EURO 6

With EURO6 looming (only 5 months away ) i was wondering on owner drivers opinions on horse power .Presently the Swedes and some owner drivers like the huge horse powers,nothing long with that …Now with EURO 6 which need SCR and EGR ( except Iveco who have managed EURO 6 with SCR only ,will that convert people to IVECO ■■?) Back to the point ,with SCR and EGR mating the horse power to the type of work is now more important than ever ,EURO 6 engines have to be worked hard,So the show 700hp engine delivering to tescos is a no no as you will never get the temperatures up to get DOC ,DPF,SCR ,AMOX to operate as they should …Looks like 500ish hp is the max am interested in what you think .Have any of you looked at EURO6 yet ■■? Our demo was sold before we received it !!!

V8 scania euro 6 is £10,000 more expensive than a V8 scania euro 5

I’ve been told of a similar price difference between euro 5 and 6 from Volvo.

Reading that article last week in commercial motor it does seem that you have to keep euro6 engines working hard to keep the exhaust hot enough for all the after treatment to work. But I’ve always bought trucks with a business head on and not gone for unnecessary extra power.

Hopefully the DPF will fare better there than in North America. Here the 2007-10 DPF engines were a complete disaster.

Some of the 2010 engines (EGR SCR & DPF) are just as bad, you get a bad one and it will send you to the poor house.

A friend of mine has just got rid of ten of them as he couldn’t them on the road. The problems are almost always DPF related. More specifically, the sensors.

Hopefully the 24v systems there will handle the power requirements better than the 12v they use in North America.

The sensors are so sensitive that a micro drop in voltage trips them out and then it all goes wonky.

If I was going Euro6 I’d go Italian, or I’d make sure the lorry had the biggest alternator and the best batteries money could buy to try and avoid the sensor failures.

newmercman:
Hopefully the DPF will fare better there than in North America. Here the 2007-10 DPF engines were a complete disaster.

Some of the 2010 engines (EGR SCR & DPF) are just as bad, you get a bad one and it will send you to the poor house.

A friend of mine has just got rid of ten of them as he couldn’t them on the road. The problems are almost always DPF related. More specifically, the sensors.

Hopefully the 24v systems there will handle the power requirements better than the 12v they use in North America.

The sensors are so sensitive that a micro drop in voltage trips them out and then it all goes wonky.

If I was going Euro6 I’d go Italian, or I’d make sure the lorry had the biggest alternator and the best batteries money could buy to try and avoid the sensor failures.

have you fallen over and had a severe bang to the head?

the Italian made trucks in the UK are by far the worst for electrical issues :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Things may have changed then, I know the early FIATs had a reputation for dodgy electrics, but I never had an electrical issue with any of the seven IVECO I owned over the years, except the SAMT box of tricks in a 520 EuroStar that got replaced with a gearstick. They were Fuller components, not IVECO too.

In fact the only lorries I ever had electrical problems with were Volvo, but that was wiring mostly and I’m talking about older F and FL series lorries.

Like you Rob, I would stick to an old Euro3 Daf or similar and keep overhauling it, it would mean staying out of London, but that’s no place to be driving a lorry anyway.

newmercman:
Things may have changed then, I know the early FIATs had a reputation for dodgy electrics, but I never had an electrical issue with any of the seven IVECO I owned over the years, except the SAMT box of tricks in a 520 EuroStar that got replaced with a gearstick. They were Fuller components, not IVECO too.

In fact the only lorries I ever had electrical problems with were Volvo, but that was wiring mostly and I’m talking about older F and FL series lorries.

Like you Rob, I would stick to an old Euro3 Daf or similar and keep overhauling it, it would mean staying out of London, but that’s no place to be driving a lorry anyway.

i knew there was a reason that i had kept that old DAF :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

If it ain’t broke…

Better the devil you know…

(Other cliches are available)

My 8yr old Scania used to get exactly the same rates as my brand new IVECOs :bulb:

As an O/D or small fleet you would be better off buying a 15k Daf SSC or similar, spending 10-15k getting the engine overhauled and the paint freshened up.

You can’t go into London (hey ho) you don’t have any warranty (which you won’t need) and you haven’t got the latest number plate (put a private plate on it) they’re the only downsides I see.

Euro6, no thanks…

We ve had electrical faults broken wires on xf105 s which were less than 12 moths old and don’t start on Volvos there in another league when it comes to wiring faults , Ivecos aren’t perfect by any stretch of the imagination but I sometimes think people slate them unfairly .

Volvo cars with DPF problems are very common, lets hope its big brother doesn’t have the same issues.

brados:
Volvo cars with DPF problems are very common, lets hope its big brother doesn’t have the same issues.

That would be a psa engine i’d guess