Euro 6 engines

Are they more trouble than they are worth ?
Had “Exhaust gas after clean faulty” warning come up on the display on Thursday,the engine warning light also came on.
Took it into the main dealers the same day an was told it “should” be sorted by Monday.
It has got to have some recall work done on the fuel system wiring aswell.Is this a common problem on these new fangled engines,or is it a Mercedes thing?

The Euro 6 Merc seems very unreliable we had a load in my last company and they were forever round the fitters, i’m not sure if they are going to buy any more .

bald bloke:
i’m not sure if they are going to buy any more .

I think they will, comfortable & good on fuel apparently.

The ones on short distance work tend to have the most problems. All of our fleet do at least two lots of 3 to 4hrs constant driving every single day so even though they’ve got over 200,000km on (yes, 200k in a year) all the filters still show completely clean on the dash info display and I’ve never seen one put up a regen warning.

I took a Euro 6 Scania R450 out from Aldershot to Bristol and back via Radstock last Friday. The Ad-Blue level was above 40% when I left and when I got to the services outside Bristol, it was down to 18%. It was a 44T artic fully laden (well, a tonne and a half down at Calne near Swindon), but I’ve never seen Ad-Blue consumption this great. I’ve heard other operators say that their Euro 6 trucks guzzle the stuff at a huge rate also.

IndigoJo:
I took a Euro 6 Scania R450 out from Aldershot to Bristol and back via Radstock last Friday. The Ad-Blue level was above 40% when I left and when I got to the services outside Bristol, it was down to 18%. It was a 44T artic fully laden (well, a tonne and a half down at Calne near Swindon), but I’ve never seen Ad-Blue consumption this great. I’ve heard other operators say that their Euro 6 trucks guzzle the stuff at a huge rate also.

We have a new T series rigid that uses about a tank of Ad-blu every week while my older 62 plate Premium will only need filling up once every 6-8 weeks or so. Same size Ad-blue tank too.

Why is Ad-blue so ■■■■ expensive? I think it’s about 85p a litre at the pump last time I looked.
I can’t believe it’s as expensive as fuel to produce/refine, so either the tax is astronomical or someone is making a killing!

IndigoJo:

My R410 E6 @ 32t uses an extra 33% on adblue, compared to my old R420 E5…

We’ve got about 12 Euro 6 Actros’s and I don’t think any of them have had any issues whatsoever. Even our old Euro 5 DAFs that are notorious for adblue faults have been fine. We don’t fill our adblue tanks from an IBC via a watering can though. We have a proper pump in the yard. I’ve reckon most adblue faults are caused by contamination from filling up using the watering can method.

damoq:
We’ve got about 12 Euro 6 Actros’s and I don’t think any of them have had any issues whatsoever. Even our old Euro 5 DAFs that are notorious for adblue faults have been fine. We don’t fill our adblue tanks from an IBC via a watering can though. We have a proper pump in the yard. I’ve reckon most adblue faults are caused by contamination from filling up from with the watering can method.

We recently changed from gravity feed IBC storage tanks to a proper pump system too but I fail to see how changing the way you fill the tank changes the likelihood of a fault.

damoq:
We’ve got about 12 Euro 6 Actros’s and I don’t think any of them have had any issues whatsoever. Even our old Euro 5 DAFs that are notorious for adblue faults have been fine. We don’t fill our adblue tanks from an IBC via a watering can though. We have a proper pump in the yard. I’ve reckon most adblue faults are caused by contamination from filling up using the watering can method.

I’ve only seen watering cans used once (and the truck I used on that job hardly used any on a run from Crawley to Sheffield) and the company I was with on Friday (with the Scania) has its own tanks but I also had to fill up with a tub bought from a filling station. Not sure there’s any connection.

The point I’m making about using a watering can is that it normally lies about in the yard. Dust and crap can get into it then eventually put into your trucks adblue tank. Some halfwit might even use the can for topping up the oil, screenwash etc in his truck. Again, this will no doubt end up in your adblue tank causing contamination which will end up causing adblue faults with your truck.

IndigoJo:

damoq:

I’ve only seen watering cans used once (and the truck I used on that job hardly used any on a run from Crawley to Sheffield) and the company I was with on Friday (with the Scania) has its own tanks but I also had to fill up with a tub bought from a filling station. Not sure there’s any connection.

Not sure if this is relevant, but I’ve had to pick up a few IBC’s before from customers who said the Ad-blu wasn’t right.
Don’t know the details of why though, just that they had to go back to the suppliers…
I assume it was a dodgy batch or something!

Evil8Beezle:
Why is Ad-blue so ■■■■ expensive? I think it’s about 85p a litre at the pump last time I looked.
I can’t believe it’s as expensive as fuel to produce/refine, so either the tax is astronomical or someone is making a killing!

Shouldnt be anymore than 29p if bought via IBC or from a dealer. May be more expensive at service station granted. People buying bulk will be paying less

IndigoJo:

It probably had a stupid wee tank, around 30ltr IIRC. I had a brand new Scania and nearly ran out of adBlue in it as I’d assumed it was the same size as my Renault, since I couldn’t see for the side skirt.

I have heard Scania are thirsty on the adBlue though. My Renault does 3l/100I’m according to the computermabob.

A.

The 410 & 450 Euro 6 Scania are Adblue only, no EGR gubbins so will use more Adblue

IndigoJo:

I do around 500-600km a night in a DAF CF 460 and use about 5 litres. Depends on the size of the Adblue tanks though as to what the gauge shows. On the DAF CFs we have, even though they’re double shifted we tend not to fill them up for the thick end of a week and it takes a couple of days to go from full to 7/8ths of a tank on the gauge so that’s well over 1000km. In comparison the MAN TGAs we had on hire would show 1/3 of a tank use a shift but you could only still get 5/6 litres in the same as the DAFs used so the MANs must have a really small Adblue tank compared to the DAF CFs.

I think mine is a 40lt tank.

Evil8Beezle:

Other than VAT, which of course is reclaimable, AdBlue carries no tax at all.

As the old saying goes, “it’s profit that makes things so dear.”

I drove a freight liner in canada with the dd engine at epa 10 regulations which is basically euro 6 and the engine is what is used by merc at euro 6 and it gave no end of ad blue and emmisions problems and tge guy I worked for sent all five back as they cost him so much in breakdowns and lost time.