Euro experience

Just wondering how the hell you get started in euro driving?
Every job I see expects you to have euro experience, do they expect you to have experience driving a HGV in europe or does car/van experience count?
Their must be companies that will give us a chance. :confused: :confused: :confused:

It’s just the same as most driving jobs, if you want to do it, you’ll get the experience somehow…

just tell them you have been doin Euro drivers forum for 3 years :wink:

ist Euro job i went for , they ask me have i driven in europe? and can i drive an arctic?
yes i said
(but not done both at same time!!)
driven works van to West germany once
drove with parents to Hungary in 83

only passed my test 6 months before and was on agency work doing walkers crisps and co-op!

was the last week before the end of permits and nobody told me bout them, france, belguim, holland and germany 6 drops and 4 collections, loads of help from other drivers, both UK and dutch belgie etc in that week. only 25 at the time. Enjoyed it done it for variuos companies next 15years

Tell white lies,how can they prove it,a caravan or camper,ok no prob.

Just lie like a flatfish, it got me a start. :wink:

I’d been driving for a local firm of Civil Engineers for about 12 months since passing my test. Mainly rigid tippers but occasionally artics.

One of our drivers, who had done Euro work mentioned the firm who he had worked for were looking for drivers so I went along to see them.

The owner asked if I had driven abroad, yes I replied truthfully (once drove down to the South of France in an old Transit on a camping holiday). He also asked if I had experience of clearing customs, to which I lied, though the driver who put me on to the job had given me some pointers, though this was never pursued.

Got the job and reported for work the following week and was sent to Spain in the company of two other drivers and told not to loose sight of them. Both were very helpful and really pulled me through.

On the down side the money was crap but I did gain experience and had a great time to boot

squarepeg:
Got the job and reported for work the following week and was sent to Spain in the company of two other drivers and told not to loose sight of them. Both were very helpful and really pulled me through.

On the down side the money was crap but I did gain experience and had a great time to boot

So now you’ve got some ‘Euro experience’ :sunglasses: .
Next time your asked, it’ll be a whiter lie :sunglasses: .

Simon:

squarepeg:

So now you’ve got some ‘Euro experience’ :sunglasses: .
Next time your asked, it’ll be a whiter lie :sunglasses: .

I eventually did loose sight of them, but it was 20 odd years ago

Often it’s a case of being in the right place at the right time, that’s how I got my first Euro job many moons ago. At our place we are so busy on the European side we are sending agency guys who have never been over the water before on runs to Paris, Eindoven and several places in Germany. They do get detailed instructions though to help them with things like procedure at the train and getting the German road tax etc and so far none of them have [zb]'d up. Right place at right time for them.

What are the chances of driving the car to the company premises,loaded with all the night out gear,licences and passport,and they ship you out that night,because a driver was ill or failed to turn up,or walked out that day.It would be a gamble.

toby1234abc:
What are the chances of driving the car to the company premises,loaded with all the night out gear,licences and passport,and they ship you out that night,because a driver was ill or failed to turn up,or walked out that day.It would be a gamble.

That has been how I have got nearly every continental job I’ve ever had.

If they’ve got a trailer that should have shipped yesterday, an angry client and an idle tractor unit, then when I walk through the door "saying “I might be crap but I can start right NOW”, they think I am a vision from Heaven. :wink:

Harry Monk:
they think I am a vision from Heaven. :wink:

Then you ring 3 days later to say you’ve tipped in Seville and they think your the best thing since sliced bread :unamused:

Ross.

saw a job for long distance work on jobtube last week, can;t remember what it said about exp they where more looking for the right character as it would be weeks away at a time.

bigr250:

Harry Monk:
they think I am a vision from Heaven. :wink:

Then you ring 3 days later to say you’ve tipped in Seville and they think your the best thing since sliced bread :unamused:

Ross.

lazy b ross, should have tipped the next day.
get an irish driver and its tipped the next day,not me by the way.
i stop for the vino and do it in two. :smiley: :smiley:

on a more serious note.
when i started doing continental in 1978,i was in dublin with plenty of small firms of 3 or 4 trucks.
if you knew someone that drove for them,or knew them,that was it,you were in.
jump forward to 2009.
small firms all gone,or mostly anyway.
now its all CVS and rules and regulations.
not many jobs available fron a bar stool like the GOOD OLD DAYS.
i think its no different in the uk.
not so easy to get started out anymore.i have never had a CV in my life.
i wish the best to all the young and new drivers starting out these days,and i dont envy you as the rules tighten up and fines get bigger.
id hate to be starting out now.