Essex too lisbon

hello all.
looks like i’m off too lisbon, portugal, tuesday morning. i’ll be going dover-calais, then onto rouen, le mans, bordeuax, cross the border into spain, at irun, and then onto burgos.
now, on from there, i think i have 2 choices, of which i’m pretty unfamiliar.
sorry, havn’t got my map too hand, its in the truck.
think the first is across the top, crossing into portugal, at villaformosa, (if my memory serves me right), keep heading across, and then take the motorway down too lisbon.

the other, is burgos, valladolid, salamanca, and then head for the border at badajoz, i think, into portugal, and run across from their.

my question is, any thoughts on which would be the better of these 2 routes, (if i’ve got them right, from memory) and also, if anyone here knows of a better alternative, that would be ideal, allowing for the fact that i’ll be in a standard artic, pulling a fridge.

also, i’m guessing that i’m gonna run out of hours, on my 3rd card, whilst at lisbon, does anyone know, of a good, safe place too park■■?
i don’t use sat nav, so if you know of good restaraunts etc, i’ll be finding them via a mapbook.

thanks for any help!!!

The Bear is the man to ask he goes down that way a lot

Thetaff:
The Bear is the man to ask he goes down that way a lot
[/quote

]

thanks mate

personally i would take the badajos one

biggusdickusgb:
personally i would take the badajos one

But I would go Vilar Formoso and probably use the Western Channel to get down to Castets. Then the next shift you would make VF

The restaurant & BP served a decent cheap meal just through the Portugese Border

i would go vilar formoso , about 30 km before the border is a shell services called sancti-spiritus , i normally fill up there and stay the night , then its just under 400 km to the center of lisbon . not too sure about parking but i will say DO NOT park on a peage section of any motorway because there is a time limit on the ticket (will be written on the back of it ) so when you get to the peage the next morning its a hefty price . i usually go for the services on the other side of the big bridge heading for the a12 , those services are on a free section of motorway but it gets busy there . hope that helps

i agree i would say villa formoso as well seems the easiest way to me

thanks all, vilar formosa it is then, just as that seems too be the general concensus.
thanks re parking tips, especially, re the portugal tolls, i didn’t know that, so could have got caught out, so thanks.

i was hoping too ship via cherbourg, or st malo, but drew the short straw, and got calais, so normally by the end of the 2nd day, i end up about burgos.

so 3rd day, i’ll run across from there, too vilar formosa, then carry on across, and down for lisbon. not sure how i’ll get on, but would like too tip lisbon, and then get south of their, all being well.

thanks again for tips, much appreciated.

sorry vilar formoso is the right way to go, i was going by your burgos, valadolid, salamanca route
its not one i’d use for badajos, i’d go madrid and down the 5 to badajos

biggusdickusgb:
sorry vilar formoso is the right way to go, i was going by your burgos, valadolid, salamanca route
its not one i’d use for badajos, i’d go madrid and down the 5 to badajos

ok mate, thanks.

Chillis route sorted
Don,t forget to use dipped headlights through the day or you will soon be paying the local police in porkyland.

klunk/■■■■■■■■
Chillis route sorted
Don,t forget to use dipped headlights through the day or you will soon be paying the local police in porkyland.

bloody hell, glad i posted now.
a wealth of useful info. i knew the italiens had gone for this, but didn’t realise it was the same in portugal too. thanks for the info :wink:

Of course, I have only just returned from a 10 poxy day trip to Gib so missed this post completely. Klunk, since when has the headlight fingie been law in Porgy Land?? All the time I drove around there, I never used headlights once unless it was raining (it does happen there, you know) and never got stopped once.
Glad someone let him know about not parking on the pay routes! OhTerry got hammered for that when he had broken down and spent the night on the motorway. If anyone is ever looking for somewhere to park just outside Lisbon, I would always recommend the services as you cross the Ponte Vasco de Gama (that big long bridge) coming out of Lisbon. Two or three different restaurants and showers here. Never stopped at the ones on the Lisbon bound side though.