Euro Map Recommendations

Driving an old VW Camper with some uni mates to Finland in 2 weeks time (ok , we’re driving to Germany then ferry).

Looking for some good maps fo France and Germany (possibly Finland but as where we are going is 6k from the ferry terminal) I dont think its needed.

Looking at:

amazon.co.uk/Road-Atlas-Fran … 953&sr=1-1

and

amazon.co.uk/Big-Road-Atlas- … 990&sr=1-1

We have about 48 hours to do the 500 ish mile but plan on avoiding tolls and going the scenic route. Also could come in handy if I ever end up on the other side of the pond in a lorry.

Good choices or not?

If you are shipping Dover/Calais you really don’t need a map of France, you won’t be driving enough in it to warrant one. I would think you would be going France - Belgium - Holland - Germany - Ferry Port and there are no tolls for you in a camper van that way at all.

What I was thinking. Not exactly sure where we are going from/to (I didnt book anything).

We may avoid the toll roads all together “speed” isnt exactly what this bus can do.

Sockpuppet:
What I was thinking. Not exactly sure where we are going from/to (I didnt book anything).

We may avoid the toll roads all together “speed” isnt exactly what this bus can do.

You’ll have a harder job finding toll roads on that route than avoiding them. There aren’t any.

there is that tunnel at antwerp with the funny name with a toll if you want to pay instead of the free car one or the kenady tunnel

malcolmj:
there is that tunnel at antwerp with the funny name with a toll if you want to pay instead of the free car one or the kenady tunnel

The only bloody toll road i know of in belgium and i make 1 wrong turn and end up on it having got a bit confused on my way to holland… and before you state the obivious i know i took a wrong turn lol

the Liefskenhoek tunnel

If you want a map of France, this is the one you want. Michelin Atlases.
(The French one, funnily enough :open_mouth: :laughing: )

Personally, for a map of Germany, I would get the ADAC Atlas now, but I’m still using the AA Big Atlas of Germany I bought years ago, which I have no complaints with.
(You would obviously want the 2007 one).

Both the ADAC and Michelin Atlases have weight and height limits marked on them, although the map markings are quite small, so you have to look for them. They don’t have big ‘in your face’ signs like the UK AA Truckers does.
These would therefore be better for work purposes than the AA Atlases.

I would get a European Atlas as well, to tie the two maps routes together. It’s also useful for general route planning and tracking yourself en-route.
A European Atlas would probably give you more than enough information to get you through France, Belgium, Lux’ and into the general area where a large scale map would be more useful…

Buy a tomtom you tight git!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

i tried tomtom, doesn’t have streel level for a lot of spain, i got becker satnav instead, postcodes me to the door in spain…

ive got a tom tom , never had a problem in spain with it , as for maps i go with the michelin maps for france , spain and portugal , italy and benelux and germany , further away i go for that countries own one . a good one for holland is the (dutch bible) shell street atlas . i didnt like the belgium tnt street atlas .

I knew I’d seen it somewhere, but I couldn’t find a reference to it anywhere. I couldn’t remember the name either.

If I was buying a map of Germany, I would get the Falk Truckeratlas. It’s a bit pricey, but like the UK AA Truckers Atlas, it’s worth it.
It’s got hills, as well as height, width and weight limits marked on it, among other things.