Essex lgv training recommendations

I’ve been looking at a few lgv training schools around essex for class 2 but cant decide which one to go for? And wondered if any of you guys have used the following schools?
Road train at thurrock, robinsons of purfleet or rsm of basildon.

i will be looking at doing my cat c+e at some point also

i was gonna look at k&w daughters in maldon but i just found out they have just bought an auto iveco stralis for it cat c+e training which put me off for various reasons.
The other school which is on my door step was flair lgv at chelmsford but because of the wag and drag set up i was’nt to sure about it.

Any help would be great

Danny

FLAIR comes immediately to mind when Essex is mentioned and the owner John (LGVTrainer) is a member on here

KW also have a good rep - check out the link in my sig below for others etc

ROG:
FLAIR comes immediately to mind when Essex is mentioned and the owner John (LGVTrainer) is a member on here

Cheers ROG, my only concern with some of the companies are that they use auto boxes. From what i here its all a bit of a grey area with regards to which licemse you get and who will take you on if you sat your test in an automatic truck?

Danny_2428:

ROG:

Cheers ROG, my only concern with some of the companies are that they use auto boxes. From what i here its all a bit of a grey area with regards to which licemse you get and who will take you on if you sat your test in an automatic truck?

KW and Daughters were great for me and have a Manual 4 up and 4 down.

emwmarine:

Danny_2428:

ROG:

KW and Daughters were great for me and have a Manual 4 up and 4 down.

Waa that for cat c or c+e?

The new law giving those that pass LGV in auto to have manual when they already have a manual car licence has not started yet

The majority of schools use manual LGVs for training at the moment but that may change in the future when the new law starts

Danny_2428:
The other school which is on my door step was flair lgv at chelmsford but because of the wag and drag set up i was’nt to sure about it.

Hi Danny

Not sure if you have had the medical and got the provisional Cat C licence yet but if you have I would strongly recommend an assessment drive with any school you might be considering. We provide these entirely free of charge and without any obligation on the candidates part. They last for approx 1-1.5 hrs and give you a good idea of what will be involved. They also benefit some students because after seeing your current driving ability it might be that the candidate does not require the normal full length course and therefore can save both time and money.

Most good trainers are able to arrange the medical, theory tests etc on your behalf as well as the CPC. Regarding this you did not mention if you will need either the Initial or the Periodic CPC (it depends whether you passed car test before or after 1st Jan 97) but we provide training for both types including in vehicle periodic training done during the driver training.

Regarding the Wagon & Drag CE training, we use this method for 2 main reasons. 1.It is far easier to pass the test than a semi trailer artic partly because you are already familar with the vehicle & 2.The cost is far cheaper to the candidate. The benefits of both systems are probably the most talked about subject on the board so plently to read about then LOL. The general advice given by W&D trainers is to go for a couple of hours artic training after you have passed the test and the pressure is off.

Forgot to mention our vehicles are manual, which is currently the only way to get a full manual licence.

Feel free to contact me directly if you need any additional advice.

LGVTrainer:

Danny_2428:

Hi Danny

Not sure if you have had the medical and got the provisional Cat C licence yet but if you have I would strongly recommend an assessment drive with any school you might be considering. We provide these entirely free of charge and without any obligation on the candidates part. They last for approx 1-1.5 hrs and give you a good idea of what will be involved. They also benefit some students because after seeing your current driving ability it might be that the candidate does not require the normal full length course and therefore can save both time and money.

Most good trainers are able to arrange the medical, theory tests etc on your behalf as well as the CPC. Regarding this you did not mention if you will need either the Initial or the Periodic CPC (it depends whether you passed car test before or after 1st Jan 97) but we provide training for both types including in vehicle periodic training done during the driver training.

Regarding the Wagon & Drag CE training, we use this method for 2 main reasons. 1.It is far easier to pass the test than a semi trailer artic partly because you are already familar with the vehicle & 2.The cost is far cheaper to the candidate. The benefits of both systems are probably the most talked about subject on the board so plently to read about then LOL. The general advice given by W&D trainers is to go for a couple of hours artic training after you have passed the test and the pressure is off.

Forgot to mention our vehicles are manual, which is currently the only way to get a full manual licence.

Feel free to contact me directly if you need any additional advice.

Hi john, i have done all my medicals and theory tests so ready to go basically. I passed my test after 97.

Who do u use for your artic training ? And when would you be able to do an assessment drive?

Hi Danny

I have just sent you a PM

I would strongly recommend John at Flair. The w=d set up is the easiest to pass a test. You’ll learn with a proper gearbox and you can always have a couple of hours in artic once you’ve got the pressure of passing out of the way.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
I would strongly recommend John at Flair. The w=d set up is the easiest to pass a test. You’ll learn with a proper gearbox and you can always have a couple of hours in artic once you’ve got the pressure of passing out of the way.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Ditto

Paul :slight_smile:

I couldn’t recommend Flair highly enough. I did my cat c and c+e with them. I must admit I initially had the same thoughts as you with the W&D setup but I’m so pleased I did it now. Saved me loads of money, was so easy to pass and honestly hasn’t made any difference in the real world. My first job I got was driving artics for a supermarket and I have no issues at all. And believe me I deliver to some bloody small, tight places. Go for an assessment with John and I imagine you’ll soon be booking.

i used College in Romford. Would recommend them very highly…

collegeandco.com/

i also know the owner, her son works for my inlaws transport training firm sigmastudies.co.uk/

I had my training with flair training after winning one of John’s competitions and the training was great.

Both tests passed first time. 4days c and 2days c+e!

Good luck you won’t be disappointed.

capelston:
i used College in Romford. Would recommend them very highly…

collegeandco.com/

i also know the owner, her son works for my inlaws transport training firm sigmastudies.co.uk/

Thanks for that i’ll have a look in to that one.

a tanker driver from purfleet told me about sigma studies and said they was very good too