European work wanted!

I’m looking for European work (fridge or tautliner) if anybody knows of anything going (I am happy doing what I do at the moment and happy with my wage too but I want to get back onto Euro work). I’m near to Liverpool but can’t find nothing at all - English or Irish ! The amount of time I’ve spent ringing companies and firing off my licenses/ADR certificate is getting silly now !!! Some companies don’t seem to be taking anyone on at all, some seem to have problems with the fact that I’m not eastern european. It’s annoying because my CV is great on the face of it, 38 years of age, single, not tied to any particular place, don’t mind being away, highly experienced in all aspects of truck driving. hard working, professional about the job, ADR qualified, dCPC done apart from 1 module !!! Yet I can’t catch a break.

What grinds me down is the fact that you see some companies drivers turn up at delivery points I’m at and they are completely useless and/or don’t give a toss about the job and yet I can’t get onto a job like they have !

Being near to Liverpool I thought it would be a lot easier to get on with an Irish haulier but it seems they only want eastern euro’s now or they don’t want anyone at all ! A lot of UK companies as we all know don’t do as much Euro work now as they can’t compete.

I did get offered a job at a company that I won’t mention, I left when a driver showed me his wage slip which was take home £240. I swear it was because I saw it. There was a bonus to take the wage up later in the month though.

Just thought I’d post as it’s soooooo frustrating !

S & K.

To be right honest, if I was in your position I would go to Richard Long. I saw one today, the driver looked like he had made a real effort to make a tidy job of his load and the whole combination looked right for the job.

The company has had a right slagging off on TNUK but everyone I ever knew when I started on International used to slag Murfitts off and I had a brilliant time working there.

Mind you, if you do like it, it’ll make for another cracking thread on TNUK…

W

AlexWignall:
To be right honest, if I was in your position I would go to Richard Long. I saw one today, the driver looked like he had made a real effort to make a tidy job of his load and the whole combination looked right for the job.

The company has had a right slagging off on TNUK but everyone I ever knew when I started on International used to slag Murfitts off and I had a brilliant time working there.

Mind you, if you do like it, it’ll make for another cracking thread on TNUK…

W

The are advertising in Farmers Weekly for drivers for UK / European work … can’t remember the name to ask for … wasn’t Lorraine :laughing: :laughing:

Best place to look is Dover area.

Thanks for the reply’s. Haven’t looked into Richard Long to be honest. Will have a look tomorrow.

S&K ■■? :blush: hehe !

Mr. Monk, I’ve looked into 1 or 2 firms around Dover. Sealane (being one of them) aren’t interested as they want you to live within a 20mile radius of Kent. I explained I’m not ‘fixed’ and have no problem being away in the truck for weeks on end…it must have went over their head ! To be honest, it’s similar to Irish companies. You would think that being in Liverpool that you would be prime for them. A lot of the replies I’ve had from Irish firms have been that that might be a problem yet their trucks are parked up in Liverpool every weekend !!! I don’t even care where I am at the weekend, Ireland would be fine if thats the way it is !!!

Kerbdog:
Mr. Monk, I’ve looked into 1 or 2 firms around Dover. Sealane (being one of them) aren’t interested as they want you to live within a 20mile radius of Kent.

Just as well, I wouldn’t wish Sealane on my worst enemy! :wink:

Try Heritage for fridge work or Clan International for tautliner work. :question:

Or if you really want to go all over and don’t mind being away, Newton’s at Snodland,

newtontransport.com/

EDIT. Sorry, just made a phone call and been told that Newton’s have now pulled out of international work completely :confused: :confused: :confused:

Have you tried Dixons ? I heard Caffreys were looking ( just ordered 20 new Mercs) and may be Morgan McLernon?

richard-long.co.uk/richard-l … ncies.html

advertising by the looks of it!

Dixons would be my absolute number 1 choice. They are always in McBurneys and I chat with the lads, nobody has a bad word to say about them. The fleet is superb. I’ve heard wages ain’t the best but then by the same token I’ve heard that they are quite good. I’ve got my name on their list as I’ve rang the guy there a couple of times. I actually rang them last week and he pulled out all my details so I knew he had kept me for future ref !

Sealane was one I know nothing about Harry, just a shot in the dark really !

Caffrey’s actually have a great fleet too, but I spoke to a lad called Paul a few months ago who also kept me on file similar to Dixons. Before AGY work I worked for McBurney/PDL a few years ago. When I go back there (as that’s where I am most days now on the agency) I know a lot of the drivers. I have a great relationship with a few of them that I’ve known for years. One of them yesterday told me he knows Mr. Caffrey personally and explained how his son had taken over. He was adament that I shouldn’t work for them at all but wouldn’t say why. The only problem I had with them is that they said they run a lot more left hookers now than they used to and with myself only having driven 1 left ■■■■■■ it may be awkward. It may take a day or 2 to get totally used to it but they want the experience with left hookers and mine was limited !

I wouldn’t worry about LHDs, I had 2 of them and the drivers had no choice but to get stuck in. Not hard to master.

you certainly shouldnt let that ruin your chance of getting the job you want.

Dixons have a few based out of Crewe, for the M&S work.

Have you tried John Tierney ( Tipp) and O’Tooles ( Galway)? Keenan ?

Have you tried some of the Scottish outfits? P&C Hamilton? Scott Trawlers? Fresh Catch ? Penfro Peche? Mesguen ?

Theres Pulleyn in Reading and then theres Ray White who is buying Scanias like they are going out of fashion.

I was doing regular Swiss work with the odd trip to Germany until I moved to Canada in 2009. After 3 years of going up and down the same roads week in and week out I got bored and the options for a British driver on European work then were very limited and are probably just as bad now, if not worse. As it appears you have no commitments, have you considered maybe doing a bit over here in Canada? I’m not suggesting you have to commit to being here for the rest of your life but you could quite easily come across for a year, see the sights and then bugger off back to England if thats what you wanted, plenty do! Just an idea?

Edward Gilder from Bourton on the water is looking ,hanging meat they load out of preston,2 weeks away at a time have a look on his web site might be of help.

Thanks everybody !

pete62:
Edward Gilder from Bourton on the water is looking ,hanging meat they load out of preston

Was looking at their site the other day. I will follow up but I have some wheels in motion at the moment and will wait till the results come back from that. I’ve done the hanging meat out of Clitheroe, very entertaining journeys up to Carin Ryan !!!

Cranleigh Freight Services? European Aircargo work

If i was ever to go employed again my first stop would be Ontime Automotive those lads go everywher and are never pushed and you get to drive flash cars all be it very slowly or Kentvale there getting bigger

By all means, give Richard a call, I did, what a surly basterd on the phone, I live abroad, and I thought the job he is advertising would suit me down to the ground, but the attitude on the phone was something else, what a ■■■■■■■ how does he manage to keep the work he has with an attitude like that, ■■■■■■■.

Sapper

sapper:
By all means, give Richard a call, I did, what a surly basterd on the phone, I live abroad, and I thought the job he is advertising would suit me down to the ground, but the attitude on the phone was something else, what a [zb], how does he manage to keep the work he has with an attitude like that, ■■■■■■■.

Sapper

tell us more? what put you off?

Well you now have to call him Kerbdog and report back. Keep us posted! Would be good if you can record it !

Eat more Chips, Mortimers now Broughton Transport Services are looking for drivers, ask for Toby Ovens.