Eu referendum whats your vote

lczjs:
I think it is the wrong move to leave the EU as Transport will suffer.

Transport in the UK has never had a Fair Deal in Transport to Europe
with lack of permits books etc our Governments fault I think.

If we are successful and come out of the EU. UK Transport Companies
will have numerous problems and a lot will have to shut the doors.

European Transport Companies like Waberer’s will prosper.

Waberer’s is one of the most successful Transport Companies in Europe and does not
seem to have any problems moving goods about the EU including the UK for the
last 50 + years they will probably be more successful after the UK leaves the EU.

w3.waberers.com/Contents/Item/Display/2980

Talk of the Devil.
Today at my local Volvo dealer.

Buzzer and 5valve, I concur even though I voted to stay. I respect the majority vote.

Also about Boris, 1600 people were surveyed concerning his comments about letterboxes etc… 75% agreed that Boris was RIGHT, so who is out of step here?

gazzer:
Buzzer and 5valve, I concur even though I voted to stay. I respect the majority vote.

Also about Boris, 1600 people were surveyed concerning his comments about letterboxes etc… 75% agreed that Boris was RIGHT, so who is out of step here?

Bojo is right and he has the balls to put it in print, if you want to test the this out Gazzer go get a letterbox put it on and walk into a bank in Winchester and see what happens JD.

fodenway:
Let’s get this right.Yes we know the Brit government hates road transport because it likes rail transport and has historically sabotaged the UK haulage industry as part of that agenda.So how is more of the same,in the form of giving the work to the East Euro third country hauliers instead,good for us and going to fix that.As opposed to applying a rule that at least 50% of all loads originating from or destined for the UK by road have to make the journey on Brit registered trucks.IE a quota permit system that actually works in the interests of this country’s hauliers not foreign ones.

Wasn’t it the Tory Transport Minister Ernest Marples who appointed Dr. Richard Beeching (at a much higher salary than the PM) to close down a significant proportion of Britain’s railways in favour of a motorway building scheme involving Marples Ridgway, a company he’d founded and which was sold very cheaply to his own wife to avoid a ‘conflict of interest’ with his Parliamentary job? He had abolished the British transport Commission in preparation for the 1962 Transport Act, and introduced legislation to make rail closures easier. Not the actions of a “road transport hater”, surely?
[/quote]
Did you realise that it was the gracious lady Barbara Castle who closed the railways, introduced the breathalyser and motorway speed limit under a Labour Government with Harold Wilson in power?

Double post :unamused:

Spardo:

Buzzer:

gazzer:

Bojo is right and he has the balls to put it in print, if you want to test the this out Gazzer go get a letterbox put it on and walk into a bank in Winchester and see what happens JD.

Almost exactly what I have said in another forum, but you may have missed his point, he was arguing that, in spite of them looking like pillar boxes and looking silly, he nevertheless thought that such behaviour should not be banned in public.

So he was wrong, imo, to oppose a ban but ruined his point by following it up by saying something that he was right about but most people were afraid to say.

How did the goods get from all the different customers to any of the the stations in question ?.IE rail transport usually involved a road leg in any freight journey either by truck or horse before that other than in the rare case of customers having a dedicated rail terminal on their premises.

Morning CF,
In Southampton British rail had there own vehicles to pick up and deliver to customers.
They had quite a few Scarobs with auto couplings. But to be fare a good horse would be a little quicker in some places they delivered to. Harvey

HRS:
How did the goods get from all the different customers to any of the the stations in question ?.IE rail transport usually involved a road leg in any freight journey either by truck or horse before that other than in the rare case of customers having a dedicated rail terminal on their premises.

Morning CF,
In Southampton British rail had there own vehicles to pick up and deliver to customers.
They had quite a few Scarobs with auto couplings. But to be fare a good horse would be a little quicker in some places they delivered to. Harvey

Obviously, goods had to be taken to and from stations and goods yards by road, which is why the railway companies all had sizeable “road motor” fleets of their own. Ironically, the L.M.S. Railway had the world’s biggest road transport fleet in the 1930’s.

fodenway:

HRS:

Morning CF,

Obviously, goods had to be taken to and from stations and goods yards by road, which is why the railway companies all had sizeable “road motor” fleets of their own. Ironically, the L.M.S. Railway had the world’s biggest road transport fleet in the 1930’s.

As I said Beeching’s closure of branch lines would have made little if any difference to rail freight’s core activities of moving freight over long distances using the main line network.It just would have meant a small change in the road routing legs of any freight journey.Probably if anything actually increasing efficiency of rail freight by cutting down on the need for marshalling of rail wagons between local branch line and mainline routes.

While holding back road transport,with needless unrealistic dimensions and gross weight limits and the imposition of silly levels of road fuel taxation,was and still is all about the protection of those core rail activeties against competition from long distance road transport operations.

Buzzer:

Ironically Bojo is actually part of the establishment agenda that has brought the problem to our shores.While if he really had ‘the balls’ he’d have said that we should give Saudi backed radical Islam the equivalent rights here as the Saudis give to western cultural values there in terms of women’s dress code,and walked away from appeaser May and her Cons long before now.Notice UKIP not Mogg here.

breitbart.com/london/2018/08 … ate-crime/

Ho Ho Bojo

I see that there is still one or two who think we should leave, such a lost cause.

Chas Malthouse:
I see that there is still one or two who think we should leave, such a lost cause.

Think there are more than one or two think we should leave actually it was the majority but I have wondered if we were in control of our own laws and immigration and did not have to contribute such large sums of money to the EU gravy train weather the outcome of the vote would have been a different one but now just cant wait to leave and I for one hope there is no deal so we do not have to bow to there extortionate fee for doing so.
For sure what ever the outcome life will carry on and trade with the rest of the EU will continue as both need each other so why every one is worried is beyond me and if it all goes ■■■■ up you will have the pleasure of saying I told you so and of course vice versa if I am right, Buzzer.

Buzzer:

Chas Malthouse:

Think there are more than one or two think we should leave actually it was the majority

In remainer la la land they really think that with their mate May having sabotaged Brexit we’ve all now changed our minds and now think it would be so much better to remain instead and then replace May’s Con rabble with Blair and Labour again with May,Hammond,Corbyn and Starmer given a job each in Brussels. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Wheel Nut:

fodenway:
Let’s get this right.Yes we know the Brit government hates road transport because it likes rail transport and has historically sabotaged the UK haulage industry as part of that agenda.So how is more of the same,in the form of giving the work to the East Euro third country hauliers instead,good for us and going to fix that.As opposed to applying a rule that at least 50% of all loads originating from or destined for the UK by road have to make the journey on Brit registered trucks.IE a quota permit system that actually works in the interests of this country’s hauliers not foreign ones.

Wasn’t it the Tory Transport Minister Ernest Marples who appointed Dr. Richard Beeching (at a much higher salary than the PM) to close down a significant proportion of Britain’s railways in favour of a motorway building scheme involving Marples Ridgway, a company he’d founded and which was sold very cheaply to his own wife to avoid a ‘conflict of interest’ with his Parliamentary job? He had abolished the British transport Commission in preparation for the 1962 Transport Act, and introduced legislation to make rail closures easier. Not the actions of a “road transport hater”, surely?

Did you realise that it was the gracious lady Barbara Castle who closed the railways, introduced the breathalyser and motorway speed limit under a Labour Government with Harold Wilson in power?

With due respect to yourself and all who’ve given their ten penn’orth beforehand (and the admission that, as an ex-pat Pom, my opinion is really neither here nor there), it strikes me that both sides have valid points, and that both sides can cite past political decisions made by the ‘for’ or ‘agin’ or Labour or the Tories in defence of their position.

What strikes me from my position 12,000 miles away is that neither the ‘Remain’ nor the ‘Leave’ camp have the whole answer to Britain’s woes, much less Labour or the Tories as political factions - don’t ask me what the answer is cos I dunno, save to observe that the rate of immigration into Britain (legal or otherwise) must be addressed. But enough bollydicks - transport is what this forum is about and if there’s anything I’ve learned over the years, it’s that both road and rail freight transport have been chronically underfunded for decades. There is no use pitting one against the other - that game has been going on for decades, and look what that’s produced: clogged roads, collapsing rail infrastructure, delays and increasing frustration. The bigger issue (I think) is that freight transport has always been a necessity that no-one - either department or Minister - in the public sector could ever really handle: if they were popular they lacked the nouse to come up with a workable solution; if they knew what they were doing, it wasn’t politically popular. To those who think a penny invested in rail is a pound wasted on roads, all I can say is come to Straya and see what that outlook does for your roads, your deadlines and your “liveability”.

You have as much right to your say as anyone else Park Royal, especially if you are still a British Citizen, though perhaps not as interested because of economic connections, as those of us still a bit closer to the action.

But I would be interested in hearing your answer to the suggestion that WA, for instance, because of its remoteness from the central government and perhaps feeling a bit peeved and left out sometimes, was to hold a referendum on separation from the Commonwealth (of Australia).

To me, language differences aside (although you might feel that in some parts of the larger cities English is a minority language), there is a parallel between the Commonwealth of Australia and the commonwealth of the EU. I am profoundly sad at the impending loss of my European Citizenship and I think most Australians would feel the same way if really put to the test of separation on their continent.

Not sure what happened to my quote, my only point was that the majority of rail closures were implemented by Mrs Castle under Harold Wilson. The changes in BTC were Richard Beechings idea, the job losses were Labours.

Spardo:
To me, language differences aside (although you might feel that in some parts of the larger cities English is a minority language), there is a parallel between the Commonwealth of Australia and the commonwealth of the EU. I am profoundly sad at the impending loss of my European Citizenship and I think most Australians would feel the same way if really put to the test of separation on their continent.

Here’s a clue the states that make up the nation state of Australia ain’t the same thing as the stinking unwanted unjustifiable Reich that you and those like you are trying to impose across the sovereign independent Nation states of Europe.The correct analogy in that case would be if China decided to impose a United Sates of Asia ruled from Beijing on Australia with then those like you saying that they see themselves as part of that Federation not Australians.

I’m sure that Napoleon and numerous other tin pot dictators like him,such as those trying to hold the failed Yugoslav Federation together would have understood exactly where you’re coming from and no doubt you’d have been facing those fighting for the freedom of Europe’s nation states to govern themselves down the barrel of a gun as part of that argument.At least you’ve now clarified and confirmed your position and all the other treasonous remainers who view themselves as citizens of the non existent nation of USE/EUSSR or whatever name you’d like to give it.Make no mistake you people are a very dangerous rabble that should be put on trial for treason,subversion and activities against the state,before you do the same to us. :unamused:

ParkRoyal2100:

Wheel Nut:

fodenway:

With due respect to yourself and all who’ve given their ten penn’orth beforehand (and the admission that, as an ex-pat Pom, my opinion is really neither here nor there), it strikes me that both sides have valid points, and that both sides can cite past political decisions made by the ‘for’ or ‘agin’ or Labour or the Tories in defence of their position.

What strikes me from my position 12,000 miles away is that neither the ‘Remain’ nor the ‘Leave’ camp have the whole answer to Britain’s woes, much less Labour or the Tories as political factions - don’t ask me what the answer is cos I dunno, save to observe that the rate of immigration into Britain (legal or otherwise) must be addressed. But enough bollydicks - transport is what this forum is about and if there’s anything I’ve learned over the years, it’s that both road and rail freight transport have been chronically underfunded for decades. There is no use pitting one against the other - that game has been going on for decades, and look what that’s produced: clogged roads, collapsing rail infrastructure, delays and increasing frustration. The bigger issue (I think) is that freight transport has always been a necessity that no-one - either department or Minister - in the public sector could ever really handle: if they were popular they lacked the nouse to come up with a workable solution; if they knew what they were doing, it wasn’t politically popular. To those who think a penny invested in rail is a pound wasted on roads, all I can say is come to Straya and see what that outlook does for your roads, your deadlines and your “liveability”.

So are you saying that you’d like to see road trains banned there and only uk type dimensions and gross weights allowed and the pump price of diesel increased to around 2.5-3 dollars a litre to incentivise growth in rail transport ?. :confused: Truck net by train drivers for train drivers or is it turkeys voting for Christmas.:unamused: :laughing:

Spardo:
You have as much right to your say as anyone else Park Royal, especially if you are still a British Citizen, though perhaps not as interested because of economic connections, as those of us still a bit closer to the action.

But I would be interested in hearing your answer to the suggestion that WA, for instance, because of its remoteness from the central government and perhaps feeling a bit peeved and left out sometimes, was to hold a referendum on separation from the Commonwealth (of Australia).

Spardo,

The U.K. is leaving the EU,not Europe,the UK inhabitants are European citizens as long as the UK is part of Europe.

David