Escape lanes

Any one ever had to use one?

There was one in Devon I saw probably on the A38 or A380 which looked substantial and like it would actually stop you, but there’s a lot that don’t look like that. Best one I can think of is beamsley hill on the A59. For a start you could only put one side of the wheels into that, and surely if you did that then that’s just going to be bloody dangerous and pull you over to one side.

Or has it been phased out due to modern vehicles and it used to be a proper lane like the one in Devon?

Never had to use one, though I did see a Waberers years ago who had parked in the one going down Jubilee Way to Dover, was just his cab about 2 metres if that so no speed when entering he must have thought it was a disused slip or lay-by and pulled in.

Grumpy Dad:
Never had to use one, though I did see a Waberers years ago who had parked in the one going down Jubilee Way to Dover, was just his cab about 2 metres if that so no speed when entering he must have thought it was a disused slip or lay-by and pulled in.

Until the drive axle hits then youre done…wrecker time… :grimacing:
Theres one up in the hills between Algorobbo (N340) and Iznate, looks deep with gravel and long enough…but ends going over the side of the road anyway :open_mouth:

Haven’t been up that way for years, but there was one at the Berriedale braes, but only northbound. Southbound, you’re on your own!! :frowning:

There used to be one on Garrowby Hill in Yorkshire. It’s probably still there but have not been that way for a while. Anyone that needs to use one of these does not know how to drive or has faulty brakes.

.but ends going over the side of the road anyway

Is that not what it’s meant to do?

Dr Damon:
.but ends going over the side of the road anyway

Is that not what it’s meant to do?

Designed that way due to physical limitations but this one ends at a sheer drop. Its most likely deep enough to stop most things given that taking the previous bend at any speed would have you turning the truck over anyway…not the nicest of roads…

Dr Damon:
There used to be one on Garrowby Hill in Yorkshire. It’s probably still there but have not been that way for a while. Anyone that needs to use one of these does not know how to drive or has faulty brakes.

Wasn’t that the place where the bus crashed years ago ?

There is quite a long one going down the A628 from Hoylandswaine to Silkstone.

I’ve never had to use one but they will stop you. 44 tonnes won’t go skipping over the gravel like some of those F1 cars!

The older generation will remember this one, Dover Hill Folkestone, on the old A20. After spending nearly all day loading oranges out of Dover Docks in the early 1970s, I was dismayed to see that the driver I had been talking to in the canteen while waiting to load had ‘gone over the edge’ here. IIRC it was an S&S Foden artic from a time when the company was much smaller.

google.co.uk/maps/@51.09513 … 312!8i6656

Supatramp:
Haven’t been up that way for years, but there was one at the Berriedale braes, but only northbound. Southbound, you’re on your own!! :frowning:

anyone from wick would know its there and treat it accordingly.
anyone coming north and needed the escape lane would either come back at 10mph max,or would be coming home on the bus… :open_mouth:

Never used one myself, just put it into the bankside, but the A6 at Taddington and the A52 at Froghall have some with plenty of tyre ruts in them! :smiley:

Pete.

if you have to go in one its as good as been a Kamikaze, you will be lucky to come out in one piece depending on your speed

a small one on the way into Letterkenny in Ireland . Never had to use one and hope I never have to .

beefy4605:
a small one on the way into Letterkenny in Ireland . Never had to use one and hope I never have to .
Google Maps

I’m disturbed by the crucifix at the end :confused:

Saw some asian tourists with a couple of toddler kids park their car and set up the picnic table etc in the one at the bottom of jubilee way - dover. the tide was in at the time so I assume that was plan B. Poked my head inside the docks police station and mentioned it. never saw a wpc move so fast in my life. Did a trailer change in the docks and they were all gone when I came out half hour later. now that is real international stupidity.

Saw a de rooij wagon and drag overturned on it’s side at the one half way down from the blanc tunnel. just by the sharp left hander at the start of the old road. (Ski slope up is on the right). Asked the french gendarm if the driver was dead ( its a 500 ft drop if you miss), he indicated that just a change of underwear was needed. must have been a hero wrecker driver to grab that and take it away. That was about 1993 i think.

ezydriver:

beefy4605:
Google Maps

I’m disturbed by the crucifix at the end :confused:

The aforementioned road between Algorobbo and Iznate has small bunches of old flowers with the odd little wooden cricifix on several bends (all sheer drops)…most likely will have more an effect on the mind than any road sign displaying sharp bends or ‘slow’…

No one seems to have had the experience of using one