Euro driving

New to this Euro driving lark - am back from 1st trip (2 weeks to France & Spain) and have got a few questions…can any of you help me pls■■?

• Re Tachos: do you have to keep tacho in situ for 24 hrs or just when driving?

• Is there a book or web address where I can get more info on euro tacho laws?

• Is there a book/web address on euro lgv driving?

• Is there a book/web address listing all the “Les Routiers” diners etc?

If you can help a reply would be appreciated.

Jon

*Tachos: do you have to keep tacho in situ for 24 hrs or just when driving?
YES - The French want to see your rest break on a tacho. I have found the easiest way is to put a tacho in at end of duty and a new tacho at start of duty. In this way I am not worried about tacho times overlapping.

No answer - I await another drivers response.

• Is there a book/web address on euro lgv driving?
    No answer- I await another drivers response.

• Is there a book/web address listing all the “Les Routiers” diners etc?
    dkv-euroservice.com/index.jsp can be a help but you may need to register…

Monkey, the RHA do a small handbook for Euro driving laws etc as I recall … like Ossie, I leave a tacho in all the time I am over the water. The gendarmes prefer to SEE the breaks on the tacho then have to stand there working them out by looking at previous one for finish time and present one for start time. It will mean that sometimes you may use 3 tachos over the course of 2 days but it will save you fines!! I have known a gendrame let me off a overdrive simply because rest period before and after had both been 12 hours and he could see it!! As he put it “Lots of driving but lots of sleep… good!!”

flyinmonkey68:

You can find all the details on the drivers hours rules on the Department of Transport website, here.

thank you, for all the info so far it really helps as the boss isnt that approachable.if you get to hear anymore i would appreciate it

there is no law that states you must leave your card in all the time, i never have done and have yet to have a gendarme, douane, police, even crs question this, you can’t be fined for taking the card out at the end of a shift

that can be true, BD, but I think it is one of those ‘personal’ things … I just prefer to leave one in all the time … then they KNOW you have been resting and not tipping etc off the card. If I can make life easy for a French Official, I will…cos then he can be a lot amenable.

same here bear, its a personal thing for me i don’t like the way they insist on these little laws they make up and tell you its ec law so i take mine out just to argue the point, the thing is not one french official has ever mentioned anything about taking the card out, and i get stopped more than the average because of running sundays

I agree with that, there isnt any rule to say you have to leave a card in that I know of, but when I used to weekend regularly in Germany Drivers would come in to the park just to change their cards on a saturday & sunday.

I have seen the dutch do it too at Meer