Europe, Official Night out money

Does anyone know if the HMRC have any official figures for Night out money for european drivers.

Regards

JJSL

They don’t, it’s just the same as the national agreed UK rate. However, they also say a local agreement can be reached with them to pay above this rate if it can be proved it is necessary, especially in the case of European work where for instance you may need extra showers due to warmer temperatures or the cost of food being higher.

Our local tax office allows £27.

technically speaking though as most of us know in europe generally the food is cheaper and of better quality than your average uk truckstop or definitely MSA!!
i would have thought that a night out in europe would be cheaper even if you were to pay parking then claim it back? as parking is free and a shower is sometimes included within the price of the meal?
i wonder if any other expats in europe get night out money because its not a spanish thing maybe just a uk taxman thing

I used to get £35.00 euro night out money, £20 in UK! :open_mouth:

i was led to beleive that it was £22.50 uk tax free and £35.00 overseas.

Well I do europe in a van and get £20 night out but I know of a company that pays nearly £40 but they only pay £50 a day for a van driver.

hi mate this is what the tax office say

EIM66125 - Tax treatment of lorry drivers: subsistence allowances paid to lorry drivers: nights outside the UK
Sections 337 and 338 ITEPA 2003

The amounts shown at EIM66110 relate to allowances for nights in the United Kingdom away from home and the permanent workplace (if any). They may not be appropriate for overnight subsistence on continental journeys, where costs can vary from country to country.

In such cases local offices should agree figures locally with each employer based on the facts of the travel undertaken by the employees concerned.

Many thanks for the info, sorry I have not replied sooner, but have been away for a few days.

Regards

JJSL

my lot pay an extra £10 above the norm if we go to Scandinavia or Switzerland because it is so much more expensive than the rest of mainland Europe.
I wish the prices had been set in € as my night out money has in effect dropped by about 30% with the exchange rates as they are now :imp: