Eu referendum whats your vote

lczjs:
I think it is the wrong move to leave the EU as Transport will suffer.

Transport in the UK has never had a Fair Deal in Transport to Europe
with lack of permits books etc our Governments fault I think.

If we are successful and come out of the EU. UK Transport Companies
will have numerous problems and a lot will have to shut the doors.

European Transport Companies like Waberer’s will prosper.

Waberer’s is one of the most successful Transport Companies in Europe and does not
seem to have any problems moving goods about the EU including the UK for the
last 50 + years they will probably be more successful after the UK leaves the EU.

w3.waberers.com/Contents/Item/Display/2980

I agree, of course with everything you say, mate, but your example of Waberer’s will only add fuel to the flames in this particular thread, where commonsense is sadly lacking.

Waberer’s are reputed, probably justifiably, as being close to the wind, low paying, undercutting EEs. I wonder if all the trucks based in Felixstowe have British drivers and if they are all strictly within local (ie UK) laws of service and pay.

The answer may be, possibly not. But whatever the truth of their, and other such transporters’, operating policies is the fact is that a correct governmental crackdown on such practices is the only way to proceed.

Leaving the EU is so drasticly a bad a move that throwing out the baby with the bathwater, does not even come close. More like dismembering the poor little bugger and stuffing him down the plughole.

BTW purely as a matter of interest, how has Waberer’s been operating out of Hungary for 50 years? Well before the fall of communism (less than 30 years ago), or did they arise from the ashes of Hungarocamion? Just wondering. :confused:

So Boris Johnson has said what he sees the Muslims want him sacking Theresa May wants an apology the French Dutch Danes and Germans banned the Burka a while ago maybe this is one law the europeans did get right and one we definitely wont be adopting

ramone:
So Boris Johnson has said what he sees the Muslims want him sacking Theresa May wants an apology the French Dutch Danes and Germans banned the Burka a while ago maybe this is one law the europeans did get right and one we definitely wont be adopting

Definitely, right in every respect, too much of PC bandwagons in that benighted isle.

Try wearing one yourself and walking into a bank, ok, but as soon as your manly voice says ‘please can I put this cheque into my account’ sirens, flashing lights, crashing down of barriers and the road outside solid with black clad figures brandishing machine guns. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

No good at that point saying timidly ‘but I was just playing at pillar boxes, honest’ :laughing: :laughing:

lczjs:

Waberer’s is one of the most successful Transport Companies in Europe and does not
last 50 + years they will probably be more successful after the UK leaves the EU.

You seem to think that leaving the EU is such a terrible thing and it will spell disaster for the UK I for one voted with the majority and voted to leave and before any one says they did not have time to take in what was going on is bull crap as the British government spent millions warning every one what the craic was, in reality no one on this earth has any idea what will happen deal or no deal and there is no phone a friend on this subject.
Personally having been involved in International transport for 45 years and the company I started is still at it today albeit with fewer trucks namely because no one wants to do the job any more. Having gone though the years of begging and borrowing for permits and books this did have some restrictive measures on whom could do the work which at the time was better although a pain in the backside. As soon as the permits were abolished any Tom , ■■■■ or Harry could get a trailer and compete most of whom had no idea of what the cost were running abroad, this then opened the flood gates for the growth of huge operations who cut the rates to levels that were just not economic, this we have witnessed in our company where you lose a job not for £50 but a cut of 4 0r 5 hundred pounds. Having seen these companies come and go just as fast we as a country can still control this.
At the end of the day if what you say is true when we come out of the EU we wont have to worry about all these huge transport firms because all the trade we do at the moment in your opinion will cease so we wont have to worry about these trucks gracing our shores will we, and if they do we can curb that by charging accordingly a trick we have missed out on for years on these shores we could have made millions to improve our road system and numerous other causes.
One final point I would like to make is that when I started in the early 70’s the traffic out of the UK was roughly 50/50 with our foreign counterparts but today we only do 13% this is called competition I call it using cheap Eastern European labour as some are prepared to work for far less and are exploited to the full by these screwball outfits who’s margins are tight and invariably end up going bust owing a small fortune, Buzzer I voted out and cant wait.

Buzzer:

lczjs:

You seem to think that leaving the EU is such a terrible thing and it will spell disaster for the UK I for one voted with the majority and voted to leave and before any one says they did not have time to take in what was going on is bull crap as the British government spent millions warning every one what the craic was, in reality no one on this earth has any idea what will happen deal or no deal and there is no phone a friend on this subject.
Personally having been involved in International transport for 45 years and the company I started is still at it today albeit with fewer trucks namely because no one wants to do the job any more. Having gone though the years of begging and borrowing for permits and books this did have some restrictive measures on whom could do the work which at the time was better although a pain in the backside. As soon as the permits were abolished any Tom , ■■■■ or Harry could get a trailer and compete most of whom had no idea of what the cost were running abroad, this then opened the flood gates for the growth of huge operations who cut the rates to levels that were just not economic, this we have witnessed in our company where you lose a job not for £50 but a cut of 4 0r 5 hundred pounds. Having seen these companies come and go just as fast we as a country can still control this.
At the end of the day if what you say is true when we come out of the EU we wont have to worry about all these huge transport firms because all the trade we do at the moment in your opinion will cease so we wont have to worry about these trucks gracing our shores will we, and if they do we can curb that by charging accordingly a trick we have missed out on for years on these shores we could have made millions to improve our road system and numerous other causes.
One final point I would like to make is that when I started in the early 70’s the traffic out of the UK was roughly 50/50 with our foreign counterparts but today we only do 13% this is called competition I call it using cheap Eastern European labour as some are prepared to work for far less and are exploited to the full by these screwball outfits who’s margins are tight and invariably end up going bust owing a small fortune, Buzzer I voted out and cant wait.

+1

I voted to leave this mess called the EU and I was one of the so called at the time Idiots that voted back in the 70’s to enter the then called EEC much against the good advise of my elders, not to vote to enter, I was in import / exports back then and couldn’t see any problems arising, nothing I repeat nothing was ever said about the EEC morphing into EU and being governed by unelected bureaucrat’s who I have never heard of, as Buzzer says nobody has the foggiest idea what is going to happen when we leave but the choice right or wrong would have been mine, not some faceless bureaucrat, my children understand that and have voted to leave in the referendum and they are both trades men.

Spardo:

lczjs:
BTW purely as a matter of interest, how has Waberer’s been operating out of Hungary for 50 years? Well before the fall of communism (less than 30 years ago), or did they arise from the ashes of Hungarocamion? Just wondering. :confused:

To answer your question in regards to the time Waberer’s had been operating Spardo
Check out this Link:

w3.waberers.com/en/aboutus/history

lczjs:

Spardo:

lczjs:

To answer your question in regards to the time Waberer’s had been operating Spardo
Check out this Link:

w3.waberers.com/en/aboutus/history

Thank you, as I thought then, a successor to the State company, Hungarocamion. Or to put it into a UK perspective, a private company founded after the war, nationalised under communism, and then bought back/denationalised after the fall of communism. Interesting, I didn’t know that, always assumed that they were a ‘new’ company founded this century. :slight_smile:

Do you work for them, in England or abroad, and if so are your terms of employment compliant with your home base? Or perhaps, as some will allege, tied to conditions in Hungary? I should add that I have no idea what those conditions are in Hungary. :slight_smile:

Buzzer:

5Valve:
As it’s gone a bit quiet on this blog so I thought I would put my unwanted opinions into the arena. I spent around 30 odd years, on business, working abroad in many countries.
I hear that the European market is the answer to all our troubles, and, that we should subsume ourselves into the arms of the Brussels ’ Gravy Train ’ as they know where they are going, and, it’s in our best interests! The EU has 450m people crying out for our wares, or so we are told. In the early days 65% of our exports went there, now it’s down to just over 40%. In 2016, I think it was, out of the 27 other members only Ireland bought more than we sold it. Our so called exporters to the EU are not doing too well given the “massive” market they keep harping on they offer us. On the other hand, having done Geography and Maths at school, I note that the planet we live on has 7 Billion people and approx. 170 countries to have a go at and trade with. You could blow me over with a feather, there are 14 times more people outside the EU than living in it! Even the “Commonwealth”, remember them? have 2.4 Billion people and comprise 50 odd countries, i.e. The Commomwealth is four and a half times bigger than the EU! It is spread throughout the world
and offers trade products just as diverse as the EU, if not more so.
As a country we have a real problem with all the elected representatives in Parliament, The Second referendum we had in 2016, in my opinion righted a great wrong, as the lead politician, Heath in 1972 , did not come clean with the electorate as to where the EEC/EU end game was going. He new full well but did not spell it out, otherwise we would not have gone in. You would think that whatever the result, the magnitude of the 2016 vote was far more important than any normal election, and, that the politicians would follow the will of the people and knuckle down to some serious work, on behalf of the electorate. You now see the ‘Quality’ of our MP’s in all it’s glory, and, it’s not a pretty sight. As for the Media,I think we all have an answer for that one. There is a saying “Those who can , Do, Those who can’t, talk about it” That’s our Media in a nutshell.
I think we are at the point where we bite the bullet and tell them, no deal, no money, and we will speak to Merkel, Macron et al the week after we leave when they get the message.

(P.S. The EU has 20 Trillion of derivatives contracts at risk, together with 60 Billion of insurance liabilities, i.e. “mucho risko” in the short term. Its not all gloom and doom!!!)

Well written that man, true facts that our government cant see or choose not to, tell them to stuff there deal and there ransom lets see what happens as all the disbelievers may just get a surprise and when they do I will be one of the first to say I told you so, thanks for your input & facts be assured they are not unwanted Buzzer.

PS, cant wait for CF to rip apart what you have written with boring statistics.

:open_mouth:

Blimey you might have missed it but we’re actually on the same side although if I’ve got it right you think that the Tories support Brexit.You know the same Tories that Heath,Thatcher,Major and Cameron were all leaders of.Followed by remainer May who’s predictably thrown a spanner in the works of Brexit. :confused:

Having said that you mean boring statistics like the fact that our EU membership has always been about us importing ( a lot ) more from them than they buy from us to the point where whatever proportion of our exports went/go to the EU becomes totally meaningless.When it’s our trade deficit with the EU combined with our net contributions which destroys the remainers economic case.Just as it did from the start when Heath took us into the scam.

lczjs:

:open_mouth: :laughing:

Let’s get this right.Yes we know the Brit government hates road transport because it likes rail transport and has historically sabotaged the UK haulage industry as part of that agenda.So how is more of the same,in the form of giving the work to the East Euro third country hauliers instead,good for us and going to fix that.As opposed to applying a rule that at least 50% of all loads originating from or destined for the UK by road have to make the journey on Brit registered trucks.IE a quota permit system that actually works in the interests of this country’s hauliers not foreign ones.

Buzzer:
As soon as the permits were abolished any Tom , ■■■■ or Harry could get a trailer and compete most of whom had no idea of what the cost were running abroad, this then opened the flood gates for the growth of huge operations who cut the rates to levels that were just not economic, this we have witnessed in our company where you lose a job not for £50 but a cut of 4 0r 5 hundred pounds. Having seen these companies come and go just as fast we as a country can still control this.

The idea of permits ( should be ) to make sure that the UK haulage industry gets its fair share of the transport work generated by the UK economy.Not to discriminate in favour of some domestic hauliers at the expense of others.

While what actually happened in many cases was the Euros were taking advantage of their transit route status to rig the permit system in their favour.IE if a Brit truck transited Germany or France then the corrupt zb’s wanted that counted towards the permit quota for freight journeys between UK and France or Germany.To which the Brits then stupidly replied by saying let’s get rid of the permit system eventually resulting in the present East Euro free for all.Rather than taking it to court on the basis of saying no if a Brit truck hauls a load to Italy then only an Italian haulier gets the reciprocal quota permit for that not any of the countries used in transit.

Let’s get this right.Yes we know the Brit government hates road transport because it likes rail transport and has historically sabotaged the UK haulage industry as part of that agenda.So how is more of the same,in the form of giving the work to the East Euro third country hauliers instead,good for us and going to fix that.As opposed to applying a rule that at least 50% of all loads originating from or destined for the UK by road have to make the journey on Brit registered trucks.IE a quota permit system that actually works in the interests of this country’s hauliers not foreign ones.
[/quote]
Wasn’t it the Tory Transport Minister Ernest Marples who appointed Dr. Richard Beeching (at a much higher salary than the PM) to close down a significant proportion of Britain’s railways in favour of a motorway building scheme involving Marples Ridgway, a company he’d founded and which was sold very cheaply to his own wife to avoid a ‘conflict of interest’ with his Parliamentary job? He had abolished the British transport Commission in preparation for the 1962 Transport Act, and introduced legislation to make rail closures easier. Not the actions of a “road transport hater”, surely?

fodenway:
Wasn’t it the Tory Transport Minister Ernest Marples who appointed Dr. Richard Beeching (at a much higher salary than the PM) to close down a significant proportion of Britain’s railways in favour of a motorway building scheme involving Marples Ridgway, a company he’d founded and which was sold very cheaply to his own wife to avoid a ‘conflict of interest’ with his Parliamentary job? He had abolished the British transport Commission in preparation for the 1962 Transport Act, and introduced legislation to make rail closures easier. Not the actions of a “road transport hater”, surely?

You may well be right about the possible shenanigins of Marples and his wife, but politicians have always been involved in business ventures, and not just Tory ones either.

I do not believe the Tories, or any other party, hated road transport and favoured rail specifically, but it is surely true that it makes better sense, in principle, by rail rather than by road, except for the fact that it simply doesn’t work. Road is far more efficient at everything except for long distance bulk moves.

Also I see no connection between Beeching and rail/road prejudice. He cut unprofitable branch lines, not the long distance mainlines that were in competition with the motorways.

fodenway:

Firstly there’s a big difference between what were ‘actually’ closed down in the form of a few under used loss making passenger branch lines together with making a few bob on the side for road building contractors.As opposed to making the road transport industry a perceived threat to the rail freight interests which then as now are mostly all about long distance freight movements using the main line rail freight routes.

On that note this article was November 1969 and as we know the UK had to wait until the early 1980’s for an increase to 38t gross.

download/file.php?id=236485&mode=view

With a resulting effects of that creating a product development catch 22 for the uk truck manufacturing industry regarding its ability to compete with its Euro/Scandinavian rivals and the deliberately imposed productivety inefficiency on the UK haulage industry.Remind us which governments were in power between 1969-1974 and 1979-1984.Not to mention that lot’s ongoing resistance to LHV’s since. :bulb: While I actually meant both mainstream parties and their successive administrations in that regard anyway not just the Tories.

Spardo:
I do not believe the Tories, or any other party, hated road transport and favoured rail specifically, but it is surely true that it makes better sense, in principle, by rail rather than by road, except for the fact that it simply doesn’t work. Road is far more efficient at everything except for long distance bulk moves.

And as we know the UK government has always imposed onerous artificial burdens in the form of unrealistic dimensions and gross weight limits and road use/fuel taxation on the road transport industry in an attempt to artificially limit that efficiency advantage.Whether it be the ridiculous 32 t gross weight limit in the 1970’s/80’s or its resistance to LHV’s now.Or deliberately going along with obviously corrupt European permit activeties in the day which disadvantaged UK operators.Followed by the stupid Brits thinking that getting rid of the permit system in favour of a single European transport market was the solution to that.That ended well for us. :unamused:

Now I think we all know where Bojo is coming from.

38720621_2110187699015702_8820281101198032896_n.jpg

Buzzer:
Now I think we all know where Bojo is coming from.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

But obviously not brave enough to walk away from the Cons and not look back and at least stand as an independent in the resulting by election. :smiling_imp: :wink:

Spardo:

fodenway:

You may well be right about the possible shenanigins of Marples and his wife, but politicians have always been involved in business ventures, and not just Tory ones either.

Also I see no connection between Beeching and rail/road prejudice. He cut unprofitable branch lines, not the long distance mainlines that were in competition with the motorways.

It has to be remembered that Britain had very few motorway miles at the time of the Beeching Report in 1963. We still had an antiquated road system with major roads still passing through town centres and in a lot of places meandering around ancient field boundaries. Dual-carriageways and bypasses were not commonplace. Most of the commercial vehicles using these roads were not capable of moving respectable tonnages at reasonable speeds, so the railway could still be seen as a viable option. Beeching didn’t just cut unprofitable branch lines - several important cross-country links were severed, such as Carlisle-Edinburgh (Waverley Route) and others in Lincolnshire and the Fens. He proposed closure of many other socially-vital lines and stations around the country, social impact not being factored in to his calculations. It has been said (and proven) that substantial traffic surveys were carried out at quiet times on quiet days to add weight to the closure argument. The later Tory-sponsored Serpell Report, if it had been implemented, would have decimated rail provision. The East Coast Main Line would terminate at Newcastle, almost all rails north of the Border, all of Wales and the West Country and East Anglia would have been without railways, as would a large percentage of local lines throughout the country. Nowadays with an extensive motorway network, much larger vehicles and higher physically and legally attainable speeds, the rail option is now almost totally impractical except for high-volume block trains run over longer distances. Unfortunately, for those purposes, Britain is a small island.

fodenway:
It has to be remembered that Britain had very few motorway miles at the time of the Beeching Report in 1963. We still had an antiquated road system with major roads still passing through town centres and in a lot of places meandering around ancient field boundaries. Dual-carriageways and bypasses were not commonplace. Most of the commercial vehicles using these roads were not capable of moving respectable tonnages at reasonable speeds, so the railway could still be seen as a viable option. Beeching didn’t just cut unprofitable branch lines - several important cross-country links were severed, such as Carlisle-Edinburgh (Waverley Route) and others in Lincolnshire and the Fens. He proposed closure of many other socially-vital lines and stations around the country, social impact not being factored in to his calculations. It has been said (and proven) that substantial traffic surveys were carried out at quiet times on quiet days to add weight to the closure argument. The later Tory-sponsored Serpell Report, if it had been implemented, would have decimated rail provision. The East Coast Main Line would terminate at Newcastle, almost all rails north of the Border, all of Wales and the West Country and East Anglia would have been without railways, as would a large percentage of local lines throughout the country. Nowadays with an extensive motorway network, much larger vehicles and higher physically and legally attainable speeds, the rail option is now almost totally impractical except for high-volume block trains run over longer distances. Unfortunately, for those purposes, Britain is a small island.

How does getting rid of lines from Carlisle to Waverly and Lincolnshire and the Fens supposedly help the road transport industry over rail or for that matter even the motorway construction interests in the day ?.As opposed to the fact that private car use was rightly becoming more attractive than out dated inflexible,inconvenient, uncomfortable,public transport just as in every other developed country.However the bit that united both Labour and Cons was that they were/are biased in favour of rail.Which is why although investment in roads was growing,artificial obstacles,in the form of dimension and weight limits and industry specific taxation imposed on the road transport industry,existed and continues to exist to this day.In addition to helping to throw our international fleet to the wolves by happily standing back while the Euros stitched up the permit system to suit themselves by deliberately confusing transit movements with bilateral international freight movements.

As for the FTA etc then adding insult to injury by trying to make the case that the single European road transport market was ever good for UK operators,as opposed to eventually the race to the bottom third country rate cutting East Euro operations,they couldn’t make it up. :unamused:

CF, it wasn’t just road haulage that was hampered by regulations and taxation. The railways, from very early days, had been subject to Common Carrier status meaning that they had to carry whatever goods were offered, to any destination, at fixed statutory rates. As to your question of how closing lines could benefit road transport, at the time of Beeching most stations still had a daily pick-up goods train service, so the closure of any line or station obviously meant that any goods would henceforth have to travel by road, or not at all.

fodenway:
CF, it wasn’t just road haulage that was hampered by regulations and taxation. The railways, from very early days, had been subject to Common Carrier status meaning that they had to carry whatever goods were offered, to any destination, at fixed statutory rates. As to your question of how closing lines could benefit road transport, at the time of Beeching most stations still had a daily pick-up goods train service, so the closure of any line or station obviously meant that any goods would henceforth have to travel by road, or not at all.

How did the goods get from all the different customers to any of the the stations in question ?.IE rail transport usually involved a road leg in any freight journey either by truck or horse before that other than in the rare case of customers having a dedicated rail terminal on their premises.As for taxation and regulation Common Carrier status isn’t exactly the same thing as the domestic truck manufacturers and haulage industry needing a 40 t + gross weight and longer dimensions regime by 1970 and the advantage which continental Europe and Scandinavia was gifted as a result and punitive road fuel taxation since at least the 1920’s.While it’s clear that Beeching’s activeties had no intention of doing anything which the Cons perceived as potentially helping road transport to compete with what they saw as rail’s core business of long distance mainline rail freight movements.Which to this day is growing at the expense of road transport with the help of the same old cross party bias in favour of rail and as usual the rail freight interests protesting every time anyone mentions larger heavier trucks and/or the issue of road fuel duty.

On that note the claims,that the UK government has historically done as much if not more to wreck the UK truck manufacturing and haulage industry as dodgy European trading practices,are justified.But the idea that the European single transport market is the solution to that are laughable.Although obviously not from ‘their’ point of view.

While the zb’s have now obviously gone from rigging the old permits system in their favour by deliberately confusing and classing transit ‘through’ a country as a supposed freight journey ‘to’ ‘from’ that country.To now just implying that they’ll close access to European roads altogether for what few Brit trucks we’ve still got running there if we dare to walk away from the single transport market. :unamused: