EU derogration of driver rules

I’ve just read an article regarding the EU temporary changing drivers hours to address driver shortages. The HSA in Ireland (the ‘S’ stands for safety btw!) have announced that until 31/01/22 the maximum driver hours over 2 wks can be 112, there can be 5 reduced daily rests between 2 weekly rests and there is no requirement to have a 45hr rest period until after 31/01. Makes Brexit look a little sweeter now!

thejournal.ie/hgv-derogatio … 3-Jan2022/

Sod all to do with Brexit or the Eu.

The Irish government are choosing to change their rules, just as the UK did to ‘allow’ flexibility due to Covid. The comments section under the same article elicited the same responses as when the UK changed the rules.
One day it’s illegal and now it’s not so hop off.

Meanwhile in good ole Blighty we have had a relaxation of drivers hours since Oct last year, and a relaxation of Cabotage rules allowing more foreign trucks to do more work here than we can in the EU.

gov.uk/government/publicati … ruary-2022

gov.uk/government/news/gove … age-rights

Two derogations not just one.
Brexit win!

OwenMoney:

The Irish government are choosing to change their rules, just as the UK did to ‘allow’ flexibility due to Covid. The comments section under the same article elicited the same responses as when the UK changed the rules.

The UK changed the EU driver hours because they were no longer in the EU. but I can see my ‘Brexit’ comment detracted from the message of the post, that is, ‘look at how the Irish government is treating their road haulage industry’

Franglais:
Meanwhile in good ole Blighty we have had a relaxation of drivers hours since Oct last year, and a relaxation of Cabotage rules allowing more foreign trucks to do more work here than we can in the EU.

Brexit win!

Their hours derogration is twice as brutal than ours, so I call duece!

LazyDriver:

Franglais:

Brexit win!

Compliance with hours regs are no defence to driving into something or someone while tired and resulting jail sentence.

LazyDriver:
The UK changed the EU driver hours because they were no longer in the EU.

The only thing that has changed is the name, it used to be (EC)No.561/2006,
now it’s just No.561/2006.

These temporary derogations are just that, temporary, and don’t constitute a permanent change to the legislation. AFAIAC they should be ignored, unless it get’s you off the hook because you’ve made a mistake, in which case use them to help yourself out

Franglais:

Brexit win!

Johnny Flipflop is welcome to the cabotage. I’d love to see the carnage he would do in central London with one of our 12ft wide cabins!

Carryfast:

LazyDriver:

Franglais:

Brexit win!

Compliance with hours regs are no defence to driving into something or someone while tired and resulting jail sentence.

Hope you’re over Covid and don’t have any long term problems.

LazyDriver:

OwenMoney:

The UK changed the EU driver hours because they were no longer in the EU. but I can see my ‘Brexit’ comment detracted from the message of the post, that is, ‘look at how the Irish government is treating their road haulage industry’

Not helped by a certain TD who is in the pocket of several large Wexford firms calling for Ukrainians to be allowed to swop their Ukrainian licence for an Irish one and be allowed in en mass. She has also spent a fair bit of time on the airwaves implying that if drivers get a decent pay rise then this will result in the publics weekly shop going up making us appear greedy and selfish.