Essex pub displaying golly dolls

Apparently someone got a bit distressed and reported them to the police,

A pub where golliwog dolls were seized by police should not be considered for “future awards or inclusion in our Good Beer Guide”, the Campaign for Real Ale (Camra) said.

Camra said it found it “baffling” that the White Hart Inn, in Grays, Essex, chose to display the “offensive” dolls.

Police are investigating after a member of the public reported being racially distressed on 24 February.

Chris Ryley, who co-runs the pub, said the dolls were “part of our history”.

In a series of tweets, Camra said it was instructing its South West Essex local branch “not to consider the White Hart, Grays, Essex, for future awards, or inclusion in our Good Beer Guide, while these discriminatory dolls continue to be on display”.

A spokesman for South West Essex Camra said the matter was being dealt with by Camra centrally.

What led to a police probe over golly dolls in a pub?

Camra said it had altered an entry on its Good Beer Guide App as it said the previous entry was “problematic”.

It added a line to the entry describing the pub, which said: “Note this pub has chosen to display items that are considered by many to be offensive.”
Exterior of White Hart pub
Image caption,
The landlord of a pub in Essex is due to be questioned by police when he returns from abroad over allegations of a hate crime

On its website, the pub said it had won the South West Essex Camra Pub Of The Year awards in the past due to its “great service”.

Mr Ryley said the pub was used by South West Essex Camra and Thurrock Beer Festival for meetings.

“A mountain has been made out of a molehill,” he said.

He said the pub had received more support than abuse and it was “still open and trading”.

Police said a member of the public reported being racially distressed after attending the pub.

Five officers attended, where they seized several of the racially offensive dolls on 4 April.

It was reported that Home Secretary Suella Braverman had contacted the force about the investigation.

Essex Police said that was “categorically not true” but did not rule out having been contacted by the Home Office.

In an interview with LBC, Policing Minister Chris Philp said it is “up to police to decide how they respond to incidents” when asked whether it was necessary for five officers to remove the dolls.
Essex Police said it was “categorically not true” that Suella Braverman had contacted the force

Police said no-one had been arrested or charged in connection with the investigation, and the landlord would be questioned when he returned from abroad next month.

Officers were in discussion with the Crown Prosecution Service about the case before the items were taken last week, the force added.

Benice Ryley said she had displayed the collection of about 30 dolls, donated by her late aunt and customers, in the pub for nearly 10 years.

The dolls are based on 18th Century minstrels and are regarded as racist caricatures.

They first appeared on jars of Robertson’s Jam in 1910 and became one of the most recognisable brands in the UK.

It spawned a range of toys and collectibles. In the 1980s, the name became Golly amid accusations that the character perpetuated stereotypes. It was finally dropped in 2001.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-65260945

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 5&t=174629

Oops,sorry missed that my apologies.[emoji4]

rearaxle:
Oops,sorry missed that my apologies.[emoji4]

Nah don’t apologise mate,.I was a bit cryptic on the thread title . :smiley:

She’s put them back up hasn’t she? Absolutely ridiculous.

Well looks like it had to close its doors after Heineken and Carlsberg told them to stop serving its lager.

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-65471314

rearaxle:
Well looks like it had to close its doors after Heineken and Carlsberg told them to stop serving its lager.

■■■■ ridiculous,.and this is what the country has been reduced to…the rules and standards made up by the minority. :imp:

Fairly predictable, no big name company wants any association with people making headlines for all the wrong reasons. That’s why the brothers Kevin & Kenneth Kendall couldn’t use their initials for their haulage company… :laughing:

The wife tells me that in Holland Santa Claus has a helper called Zwarte Piet or ‘Black Pete’, that all the kids believe in.
Is he the next on the list?
You really could not make all this crap up, there are far more important issues in the world to ■■■■ bother about. :unamused:
aljazeera.com/features/2020 … black-pete

rearaxle:

Ffs! Doesn’t surprise me though.

just my opinion which is prbly a minority round ere, but i reckon theres only one reason why you’d want to display 10 golliwogs in your pub, its because you want to say something without saying it, if you know what i mean. like back in the day pubs would put up signs saying No dogs, No blacks No irish. obviously you’d be in big trouble if you did that, so the same effect is to put golliwogs on the bar, “Oh no i dont know what you could possibly mean, these are just traditional childrens toys, its all perfectly innocent!”

come on dont be so naive

that was only my suspicion but then of course, of course, theres a photo turns up of him in a Britain First T-shirt lbc.co.uk/news/pub-landlady … ain-first/

but hes not a supporter, it was just convient for him to be wearing the shirt :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Part of this Right wing, Nationalist, Traditionalist, brexit element that are busy ruining this country, making us less free and poorer. only need to take one look at that pub to imagine the kind of people that drink in there

so i’m quite happy this pair of ■■■■■ got their pub shut down. ■■■■ em

chrisdalott:
but hes not a supporter, it was just convient for him to be wearing the shirt

Maybe his National Front T-shirt was in the wash? :smiley:

Zac_A:
Fairly predictable, no big name company wants any association with people making headlines for all the wrong reasons. That’s why the brothers Kevin & Kenneth Kendall couldn’t use their initials for their haulage company… [emoji38]

But that’s the point. No one on this thread was thinking, I wonder who supplies the beer and the glasses to them? Until they chose to make an issue if it so they could promote themselves as self righteous.

I wouldn’t call it self-righteous, it’s simply good business sense. Before now Ive dropped a client who looked likely to take me down with him because he thought legal obligations were optional.

Big companies have a lot (of money) to lose if they’re associated with something questionable. All it takes is for one knobber to start a hashtag-twitterstorm and a company’s share price will begin to fall, investors will start cashing in shares and it becomes a snowball effect. Then the shareholders will vote fatcat chairperson out of their cushy number because they’re losing dividends.

Or, Big Company PLC could simply step back and sever their links to thinly-veiled racist Essex man/woman’s traditional 70’s/80’ style boozer.

Make it a personal perspective: If you could keep your current gig as job & knock and stop it becoming a regular long-day affair, simply by distancing yourself from Alf Garnett, you’d do it I’m sure, “looking after number one” works on many levels.

I suspect this reference may probably be “before your time”, (possibly also the Alf Garnett reference) but the title of this tune says it all for me
youtube.com/watch?v=92Dqy3YWblQ

I suppose you’re right [emoji3526] no big company is going to sit back and do nothing when that is going on very publicly.

Anyways, that’s why I want to get on the transporters, it’ll be just like those minis innit? [emoji2]

chrisdalott:
Part of this Right wing, Nationalist, Traditionalist, BREXIT element that are busy ruining this country, making us less free and poorer.

Oh ffs. :unamused: the Brexit reference whinges continue at every opportunity.
How predictable…amusing, but predictable. :smiley:

robroy:

chrisdalott:
Part of this Right wing, Nationalist, Traditionalist, BREXIT element that are busy ruining this country, making us less free and poorer.

All part of the same xenophobic mindset for a lot of people though isn’t it Rob?

Sent from my Note 13P using Tapatalk

Munchkin:

robroy:

chrisdalott:

All part of the same xenophobic mindset for a lot of people though isn’t it Rob?

Yep, if you were pro Brexit (note the use of the word ‘WERE’, it was 6 ■■■■ years ago or something :unamused: ) you’re a rabid right wing racist apparentlly.
:unamused:

bill gates has bought a stake in Heineken so i won’t be drinking any of that cat ■■■■ again!

robroy:

Munchkin:

robroy:

chrisdalott:

Yep, if you were pro Brexit (note the use of the word ‘WERE’, it was 6 [zb] years ago or something :unamused: ) you’re a rabid right wing racist apparentlly.
:unamused:

lol i knew Robroy would be along soon to take offence at this so mission accomplished

and i’m not saying that everyone who voted Brexit was a racist, rather i am saying that everyone who is a racist voted Brexit. all part of the same mindset true