Escape lanes.

Coming down Telegraph hill last week and noticed how short the escape lane is at the bottom, about a lorry length, and thought how much damage is using this going to cause, never mind injury? I mean stopping from say 40mph within 60 feet is going to hurt isn’t it?

Has anyone ever had to use an escape lane and if so how much damage was caused?

Never used one but have seen the aftermath of peeps that have, the one on the A6 between Buxton and Bakewell, one was an elderly couple in a punto that got well and truly stuck after 6/7 metres, front bumper off and airbags deployed, both okay, another was a 4x4 & wobble box, again well and truly stuck but didn’t appear to be any damage. Trouble is, with the old couple and I suspect many more, they thought the ‘layby’ was a nice place to stop. When I used to do that run every day, you could guarantee a new set of wheel tracks 2/3 times a week.

They seem to do the job :laughing:

youtube.com/watch?v=4GoiSv5afSk

Wiretwister:
Coming down Telegraph hill last week and noticed how short the escape lane is at the bottom, about a lorry length, and thought how much damage is using this going to cause, never mind injury? I mean stopping from say 40mph within 60 feet is going to hurt isn’t it?

Has anyone ever had to use an escape lane and if so how much damage was caused?

Did it once in my youth. Not me driving, was in a mates Punto with a couple of other lads and we dared him to go into the sandpit at the bottom of Garrowby Hill. He wouldn’t do it unless we put some money up front so we all bet a fiver each for him to do it. :laughing: So in we go, must’ve been doing about 50mph and [zb] me :open_mouth: , nearly snapped our [zb] necks off :open_mouth: . We were braced for it but had no idea that it’d bring the car to a halt so quick. We all expected to kinda bumble a good half way down the pit before stopping but they’re really deep. Ripped the bumper clean off and the front end of the car was buried up to the top of the front arches in sand and gravel. Had to call recovery out to get it towed out, cost him a fortune and wrecked the paintwork too. :open_mouth: :smiley:

Rob, that’s funny, I love seeing things that start with the phrase ‘Hey, watch this!’ they nearly always end in tears :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Great !! 5 posts and in two of them its a Punto thats stuck in the escape lane.

Guess what car Ive just got ?

I’ve always wondered about the escape lane for the Dartford Bridge. Surely if your brakes fail you’re going strait through all of the cars queing for the tolls, long before yo get near the escape ramp.

If you hit the one at the bottom of Telegraph Hill…You might cartwheel into our yard! :smiley:

bigvern1:
If you hit the one at the bottom of Telegraph Hill…You might cartwheel into our yard! :smiley:

who do you work for then? olympussy?

Telegraph hill is on the a38 right?

No, but that one is still a climb.

Telegraph Hill is the A380, on the left hand split to Torquay. A38 is Haldon Hill. :wink: