EU & WTD confused? & how to work a digital tacho?

ello-its newbie class2 question time :slight_smile: when it comes to my working day do I have to comply with BOTH EU & Working Time Directive? I’ve been reading up a bit & in my interpretation (which is probably wrong) it means I get an extra 15 min break for every 6 hours work? so for 9 hours driving I get 105mins break plus the daily rest is that right?

out of all I’ve done drivers hours is what’s confusing me most, i’m hoping to move from the type of work i’m doing now to driving lorrys, not bothered if its 7.5 or proper class 2

I don’t want to shoot myself in the arse when I do get work by buggering up the drivers hours part, I could do with a layman’s guide to how to work a digi tachograph aswell as I have never used one, is there any guides to that anywhere?

I FEEL THIS IS THE BIT I’M MOST WORRIED ABOUT how to work the digi tacho properly, what to press when to press it when on the job! & being correct in my drivers hours/breaks

I’ve printed the VOSA guides which is 40 odd pages & if i’m honest I feel more confused than before I read it…

i’ll be packing in where i’m working within the month & i’ll going around local haulage/transport firms to have a natter to see if they will take on a newbie & show me the ropes, if no luck there i’ll be signing with a few agencies

its the ususal newbie worrys I suppose whenever you start a new job, but with lorrys & working times i want to know i’m interpreting the drivers hour correctly-hope you lot can help cheers all

nervoustimes:
when it comes to my working day do I have to comply with BOTH EU & Working Time Directive?

YES is the simple easy answer

Authorities = as long as you comply with EU then all is ok because so far they do not seem to have any interest in the RTD

Companies = EU regs is a must for all but RTD (WTD) is a lottery as some do and some do not bother

The same break can count for both EU and RTD but the EU driving time break rules take preference

nervoustimes:
I could do with a layman’s guide to how to work a digi tachograph aswell as I have never used one, is there any guides to that anywhere?

There are some digi simulator links on this site somewhere …

To be honest your fears would mostly be solved by attending a 7 hour CPC session on drivers hours and tachographs. You will be in the company of other more experienced drivers and have a days access to a trainer who will know most if not all the answers.

It will be money well spent and should cost around £50-£60. It will also be 7 hours towards your next 35

Perhaps making up a scenario and asking if its legal might help you understand so make up a shift and see … perhaps something like this …

start 0600
work 0600 - 0615
drive 0615 - 0745
work 0745 - 0805
drive 0805 - 0850
work 0850 - 0910
break 0910 - 0920 = did that deliberately to be less than 15 mins but it is recorded break but not enough for any EU or RTD break
work 0920 - 0930
drive 0930 -
You get the idea