EU driving licence & tachograph card

Hi,

I have just moved back to UK from Spain and hold a Spanish C + E licence, a Spanish digital tachograph card & a Spanish CPC drivers card. I passed my test in UK but changed my UK licence for a Spanish licence. Can I work and drive in UK with these 3 Spanish cards? If so, for how long? When would I have to exchange the cards to UK cards?

All advise would be appreciated.

Regards

Keith

keithinthornbury:
Hi,

I have just moved back to UK from Spain and hold a Spanish C + E licence, a Spanish digital tachograph card & a Spanish CPC drivers card. I passed my test in UK but changed my UK licence for a Spanish licence. Can I work and drive in UK with these 3 Spanish cards? If so, for how long? When would I have to exchange the cards to UK cards?

All advise would be appreciated.

Regards

Keith

Think you’ll find if your now Living / residing in the UK you need to change your licence as in change of address.

I believe you have six months to exchange the licences.

You can use your licence until it runs out.

An EU licence is valid to drive in any EU country as a resident until it reaches its’ valid to date.

Your tacho and CPC card are equally valid until renewal, then will have to be renewed in the UK.

Héraultais:
An EU licence is valid to drive in any EU country as a resident until it reaches its’ valid to date.

Your tacho and CPC card are equally valid until renewal, then will have to be renewed in the UK.

Agreed. Been there, done that.

THIS from DVLA site.

Inselaffe:

Héraultais:

Agreed. Been there, done that.

THIS from DVLA site.

totally correct rules changed a couple of years ago :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Inselaffe, nowhere near topic but I see you put your location as gutersloh in Germany. I used to go to the school there, on the raf base, 69 to 71. Happy days.

Slackbladder:
Inselaffe, nowhere near topic but I see you put your location as gutersloh in Germany. I used to go to the school there, on the raf base, 69 to 71. Happy days.

The base is still there although the RAF left 20 years ago. It is now an Army garrison and is known as Princess Royal Barracks. Due to close in 2016 as one of the last Brit bases in Germany.

A claim to fame is possibly featuring briefly in an episode of the gritty and cutting edge “Eddie Stobart: Trucks & Trailers” where our hero battled across Europe to get supplies to the NAAFI :unamused:

Hi all.As has been stated you can use the licence until it runs out then must change it to one of the country you are working\living in.
I have a British passport,a Dutch driving licence,Swedish digi card and Swedish residency,and it’s all legal.

Inselaffe:

Slackbladder:

The base is still there although the RAF left 20 years ago. It is now an Army garrison and is known as Princess Royal Barracks. Due to close in 2016 as one of the last Brit bases in Germany.

A claim to fame is possibly featuring briefly in an episode of the gritty and cutting edge “Eddie Stobart: Trucks & Trailers” where our hero battled across Europe to get supplies to the NAAFI :unamused:

Thanks for that, we used to get bussed in every day from Herford, about 55kms away. As for Eddies crew, I never miss it :grimacing: Although I do prefer those little guys they used to have on during adverts, Mainzel Menschen? No idea of the spelling. :blush:

Thanks all for the info, good news!

Any info on a good source for driving jobs in UK?

keithinthornbury:
Thanks all for the info, good news!

Any info on a good source for driving jobs in UK?

Look on the Hungarian, polish and Bulgarian websites for work in the UK. Aint any advertised here :bulb:

Whilst perfectly legal, you may find many companies unwilling to employ you as they cannot check validity of the licence easily :confused:

billybigrig:
Whilst perfectly legal, you may find many companies unwilling to employ you as they cannot check validity of the licence easily :confused:

its not legal though is it, if you change your address you have to inform the relevant licence authorities of this change and obtain a licence stating new address

green456:

billybigrig:

its not legal though is it, if you change your address you have to inform the relevant licence authorities of this change and obtain a licence stating new address

I can’t speak for any other EU countries but in France you do not have to have a current address on your licence, so if you move, no need to inform the licence authorities.

Héraultais:

green456:

billybigrig:

I can’t speak for any other EU countries but in France you do not have to have a current address on your licence, so if you move, no need to inform the licence authorities.

It is legal to keep using your EU or even EEA licence, until it expires, then it will be changed for a UK one. But you must register with the DVLA within 12 months of taking up residency.