Euro driving, first time

We are planning a trip to Belgium in the summer by car & I’ve never driven in Europe or abroad before any helpful tips or websites I can look at. We are going via Eurotunnel. We aim to visit the Wifes grandfathers grave at Poperinge then onto Brugge then return via Dunkirk & then Eurotunnel again. Thanks

Arfa its simple mate it takes about 5/10 minutes to get used to it and away you go, providing you are a confident driver you should have no problems but just be aware that when in France an indicator means absolutely nothing some of them are on all the time just for fun… :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Another thing to remember in France (don’t know about the rest cos i’ve only done France) is that although they drive on the right, you still give way to the right!
e.g.
on roundabouts you have to give way to vehicles entering the roundabout not like here where they give way to you :open_mouth:

Semtex:
Another thing to remember in France (don’t know about the rest cos i’ve only done France) is that although they drive on the right, you still give way to the right!
e.g.
on roundabouts you have to give way to vehicles entering the roundabout not like here where they give way to you :open_mouth:

France hasn’t had priorite a droite at roundabouts for over 20 years now.

drivingabroad.co.uk pretty much covers the technical details.

Absolutely everybody finds it easier than they thought it would be.

One bit of advice, pay extra attention when pulling back onto a road from a car park, eg at a restaurant etc. This is the easiest time to forget yourself and start driving on the wrong side of the road. Otherwise you can’t really go wrong as you are following everybody else and going with the flow.

Good luck.

Harry Monk:

Semtex:
e.g.

France hasn’t had priorite a droite at roundabouts for over 20 years now.

6 years ago I was told it was :unamused:

Thanks folks for the replies. If was going in the truck i wouldn’t worry BUT its my car so I’m just a little worried. Cant be much worse than the M25 in rush hour can it?

S’easy. When you come out of Sangatte Tunnel Terminal, follow the signs for Calais and Dunkerke. Stay on that motorway as you pass Calais. About 30 minutes after leaving the tunnel, exit at junction 28, signposted Lille. Then come off at the third junction, j13, signposted Steenvorde, Poperinge, Ieper (Ypres)… Probably take about an hour I would say (according to ViaMichelin it is 88km). By the time you get to Poperinge you will feel quite at ease with it and should have no problem with your onward journey.

watch that road to poperinge, it is rather tight,and dont forget your supply,s at steenvorde just on the border.
also when you come off jnct 13 the short straight road to the border is a popular spot for old bill, so watch your speed. :wink:

Thanks Terry & Harry its the Lijssenthoek Military Cemetry West-Vlaanderen.
I will have a dam good navigater in the Wife so I’m sure we will get through. Thanks agaon for the replies.

and also remember when you on normal roads YOU ARE IN THE DITCH… so thats how u no ur on the right side of the road

I thought it might be a visit to a war cemetary. They are beautifully maintained and dignified places. At this remove, it’s difficult to understand how different it must have been during the conflict.

Interesting page at ww1cemeteries.com/ww1cemeteries/ … metery.htm

Another tip I used when I first went back to Europe.

Get a fairly long piece of card, fold it along its length. Then draw a big arrow on it.
Put it on the dashboard where you can see it, with the arrow pointing to the side of the road you should be driving on.
When you come back to the UK, turn the card over so the arrow is still visible, pointing the other way Leave it in your car for a few weeks.
You might be surprised to hear that its mainly holiday makers, back in their home countries, who have the most accidents.

I think its because you constantly drum it into your head, “I must drive on the right”, for the whole time you’re abroad. Then you come off the ferry/train and feel you can relax because you’re back home. But after druming it into your head for that time abroad, some of it sticks. You will come to a junction somewhere, sometime and have to think, what side of the road should I be on? Or even worse, whats that idiot doing on the wrong side of the road? Oh [zb], its me :open_mouth: