Euro wannabies.

Always quit after one week,after a 45 hour break in a rainy service area,when the Pot Noodles have run out,and the wife is nagging as you missed something at home and the boss said at the interview you will be home every weekend,yeah right.

Not sure Toby, is that a statement or a question ?

toby1234abc:
Always quit after one week,after a 45 hour break in a rainy service area,when the Pot Noodles have run out,and the wife is nagging as you missed something at home and the boss said at the interview you will be home every weekend,yeah right.

lol always used to love the phone calls on a thursday as running for the boat asking if I had plans for the weekend and would I mind a turn around at Folkestone

That’s where I went wrong. Forgot to quit after week 1! Oh well, guess I’ll stick with it then. Much rather go to Italy & back every week instead of being stuck in the yUK :slight_smile:

Sent from somewhere… Not sure where exactly but I’m probably only a bit lost :slight_smile:

Best one i heard was on poole /cherbourg few years back

Sat there telling us he had to one hit it to Madrid etc

Turned and said to him you going via limoges and lyon then though the frejus
and yes he was at this point half the lads walked away ■■■■■■■ them selves

Get off boat went over for coffee had to wait hour for tacho break
and there he was doing a change over
saw other driver later on in day and was there uk shunter and was first time he been across
had to laugh

But loads out there want the euro work but not the weekends etc and dream of it to tell there mates down the pub

I’ve had some miserable weekends sat in rainy Belgian motorway services, and fantastic weekends laying by a pool in Spain or sightseeing in Istanbul etc, you just have to take the rough with the smooth but I still prefer euro-work to UK work any day.

same here harry

If i had to do uk only work or even worst supermarket
think i would do something else or go back in office somewhere rather than do that

Had some cracking weekends over the years and some boring ones to
but all in all its a way of life rather than a job

gettin-on:

Yes, it is, apart from a brief period in the 1990s when I earned fantastic money, I could have earned more driving shifts for Tesco and been home every day but it would drive me round the bloody twist.

I always loved travel, and driving more than I loved money, and you just can’t beat a trip over the Blanc or Millau Viaduct etc. :smiley:

Forgot to say welcome earlier, excuse my manners, welcome to TruckNet. Stick around and swap stories, post photos if you can, we always enjoy that!

Harry Monk:

gettin-on:

Yes, it is, apart from a brief period in the 1990s when I earned fantastic money, I could have earned more driving shifts for Tesco and been home every day but it would drive me round the bloody twist.

I always loved travel, and driving more than I loved money, and you just can’t beat a trip over the Blanc or Millau Viaduct etc. :smiley:

Forgot to say welcome earlier, excuse my manners, welcome to TruckNet. Stick around and swap stories, post photos if you can, we always enjoy that!

loved getting back to the total at zeebrugge for the weekend, beat sitting at ghendorf all weekend

markwill:

Harry Monk:

gettin-on:

loved getting back to the total at zeebrugge for the weekend, beat sitting at ghendorf all weekend

Apart from the food at that place was utter crud.

All in all i have only ever had one job where i would get back and that was consistent round tripping. If i’m honest round tripping the same place week in week out gets just as boring as UK tramping after a while. Manchester - Stuttgart, Manchester - Stuttgart, Manchester - Stuttgart, Manchester - Stuttgart, Manchester - Stuttgart, Manchester - Stuttgart. I enjoyed the varied work Maroc, Rumo, Iti and alike, but the downfall was you where very rarely home. In fact the woman at the toilets in Tangiers did my washing more than my then wife.

gettin-on:
Best one i heard was on poole /cherbourg few years back

Sat there telling us he had to one hit it to Madrid etc

Turned and said to him you going via limoges and lyon then though the frejus
and yes he was at this point half the lads walked away ■■■■■■■ them selves

Get off boat went over for coffee had to wait hour for tacho break
and there he was doing a change over
saw other driver later on in day and was there uk shunter and was first time he been across
had to laugh

But loads out there want the euro work but not the weekends etc and dream of it to tell there mates down the pub

Good story, I absolutely agree that loads of drivers like the idea of ‘euro work’ but not the reality.

When I worked long term in Europe I could almost set my watch on how soon some of my Brit colleagues would start bleating about ‘needing to be home this weekend…’ Usually the been everywhere done everything type are the first.

It’s not the first time Toby has started a thread on this theme, must of got spun on the dock again eh?

BTW what is this facination with the TOTAL at Zeebrugge? Last time I stopped there Princess Diana died. I used to think it was crap and just carried on.

W

I used to think The Total was a good place, good coffee a decent cafe as I recall, red or white fuel on tap & a decent fitter if required & as a Transcon owner a yard full of spare parts to be had, what was not to like■■?

tell you what harry its driving me round the twist now :frowning: delivering to these supermarkets.
much rather be trucking back and forth to italy again to late now i suppose.

JohnyRose63:
tell you what harry its driving me round the twist now :frowning: delivering to these supermarkets.
much rather be trucking back and forth to italy again to late now i suppose.

Not entirely too late, there is still some being done by Brits, but not a lot.
The job just isn’t what it used to be you know ! :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

I enjoyed going abroad for the three years that I did it between 2006-09 but it was a far cry from what the job was when I went with my dad at every opertunity between 1993-2001, when things were more care free and there were hundreds of other British trucks everywhere. I remember my first trip abroad with him back in 1993 to Barcelona in a C reg Iveco Turbo and every single service area on the way down had a camp of British trucks at night, everyone waved etc. Come 2006 when I started doing Swiss and Germany and most weeks I wouldn’t see another UK truck at all. I’ve got more chance of bumping into a fellow British driver here in North America driving a Canadian truck than I do in Germany for example, these days.

You do see the odd one or two, but not too often!

robinhood_1984:
I enjoyed going abroad for the three years that I did it between 2006-09 but it was a far cry from what the job was when I went with my dad at every opertunity between 1993-2001, when things were more care free and there were hundreds of other British trucks everywhere. I remember my first trip abroad with him back in 1993 to Barcelona in a C reg Iveco Turbo and every single service area on the way down had a camp of British trucks at night, everyone waved etc. Come 2006 when I started doing Swiss and Germany and most weeks I wouldn’t see another UK truck at all.

Exactly my experience. I last went to Italy about two years ago, and apart from a few around Calais, the first British truck I saw coming the other way was on the climb up to Mont Blanc. I didn’t see any at all in Italy, and on the whole trip saw less than half a dozen.

As you say, back in the day there would be at least half a dozen parked in every service area all the way there and back.

Comapny I used to pull for still do Italy on a regular basis. One thing that kills it is the frieght train from belguim. Go there load into a train that goes to Italy once your empty can reload form the same the yard back to the UK and the company is still in profit

was once said ‘euro wannabe’ learnt a very hard lesson with my first job abroad and that was that everything said in my interview was utter ■■■■■■■■. Thankfully i kept my head in it for the twelve months experiance , i promptly told the boss to shove it when he awarded his drivers with a forty quid pay cut as there was no money in the job. Now work for a fella in uttoxeter away all week every week inc weekends doing fridge work ,and wouldnt swop it for the world if there was a down side id say it would be coming back to the uk to be treated like dogmuck by all rdc staff. Alot of wannabes will struggle with the job when they can work for a supermarket and earn alot more and be home . but a run to italy beats widness everyday in my book :

How you doin rich, how’s Simon treating you.