ERF LV Mitchells Haulage GBT 309L

WE HAVE JUST BOUGHT A ERF LV WITH A GARDENER 100 IN HER AND WE WAS WONDERING IF ANYBODY KNOWS AND INFORMATION OR HAS SOME OLD PHOTOS OF HER AT MITCHELLS HAULAGE HULL

trucking man:
WE HAVE JUST BOUGHT A ERF LV WITH A GARDENER 100 IN HER AND WE WAS WONDERING IF ANYBODY KNOWS AND INFORMATION OR HAS SOME OLD PHOTOS OF HER AT MITCHELLS HAULAGE HULL

Hi trucking man, I used to drive GBT for Mitchells from the mid 80s until Bill Mitchell retired in 1991. I then bought GBT from Bill and removed the 25ft flat platform body and replaced it with a 26ft boxvan ex Elida Gibbs. I made the inside of the box into a caravan for weekends away on the rally field. I sold GBT through RTS auctions at Peterboro in 1994 and I believe a chap called Bill Brown bought her, he had some kind of a mishap with GBTs body and replaced it with the one it has on today.
I have quite a lot of photos of GBT taken during her working days as a flat general haulage motor, and you are welcome to copies but you,ll have to email me as I,m unable to upload them on here.
GBT was always a plodder and wouldn’t be hurried, she would do about 50mph flat out with a back wind and a ■■■■ sight less when going uphill !
I,m glad to hear that the old girl has survived and I wish you well with her and hope that you have many an enjoyable journey with her. I used to love using that David Brown box in conjunction with the two speed axle and the sound of her Gardner engine used to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up ! (ha ha silly old sod)
You can get in touch with me at, tonyhawkridge@live.com and I,ll send you some photos of her at work and play.
I,m based in Driffield East Yorks so if you,re not too far away we could meet or may even see one another at a rally !
Regards Tony H.

we are reinting the erf the same colour as it is today and you will see us at driffiled steam rally this year we are just rubbing her down and on the cab we found the colour blue what colour was she originally
thanks carl

:smiley:

trucking man:
we are reinting the erf the same colour as it is today and you will see us at driffiled steam rally this year we are just rubbing her down and on the cab we found the colour blue what colour was she originally
thanks carl

Hi Carl, GBT is in her original colours, the chassis and wheels are post office red, body and cab is mercedes red and the cream is primrose yellow. The blue that you found I can’t even guess where that came from, where on the cab was it ?
In 1991 I had the chassis sand blasted and repainted red, I rubbed the cab down and brush painted the cream and maroon, because she had come straight out of service she was still in test and only required a normal service. When I sold her there was a small oil leek at the oil filter but other than that she was good to go. The tyres were all very good including the spare, the gearbox and rear axle had both had an oil change in 1990.
The brakes were very good but the original fuel tank had gone poreous and leeked so it was replaced with a Bedford tank, but I see from the photo that it has been swapped for a round alli one, the original was sold with the lorry to hopefully be repaired and refitted.
Also for your information Mitchells were based at Elvington near York and not Hull as you first thought.
If you email me Carl I can send you some pictures of GBT at work as I,m sure they will be of interest to you, as for seeing you at Driff this year sods law has kicked in with my wife booking a holiday that weekend and it,ll be the first time I,ve missed it in many a year, Bugger !
Regards Tony H.

lowreduction:
:smiley:

trucking man:
thanks carl

Hi Carl, GBT is in her original colours, the chassis and wheels are post office red, body and cab is mercedes red and the cream is primrose yellow. The blue that you found I can’t even guess where that came from, where on the cab was it ?
In 1991 I had the chassis sand blasted and repainted red, I rubbed the cab down and brush painted the cream and maroon, because she had come straight out of service she was still in test and only required a normal service. When I sold her there was a small oil leek at the oil filter but other than that she was good to go. The tyres were all very good including the spare, the gearbox and rear axle had both had an oil change in 1990.
The brakes were very good but the original fuel tank had gone poreous and leeked so it was replaced with a Bedford tank, but I see from the photo that it has been swapped for a round alli one, the original was sold with the lorry to hopefully be repaired and refitted.
Also for your information Mitchells were based at Elvington near York and not Hull as you first thought.
If you email me Carl I can send you some pictures of GBT at work as I,m sure they will be of interest to you, as for seeing you at Driff this year sods law has kicked in with my wife booking a holiday that weekend and it,ll be the first time I,ve missed it in many a year, Bugger !
Regards Tony H.

PS just had a thought, there was a blue letter M in the sign writing but only on the door and at the front each side of grill ! Tony.

this is gbt 309l now