Etiquette, lane hoggers

Morning to all

Just having a venting sesh,
Why is there no etiquette on the roads no more.When I started on the driving scene, we were called knights of the road. We all helped each other out ,either be letting the overtaker he can come on in,by a little flash of the lights ,slowing down enough just to get another driver onto the motorway etc…Now its all gone Barring the odd one here and there and i salute them.I see hgv drivers, mainly the young ones up each other asses, They knowing their going to be overtook eventually and drag it out for miles. Or sit in middle lane and hog it and cause breaking from everyone else etc…What has happened to the respect and etiquette of the roads for us fellow drivers.
If there is a discussion already on here let us know ow…

I had a similar thought earlier when I was leaving M40 to join A34 South. Thise familiar might know all three lanes can be used to turn right onto A34, but being diligent, in an underpowered gas supermarket unit pulling a decker at 42t I decided to stay left as one should but that obviously wasn’t enough for the guy next to me who felt the need to bollock out onto the roundabout and then had to lock his wheels up and push a car out the way in the inside lane (no damage, car slammed on) to avoid the few trucks already on the island waiting at the second set of lights. A bit of patience he’d have seen all that developing rather making a ■■■ of himself and scrap metal out of an innocent car.

Things that get on my ■■■■:

Those that pull into lane 2 2-3 miles ahead of a lane-drop of lane 1 (Eg. Anticlockwise M25 approach to J6 Godstone/Caterham turn-off…)

Someone like myself, who’ll wait until the dotted line starts for the actual lane drop (last few hundred yards) then find another artic in their mirror doing a rather slow overtake in lane 2, rather than anticipating that I might want to be pulling into lane 2 at that point as well!
Grrrr!
:imp:

BMWs/4x4s/sports cars/tanks sitting in the middle of 3 lanes doing 50kmh rather than 50mph through the temporary speed limit stretch of road… You can’t “third-lane” them, and undertaking is also out-of-order… You’d think that someone who can afford a more expensive set of wheels - would know how to bloody well drive it properly!

People that insist on overtaking/undertaking on roundabouts…
Not good if you need to cut into another lane going around the thing yourself!
Loads of roundabouts, with three narrow lanes where this applies…

People that just cannot sit behind an artic doing 40mph on a single-carriageway road with double white lines on that stretch… They just Gotta overtake on the coming blind bend, then brake sharply and pull back in behind when an oncoming car with only side lights on comes bombing around the corner at them…
A26 near Heron’s Gull is a good place for that to happen…
Plenty of dead deer well off the side of the road - that suggests a rather lot of vehicles are “spinning off” on this bit of road as well…

Lane Discipline - matters.

Rob k once said to me don’t drop to there level , very wise words , I miss rob

30 mph centre lane dawdlers?

I simply undertake them on the inside without compunction - they are creating a road hazard - be in front of them rather than behind.

Some while back I came across a 44t driver in the centre track eastbound M4 Maidenhead doing 40 mph - I looked across and there he was both elbows on the steering wheel texting on his phone - this was 4 pm. In these situations.There’s not a lot of choice apart from sitting behind him and I’ve got places to be. :sunglasses:

Mobile roadblock.

Socketset:

I simply undertake them on the inside without compunction - they are creating a road hazard - be in front of them rather than behind.

I do exactly this. I feel it’s the safest most stress free option. You look in mirror and sometimes they take the hint but usually not

switchlogic:

Socketset:

I do exactly this. I feel it’s the safest most stress free option. You look in mirror and sometimes they take the hint but usually not

Best on a four track section where dawdler is in lane two.
Try to arrange things so they get passed both sides - this always wakes 'em up :laughing:

switchlogic:

Socketset:

Yep, once over they used to wake up and take the hint…especially if they got drowned in spray if wet.
Nowadays they just carry on regardless in their own little worlds, totally oblivious to the fact they are crap drivers and should be moving over.

I blame it on the same thing I blame ■■■■ poor truck drivers of whom we see more and more of.
Grass roots level,…Training schools teaching them how to pass a test rather than teaching them to actually DRIVE. :bulb:

axletramp:

switchlogic:

Socketset:

Try to arrange things so they get passed both sides - this always wakes 'em up :laughing:

A bit like the scene on ‘Convoy’ :laughing: .
Aye it soon wakes the ■■■■ s up…again more so when they are getting spray from BOTH sides. :smiley:

axletramp:

switchlogic:

Socketset:

Try to arrange things so they get passed both sides - this always wakes 'em up [emoji38]

No. I’m happy for all the slow cars (taxis especially I find) to dawdle in lane 2 and lane 1 is the ‘fast’ lane for HGV’s
It just seems to work and everyone knows what’s going on. (Most motorways I use have at least 4 lanes).

I passed an artic for the very first time while in lane 1 last night. So it’s not often. He moved over after.

Winseer:
You’d think that someone who can afford a more expensive set of wheels - would know how to bloody well drive it properly!

You mean they can afford the monthly payment. Incidentally some of the least bright fellas on the road, those with cars priced at 6 figures or certainly among the most arrogant and self-assured ones almost tipper driver level.

Winseer:
People that insist on overtaking/undertaking on roundabouts…
Not good if you need to cut into another lane going around the thing yourself!

This is why 9 times out of 10 I will block both lanes before entry, 10/10 if there’s a dual carriageway before and after the r/b. This morning on my way back was a 9/10 situation I watched in my mirror the flatbed with 999 orange lights splattered all over his front veer right to occupy lane 2 on approach but since I know at this r/b they tend to turn right anyway so I let him go, we both approached the r/b neck and neck of course he’s now blocking my view towards the right as he’s bombing down full speed and getting slightly ahead. Before that I had seen a car inside so I stopped just in case he’s coming round but the other truck like i said didn’t even slow down drove right in front of the car who had to brake (he did have enough time so not really a close call just a ■■■■ move from the truck driver as he’s supposed to yield…)

But it got me thinking if it was a close(r) call and the car ended up slamming in the truck as there was no way the truck was going to be able to stop in time to yield due to speed would I have felt guilty for letting him squeeze past on approach then again it’s not our job to police the roads

robroy:
Training schools teaching them how to pass a test rather than teaching them to actually DRIVE. :bulb:

Yes they don’t even keep it a secret anymore it’s pretty much full disclosure at some point during the training. I remember I kept asking my instructor questions, drawing comparisons etc. and one day he said exactly those words and that there’s no way to teach someone how to drive in 20 hours. Realistically you end up driving a total of what, 8-9 hours on the road over the entire period of training? That’s like a single day’s shift on the job.

Other drivers that will keep you out in the middle of the 3 lanes won’t slow a little to let you in. Then once you are in they change lane anyway.

Also a MASSIVE one is cars/4x4’s etc… you’ll be in far left lane ready to over take slow car or fellow truck and you have some PRATT in middle lane taking an age to come past you so you can’t pull out rather then them just pulling into the far right lane and letting you out! They make me swear ALOT!

Not managed it in a lorry yet, but middle lane dawdlers you can have fun with and do circles around them overtake on the right, back to lane 1 slow done a little back to lane 3 overtake and repeat.

In Lorry, people who try and shove around on roundabouts, but instead of doing it quickly sit right beside you, or right on the arse end so have to be very carefull the tail swing doesn’t collect them.
probably the same people that sit next to you on a slip road, start to freak out make a dive on front of you, then remember the car can accelerate and sod off down the road.

Another weird one that I seem to notice more are people that slow down when overtaking, would be doing 65-70 in lane 1, pull out to lane 2 etc to overtake then slown down to 55-60 so crawl past the lorry they are overtaking then suddenly speed up again?

SquireT:
Another weird one that I seem to notice more are people that slow down when overtaking, would be doing 65-70 in lane 1, pull out to lane 2 etc to overtake then slown down to 55-60 so crawl past the lorry they are overtaking then suddenly speed up again?

It’s not easy messing with the phone and keeping an eye on speed/surroundings at the same time. The amount of car drivers I see with phones on their lap or in the hand. You see someone in the mid lane doing 46mph weaving left and right if you have a chance look down - 99 times out of 100 they’re doing something on their phone

TruckerRossy:
Also a MASSIVE one is cars/4x4’s etc… you’ll be in far left lane ready to over take slow car or fellow truck and you have some PRATT in middle lane taking an age to come past you so you can’t pull out rather then them just pulling into the far right lane and letting you out! They make me swear ALOT!

In this case applying your right indicator when they are alongside you generally leads to them moving out of your way quickly.

As for passing the middle lane brain-dead brigade on the left, I agree that doing so is the easiest way to deal with them, but I am always slightly cautious that someone who is stupid enough to do what they do is probably also stupid enough to change lane to the left with neither warning nor checking the mirror first.

robroy:
I blame it on the same thing I blame ■■■■ poor truck drivers of whom we see more and more of.
Grass roots level,…Training schools teaching them how to pass a test rather than teaching them to actually DRIVE. :bulb:

Could not agree more. However, it’s the government that tells everyone how to live their lives…

Something I will never understand is someone catches you (in L2) up then sits behind you leaving L3 completely free and empty rather than overtake. When you pull into L1 they speed up again. It doesn’t even make a difference to a lot of them if you just carry on in L2 while L1 stays empty… :astonished:

30 year driving, it all went downhill when trackers / mobile phones appeared in the cab. Gone are the days when I left Fife with a London multi drop with the boss saying “I’ll hear from you in 3 days”

Personally, I refer to them as Grants Goons, as in the idiot who rushed a load of "drivers " through last year. Not all, but quite a few should have stayed in their wharehouses. Incidentally , this is the same fool who thinks that the CPC is improving standards and safety. I guess some of his mates told him so.

With motorway lessons not being part of the driving test and lessons not compulsory its no wonder that the majority of people have no idea of how to drive safely on them. I was getting a few things wrong Until I took my HGV lessons and Id driven all over the country and Europe over 38 years.