EU rubbish

Im wondering how you/your drivers record this wtd e.u. garbage and what does the law actually demand regards records from the operator?

The reason I ask is our drivers fill out a sheet weekly which I print off and place in their folders, and then this sheet has to be entered onto the computer the following week, a laborious time consuming process, and then the sheets are stored away anyway!

Im trying to find out if this type of palaver is common in the industry or are we over complicating it at our place?

You are required as an employer to ensure that your drivers/workers do not contravene the WTD/RTD directive, but as far as I know there is no laid down way to keep the records. If you get an inspection then you will have to produce records to satisfy the inspectors.

A lot of firms use their tachograph analysis to give them the information required, but a simple recording will do. If you do use a form of tachograph analysis it also can be used as a management tool to make sure that drivers and vehicles are being used to their best advantage.

There are several companies who produce systems which are not particularly expensive, along with scanners for analogue charts and digital card readers. All nice and simple - but quite useful as well.

Well using the tacho seems like common sense to me, and lets face it that instrument is going to be more accurate than a lot of pen work from the driver. Im convinced that our system is crap and time consuming but thats just my opinion based on my limited experience with this be.u.rocracy bollox and obviously need to find better ideas before trying to get anything altered.

Because we have a mixed fleet and the drivers aren’t neccessarily on tacho every day, they fill in a sheet that covers the days when they aren’t on tacho and we have now added a couple of colums for work and poa. The theory is that it covers all hours and wtd requirements. We don’t enter it onto a computer because a, I can’t stand computers and b, from an inspection point I would have thought that it needs to be signed off by the driver anyway, though presumably you could get them to do that on a printout.

So far it seems to me that we do too much. I feel just a written record is enough.

I’m with you mate, its all overcomplicated unnecessary ■■■■■■■■■, that has done me no favours for sure. :unamused: