European Work

Hi everyone,
I’m looking at becoming an owner driver again. Its true that once its in the blood its there forever. I’m looking for help and advice on firms that are looking for owner drivers that pay decent rates and pay on time. Is this asking the impossible?

well its difficult to know where to start. Rates are to be honest pretty poor – I have worked for quite a few companies and they are all around the same rate. £2400 for a london round trip Madrid and around £2100 for Barcelona.
I am currently with MEC and have no real complaints- early payment is available but with a 5% deduction.French rates and the benelux rates tend to be not too bad as you are not doing the miles --so the rate per mile tends to be a little better. It also depends where you live and operate from as you do not want to be tipping in s-wales and reloading in Newcastle!!!
To be honest I can earn at least £200-300 pounds a week more in the Uk but the roads here and the facilities are still abysmal and seem to be getting worse by the day --so the freedom of the european network still has its pull.
Anymore info please ask
regards
Trev

Thanks Trev,
Driving in the U.K just doesn’t interest me. Too much congestion on the roads. How long would a typical round trip to Madrid take you? What are the costs of a trip to Madrid?
Regards,
Carl

it depends really on where u load from in uk – u can easily add 1 day to the trip - my last trip was a little like this –
loaded friday pm
shipped out of dover sunday evening-- arrived at around 10 oclock and drove til i reached abbeyville.
Monday night reached castnets --south of bordeaux
Tuesday evening with a good 10 hr drive i was in Madrid.
Tipped wednesday am and reloaded wednesday pm.Wednesday left madrid and reached Vitoria .
Thursday drive remainder of spain and then up through france. now it all depends on when u can get tipped . I was not able to be tipped until monday am so I had the week end in france and shipped out early Monday am and tipped in Tonbridge early mon am --reloaded on Monday pm and shipped back out Monday evening to Barcelona.Not alot of time for a social life – but the rates determine that you have to keep going!!!
Regards
Trevor

Stitch01:
. I’m looking for help and advice on firms that are looking for owner drivers that pay decent rates and pay on time. Is this asking the impossible?

Hi Stitch,

If there was any money in being an OD, I would do it myself. You are better off as an employee.

Was a time when “Are you an OD or an employee?” was the first question you got asked when over the water. Not any more, they have almost all gone bust or packed up because there’s no money in it.

Still, if it’s your dream then go for it.