ERF/MAN gearbox

I may have to drive an ERF( yes I know) tractor with the same gear box as the MAN TGA? . It is a sixteen speed with a clutch on the gear stick for gear changing when on the move?.

Any one any ideas on how easy or hard this will be to fathom out? This truck may be used for an assessment or if not available a Scania 12 speed.

Cheers Chip. :confused:

Chippy,

Are you related to the Chippy’s Transport that used to operate from the old BRS depot in Tamworth?

Not too hard, go to MAN’s website and look up comfort shift…
or check out page 6 of this:
http://www.man.com.au/manau/assets/pdf/features/TLMAN.pdf

chippy:
I may have to drive an ERF( yes I know) tractor with the same gear box as the MAN TGA? . It is a sixteen speed with a clutch on the gear stick for gear changing when on the move?.

Any one any ideas on how easy or hard this will be to fathom out? This truck may be used for an assessment or if not available a Scania 12 speed.

Cheers Chip. :confused:

I drove 1 last year for about 3 mths m8 and found it easy. only use the button on the gearstick if u want to. for me it comes down to which u prefer to use :sunglasses:

Its dead easy Chippy, its just a 4 over 4 range change with a splitter, there is an extra button which operates the clutch. If you don’t feel comfortable with this, just use the pedal in the normal way, not a problem; however once you get used to it, you will only think of using the pedal to set off and if you need a really quick change.

You must use the pedal from stationary, after this, when you need a change, leave the accelerator depressed or cruise engaged, press button and move stick, it doesn’t like being rushed though, the truck then, releases the clutch, matches engine revs and re-engages clutch then gives you back throttle control. If you are in cruise and need a half gear, you just preselect the split and press the clutch button for about a second, the truck will then do the change and re-engage the cruise control, just the same going up.

The only difference between a TGA and an ERF ECT is the badge, and the option of a ■■■■■■■ engine in the ERF, although many of them do have MAN engines which is then purely a badge engineering excercise.

Personally I am a fan of ComfortShift, although I know others say that it just doesn’t feel right, in which case don’t use it, use the pedal as normal.

edtheshark:
Chippy,

Are you related to the Chippy’s Transport that used to operate from the old BRS depot in Tamworth?

No I am not. A dodgy bloke if ever there was one. One of his drivers killed three nurses I believe some years ago. Driving out of hours or something.

Chippy’s transport is the company who you are on about. The owner was a miserable so and so,. not like me :slight_smile:
Green Scanias. Does that ring a bell?

As for the ERF?MAN it doesn’t seem as bad as I thought it would, so far.

Thanks for your help Chip

Just dont press the button and the clutch at the same time:)

Best thing is to get it on an open road and have a go.

Santa:

What will happen if I do ? :bulb:

Lots of expensive things will happen?

The comfortshift is a great gearbox-just use the clutch to start/stop then,on the move press the button then change gear and release-easy :smiley: .When your changing gear keep the pedal floored it’ll electronically control “overrevs”

Chippy wrote:-

Santa wrote:

What will happen if I do ?

It will ‘shout’ at you. Well you get the alarm buzzer anyway.

I loved the comfort shift when I drove a MAN, and only occasionally forgot and used the button and the clutch pedal.

Chippy wrote:-

Santa wrote:

What will happen if I do ?

It will ‘shout’ at you. Well you get the alarm buzzer anyway.

Right - Also the pedal drops to the floor with no resistance which can be a bit of a shock:)

It all sounds very interesting. Last time I drove anything with a splitter and 16 gears was a Eurostar which was under my guidance for 10 years. Nice truck.

A sort of gold colour with all the gizmo’s of the day. N reg I have seen it around but not recently. Had it converted to led lights . No limiter to start with. I used to drive it to pick up the trailer solo, the otherside of Brum. Used to blast off from the lights like a chav.

Anyway back to the ERF/ MAN. I believe this truck is a MAN but with a different badge. I had thought ERF had gone the same way as the dinosaurs.

Although the Eurostar had major electric probs it was huge inside and was very comfortable to live with. And at the time seemed light years ahead of the competion, not that I had much chance to drive the competion.

Regards Chip.

I’ve just been given a plastic pig to drive until my new daf turns up.
The box is just the same as a daf but with a comfort shift added.
The comfort shift is too slow and i keep knocking it with my leg.
So i don’t like it.
And the clutch is stiff.
I’ll stop before i get carried away.

Ive driven a few and it really is quite easy…just use clutch for stopping and starting and obviously slow manoueveres, and every gear change just press the button instead of clutch. It sits right where your thumb is on the gearstick so its hard to forget…just try not to rush them though.

the comfort shift i have found is ok for when you’re building up speed on the flat and gives a nice jerk-free change, much as you would get in an automated box. I suppose thats because they work along similar principles, i assume the clutch does not disengage in the comfort shift when it changes gear?

however in a situation such as when youre climbing a hill loaded and want a very swift change down half a gear or a full gear, i would go for the clutch pedal every time.

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=36718

This thread may help as well :unamused: