am with the halfax bank.
personally i use travelex.
you can order your money online and collect it
at your point of departure.they guarentee to beat any quote
from every where else and if you was to pay a small charge, £3.50,
they will change any unused currency back to sterling at the rate you changed
it from.

At most of the main banks I dont get charged anything, using an HSBC card. even £1.50 is cheaper than using the money changers as they give you a poorer rate to pay for wages and advertising.

And I never change money back to Sterling as that is just pointless.

I have seen drivers getting cash on a credit card from Travelex when there is a cash machine next to them, then you see them coming home and changing it back :question:

At least you only need one currency now, instead of having to buy, Lira, Francs, Deutsche Marks Guilders and BEF.

You never see anyone with those big furry wallets now :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
You never see anyone with those big furry wallets now :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh sadly you still do. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Never been charged for using Switch/Maestro in a cash machine over the water.

as per previous replies but i would take a few €’s from home then just then just go to the cashpoint