Euro 6 is this for real

Talking to a Cotswald Flour driver last week who has a new DAF six wheeler and he reckons that a warning comes on dash to clean out exhaust.To do this he has to find some onsurfaced road remove a side cover,pour oil and diesel into the exhaust system and rev engine hard,this cleans out the system.If you do it on tarmac it will melt it.Is this the way of modern motors.By the way this truck cost over £120,000 and has been back to DAFs 32 times with faults.Glad I,m out of it. :frowning: :open_mouth: :unamused:

He’s talking out of his exhaust :exclamation:

It will have a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) instead of a normal exhaust box, this filter gets clogged with soot (a by product of EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) when the filter clogs it causes excessive back pressure so needs to be cleaned and it does this by going in to regeneration mode.

A seventh injector squirts diesel into the hot DPF and it burns off the soot build up, in normal use the system does a passive regen, the heat from the exhaust gases and a bit of diesel from the extra injector is enough to keep the filter clean, only when the soot build up is excessive will it ask for a parked regen.

This involves the engine running at high rpm and the seventh injector dosing the DPF with diesel.

If the truck is requesting parked regens then it has a problem.

The only problem with that is nobody will have a clue how to fix it, they’ll plug it in and throw a ton of parts at it, but it will all be in vain, when these EGR/DPF systems start playing up they never seem to stop. :cry:

Nathan ? Aka Cotswoldcrunch

Mr newmercman is spot on, blocked DPF’s, costing the car industry a lot of money with warranty claims. Worst case scenario is a wrecked engine, DPF blocked, diesel dilutes engine oil…BOOM. As I type there is a Jaguar XF 3.0l diesel in my local garage having a new “short” engine fitted at a cost of £3000ish. It’s out of warranty, Jaguar don’t want to know.
The DPF is the invention of the devil himself. I’m lucky, my Jaguar is a diesel but it was one of the last to be built without a DPF.
I think Mr Dunbar has an XF, does it have a DPF Larry?

Hiya i can understand the exhaust is never strained enough to make the pipe decoke(remember TS3,s/and Foden strokers olduns).
ok so he puts some cleaning fluid in a chamber and revs the ■■■ off this lorry…just a mo you can’t rev a lorry until
its in motion. dose this chap drive down this road while hes sweeping his chimney…also if drivers are not aloud to
change bulbs…whats he doing messing with specified EURO 6 parts. sound odd to me…but the new laws are odd any way.

Happy days! :smiley:

Now I know what is meant by a regeneration system. Now I can die happy - but not today, thank you.

David

It’s a stupid law. The filter collects the soot, to stop it getting into the atmosphere. Then, when the filter is full, extra fuel is burned to blow the soot out. Surely the environmental lobbyists must realise that this is a wrong’un?

There is an opportunity here, for a firm to make removable DPFs- just put the thing on for the annual test and remember to keep it in a clean place for the rest of the year. :laughing:

you can take the insides out and have the vehicle remapped .they recon you dont even need them in this country because our fuel is refined better

Hey, Some has told me it is even more posion as lets say an Euro 3, but the law will reduce fine dust.
Is Ad Bue not a posion i don’t know ■■?, for me the Euro 2 was enough and still possible without electronics.
Never comes back the wagons which you could repair with a hammer and a tongs.

Eric,

The trouble with the EGR,DPF,SCR deletes is there are 100s of parameters within the ECU that read info from them, so you really need someone who knows their stuff to do the remapping.

There are some systems out there that disconnect the high temperature shut down sensors as they’re all linked to the EGR, first thing you know about it is when you hear clonk clonk bang stop.

The whole emissions control thing is beyond a joke, the bloke that designed the EGR idea is claimed to have said that EGR is the worst thing you can possibly do to a diesel engine, not exactly confidence inspiring :cry:

Had the EGR valve blanked off on some of my older vehicles which solved the problem. I suppose that’s not an option with the newer vehicles.
Cheers Dave.

As I said Dave, there’s a lot more communication between systems now, they all piggy back on other things too, so you shut one thing down and it has a knock on effect that can be catastrophic.

A friend of mine had an EGR/DPF delete done on a ■■■■■■■ ISX, it went from being a complete dog to being a fantastic lorry. It gained nearly 2mpg and would pull hills in top cog that used to see it drop two or more splits. It used to suffer from low oil pressure as the soot build up in the oil was clogging the oil filter, now it doesn’t, obviously that soot is now going out of the stack, which the tree huggers don’t like, but a 2mpg saving has to balance that out in environmental damage surely? In any case, you can’t make an omelette without breaking a few eggs…

Years ago there was a cartoon in ‘Commercial Motor’ or similar of a lorry cab (looked like a Bedford TK/KM) showing the exhaust being routed into the cab with the caption “The enviromentalists are happy but it’s not too popular with the drivers”. imho the tree huggers will never be happy whatever is done untill there’s no traffic at all and the supermarket shelves etc are filled by magic.

Dan Punchard:
Nathan ? Aka Cotswoldcrunch

yea i thought that dan :unamused:

grumpy old man:
Mr newmercman is spot on, blocked DPF’s, costing the car industry a lot of money with warranty claims. Worst case scenario is a wrecked engine, DPF blocked, diesel dilutes engine oil…BOOM. As I type there is a Jaguar XF 3.0l diesel in my local garage having a new “short” engine fitted at a cost of £3000ish. It’s out of warranty, Jaguar don’t want to know.
The DPF is the invention of the devil himself. I’m lucky, my Jaguar is a diesel but it was one of the last to be built without a DPF.
I think Mr Dunbar has an XF, does it have a DPF Larry?

Yes my XF has a DPF, I add dipetane fuel treatment just as a precaution, It also prevents waxing, Regards Larry.

Im a bit confused here , do the euro 6 vehicles use ad blue , weve just taken delivery of a new CF Daf 6x4 unit ive only seen a couple of photos of it but i cant see an ad blue tank ,what i can see is a very large exhaust box on the offside

Remember reading one of the manufacturers moved it to the back wall of cab

well put newmercman, my car is dpf a right pain they are, mine will need eolys fluid soon 30quid road tax yes but 40 quid a litre for fluid wish i had a normal engine

What car you got iceman, we have a Peugeot 3008 1.6 diesel with fapp,seems o.k. done 38.000 miles mainly local. regards, jack. :slight_smile: