Etiquette

Had an early-ish (for me at any rate) start this morning, four drops in Manchester, Stockport and Macclesfield. Returning to Northampton via Leek, Ashbourne then A50/M1 I started to feel tired and in need of a power nap. So I pulled onto a near deserted layby on the A515, killed the engine, reclined the seat, set my alarm for 15 minutes and closed my eyes. Some 6 or 7 minutes later I was rudely woken by a loud BANG-BANG-BANG on the door. Thinking there might be a serious problem (or even some sort of hold-up attempt) I scanned the scene outside to see some grinning oik making ■■■-lighter type motions with his hands. I lowered the window and he asked “Do you have a light?” while repeating the ■■■-lighter gestures. It was the Eastern European driver of the only other vehicle in the layby.

Was I being totally unreasonable in suggesting he make ■■■■■■ movements away from my vehicle, while simultaneously querying his parentage?

Was I being over-sensitive? I wouldn’t dream of disturbing someone who was clearly into Zed-mode just to ask for a light for a flipping cigarette!

Anyway, the ■■■■ woke me up halfway through my allotted 15 minute power-nap so I carried on my way.

I would be as annoyed as you were however I’m not mean enough to tell someone to “go away” in such blunt fashion.

What did you actually do though? I’d like to say I said pish off in that situation, but if I’d been woken up in a daze I might have actually given him a light then glared at him harshly 5 minutes later when I had properly woken up :stuck_out_tongue:

I told him to go forth and multiply, while also thanking him for waking me. Maybe I was just being over-grumpy.

Why nap in the driver’s seat when there’s a perfectly good bed behind you?

Some of our drivers do this and I just don’t get it.

Maybe it’s an old man thing. Sleeping sitting up.

Contraflow:
Why nap in the driver’s seat when there’s a perfectly good bed behind you?

Some of our drivers do this and I just don’t get it.

Maybe it’s an old man thing. Sleeping sitting up.

If I dive on my bunk I’ll still be there 8 hours later. If I recline the seat, remove my footwear and cross my legs on the steering wheel the the pins and needles wake me precisely 43 minutes later. Works every time. :wink:

I nap on the bunk. Flat on my back. Pillow. Blanket. Twice a day. An hour each time. Curtains drawn. No [zb]er’s ever woken me up for a light.

I don’t smoke, so I’m with Roymondo all the way and then some. Hope you reset your break/tacho and got 15 in after he left.

Sumsmeister:
I don’t smoke, so I’m with Roymondo all the way and then some. Hope you reset your break/tacho and got 15 in after he left.

He said he didn’t. Jeez, some people need everything spelling out. Wait…

:unamused:

I’m with Contraflow all the way on this one.

Pillow, blanket, curtains drawn, at least an hour a day. It’s a fantastic way of going about working :sunglasses:

Had someone ask for a light whilst waiting to tip a few years ago. I said I didn’t smoke and he said “well you’ve got a cigarette lighter in the dashboard”. Told him I hadn’t and he said “how do you power your sat nav then?” I told him I didn’t have a sat nav. Before he asked about charging my phone up I said I had the lighter plug socket but as I don’t smoke I’d thrown the lighter part away and he’d have to find it under a good few thousand tonnes of muck on our tip.
Fair enough to ask but don’t stand there debating what electrical gadgets are in my cab.

As a smoker and a vaper (im now addicted to both so its costing me a fortune) I know the feeling of desperation when one is in need of a light so would have happily given the gentleman one and maybe even had a quick chat to further UK EE relations.

Although I consider power naps to be a bit on the gay side one can purchase some weird looking gimp mask cushion thingies so passing EU folk are aware that requesting cigarette inflamation is going to be frowned upon.

Gimp Mask Cushion Thingy.jpeg

Can be worn on the head or as peekaboo ■■■■■■■.

Dipper_Dave:
would have happily given the gentleman one.

So at this time of year, it’s better to give than receive.