etiquette

how about a name and shame list, companies who’s drivers flash you in, or thank you for flashing them in, or “easing off” as you pass them. lets get back to traditional values, like it or not we are all in this together, lets help each other, whether you like another company or not. don’t just make them up because you don’t like them or are jealous, lets work together to make our job easier

I find most drivers to be very decent, theres only the odd hand full that are abit off. I leave a nice big gap before i pull in and almost always get flashed in.

true you do find a lot will flash, but the irritating ones that don’t are also the ones who keep at their speed or even speed up, come on fellas lets pull together

Is it really “etiquette” to “flash a driver in”?
Must admit that i dont nowadays as i dont feel the need, as times have changed since mirrors on lorries have progressed from the make up type to something akin to Tv screens.If i do get flashed in at nightime , i say thank you via the ole lights off and on routine,(remember that)?
I"ll wager that some of the drivers that i pass pull over because they think they have no trailer lights.

Suedehead:
Must admit that i dont nowadays as i dont feel the need, as times have changed since mirrors on lorries have progressed from the make up type to something akin to Tv screens.If i do get flashed in at nightime , i say thank you via the ole lights off and on routine,(remember that)?
I"ll wager that some of the drivers that i pass pull over because they think they have no trailer lights.

I flash people in mainly because i think its a friendly thing to do, i’ll also nod if sitting in slow moving traffic and another truck driver looks over.

Saaamon:

Suedehead:

I flash people in mainly because i think its a friendly thing to do, i’ll also nod if sitting in slow moving traffic and another truck driver looks over.

Thats nice,i usually blow a kiss.

Suedehead:

Saaamon:

Suedehead:

Bless you.

Saaamon:

Suedehead:

Saaamon:

Suedehead:

Bless you.

Did i sneeze?

So that was you the other day :wink:

Madguy :smiling_imp:

We’ve got a new recruit, a young lady of 19 who drives my old lorry; I’d certainly like to be flashed by her…

Grrrrrrrr

Why oh why do drivers let the trucks go downhill (over limited speed) after they have been overtaken or when they are in the process of being overtaken■■?

If your limited to 55 or whatever just bloody do it and don’t be a ■■■■ :unamused: :unamused:

jimbobpez:
or “easing off” as you pass them.

Why should anybody “ease off” in the first place? You are either quick enough to overtake or you aren’t. I take it you are “one of those” who sits in the middle lane for 5 miles just cos you’re 1/2 a mile an hour faster than the wagon in front. Hardly professional is it?

truckertang:
Grrrrrrrr

Why oh why do drivers let the trucks go downhill (over limited speed) after they have been overtaken or when they are in the process of being overtaken■■?

If your limited to 55 or whatever just bloody do it and don’t be a [zb] :unamused: :unamused:

Regardless of what speed I am limited to I let it roll on to 60mph every chance I get on a motorway, the only chance I actually get to do the bloody speed limit !

I don’t use it to hold people out in lane 2 however.

xfmatt:
Why should anybody “ease off” in the first place? You are either quick enough to overtake or you aren’t. I take it you are “one of those” who sits in the middle lane for 5 miles just cos you’re 1/2 a mile an hour faster than the wagon in front. Hardly professional is it?

I am one of those who does “ease off” if being overtaken.
In my view, if the lorry behind has caught me up, he will get past
in the end, so if I slow down just a little, he is past quickly and I don’t have
to spend the next mile or two with no forward view.
Also, the driver who is prepared to sit in the next lane for 5 miles doesn’t have to and it costs me nothing.

I can see no skill, professionalism or good driving in either of two drivers who sit next
to each other for mile after mile because neither is prepared to drop a couple of mph.

Also, if overtaking, I will always wait for a flash of the headlights, not because I need to know
where the back of the trailer is but because if the overtaken driver flashes his lights, I then know
that he is happy that I am far enough ahead for him to feel comfortable with me to pull back in.
I really don’t like it when someone pulls back in front of me too close for my liking, so I don’t like to do it to others.

I didn’t always do this by any means, perhaps it’s just old age creeping up on me. :slight_smile:

Regards,
Nick.

Agree Nick well put :laughing: :laughing:

ncooper:

xfmatt:

I am one of those who does “ease off” if being overtaken.
In my view, if the lorry behind has caught me up, he will get past
in the end, so if I slow down just a little, he is past quickly and I don’t have
to spend the next mile or two with no forward view.
Also, the driver who is prepared to sit in the next lane for 5 miles doesn’t have to and it costs me nothing.

I can see no skill, professionalism or good driving in either of two drivers who sit next
to each other for mile after mile because neither is prepared to drop a couple of mph.

Also, if overtaking, I will always wait for a flash of the headlights, not because I need to know
where the back of the trailer is but because if the overtaken driver flashes his lights, I then know
that he is happy that I am far enough ahead for him to feel comfortable with me to pull back in.
I really don’t like it when someone pulls back in front of me too close for my liking, so I don’t like to do it to others.

I didn’t always do this by any means, perhaps it’s just old age creeping up on me. :slight_smile:

Regards,
Nick.

I agree with you nick, I also ease off to let people in if it’s taking forever but I’m just saying why should we?! I also hold the same opinion about waiting for a flash in when I have overtaken a wagon. That way I know I’m well clear of the wagon behind and also that some numpty car driver hasn’t cut into the lane without me seeing him! Far too many drivers don’t wait for the flash nowadays and end up pulling back in within a couple of foot of your front bumper.

Although I agree whole heartedly with trying to bring the etiquette back into driving, i’m afraid it’ll never happen :cry:
Not when you’ve got some drivers who’s motors are a lot quicker than yours but they they’re still hell bent on doin the bravado trick of, " i know when i’m by ya " and pull in taking your nose off !!
Sad, but thats how it is now… :unamused:

It’s nice to be acknowledged by a quick flash of indicators when you’ve flashed someone in but most can’t be arsed to even do that these days !!

jimbobpez:
how about a name and shame list, companies who’s drivers flash you in, or thank you for flashing them in, or “easing off” as you pass them. lets get back to traditional values, like it or not we are all in this together, lets help each other, whether you like another company or not. don’t just make them up because you don’t like them or are jealous, lets work together to make our job easier

I don’t do any of those flashing light things to order, so do you want me to start off your list?

Flashing lights has become the new way to invite someone into a danger zone. I drive my own race.

I dont really mind if someone doesnt flash me in after overtaking (Im usually pulling a bulker that are a bit shorter than most curtainsiders etc so its a bit easier judging when ive passed)

However what gets my goat is when you ease off to let someone out into the middle lane and then they dont have the courtesy to say thanks.
When Im in the truck most of the “fellow” drivers will say thanks, HOWEVER in the last few weeks Ive been visiting the wife in Salford Hospital most nights, a journey of about an hour mostly on the M6 and M56 and sometimes the M62, and have flashed out many trucks whilst in my car. The amount that have said thanks either via the “indicator shuffle” or a quick wave whilst Im passing ,I could count on one hand.

Come on guys, lets be courtious to car drivers when they take the trouble to understand our difficulties, after all it costs nowt and puts us in a good light with the general public.