ERF 'European' (1975)

ERF-NGC-European:
Someone ages ago suggested that more than 91 NGCs were built. The ERF archives only show 91 however.

We have to remember that although my register shows 95 NGCs, there is still potentially an awful lot of slack in the findings. Consider the following:

No. 38. The French unit 2758W92 was a demonstrator with Laiteries Preval of Vire, so it probably doubles with another one we’ve already logged.

No. 56. Likewise: another French demonstrator (red and white) which haven’t yet matched to a subsequent operator.

No. 77. This was a French drawbar outfit sighted by a pretty reliable transport historian / photographer, but there are no pictures to confirm this.

No. 78. Ditto. My reliance on pictorial evidence cannot be over-emphasised, because so many ‘reliable’ sightings have turned out to be 5MWs.

No. 80. The Wagner, Jemet Gossiliers of Belgium is again only rumoured.

No. 81. This remains a mystery, though a concrete one! The Dutch advert showing considerable detail about this unit, including its olive green livery, still doesn’t tell us who operated it. We thought it might be Prooi but both Rene Postma and Wobbe Reitsma spoke to Prooi and they are adamant that Prooi only ever operated a B-series ERF.

No. 82. We know about the Willemstein / Damco G+G unit but this 2nd one remains unconfirmed.

No. 85. The picture we have of this shows a drawbar outfit still in primer at the factory. It may well be one of the drawbar outfits we already know about.

No. 86. The Bahrain unit remains another very tenuous and inconclusive sighting. As we’ve discussed before, it may have been one of the ‘internals’ vehicles we know about or another 5MW (we know about one there!).

No. 88. The 2nd GL Baker NGC in Van Ommeran livery still lacks solid evidence. We still only have the sighting.

No. 89. The Earls Court demo unit is only cited separately because we don’t know which operator it went to. I subsumed other demonstrators into the register under their operators’ names.

No. 90. The third CAMEL unit still remains only a possibility because the report in Motor Transport suggested that there were more than the two we have pictures of.

No. 91. Again, the prototype or pre-production unit we have plenty of pictures of, almost certainly went to an operator we already know about (probably Van Steenbergen).

No. 92. Roland Dussaillant of Voiron is reported to have had this one but we have no further evidence than a reasonably reliable witness (which is why I included it of course).

No. 93. Ditto Transport Roland of Garbez, 62 Bourbon.

That’s fourteen units! So potentially a lot of slack like I say! There may well be quite a few more out there yet before we reach the real 91 mark.

So keep rummaging chaps!

Number 77 & 78 will be 100% accurate as Alberto Pesanti is a huge historian of trucks. He has taken other pics and really
does know his stuff.

1. Dussaillant confirmed to me that they 100% had one.

93.Garbez.The driver of that motor confirmed he drove it to me.

I have not looked for along time now and cant remember all the details but there were other French drivers that
confirmed others.

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:
Someone ages ago suggested that more than 91 NGCs were built. The ERF archives only show 91 however.

We have to remember that although my register shows 95 NGCs, there is still potentially an awful lot of slack in the findings. Consider the following:

No. 38. The French unit 2758W92 was a demonstrator with Laiteries Preval of Vire, so it probably doubles with another one we’ve already logged.

No. 56. Likewise: another French demonstrator (red and white) which haven’t yet matched to a subsequent operator.

No. 77. This was a French drawbar outfit sighted by a pretty reliable transport historian / photographer, but there are no pictures to confirm this.

No. 78. Ditto. My reliance on pictorial evidence cannot be over-emphasised, because so many ‘reliable’ sightings have turned out to be 5MWs.

No. 80. The Wagner, Jemet Gossiliers of Belgium is again only rumoured.

No. 81. This remains a mystery, though a concrete one! The Dutch advert showing considerable detail about this unit, including its olive green livery, still doesn’t tell us who operated it. We thought it might be Prooi but both Rene Postma and Wobbe Reitsma spoke to Prooi and they are adamant that Prooi only ever operated a B-series ERF.

No. 82. We know about the Willemstein / Damco G+G unit but this 2nd one remains unconfirmed.

No. 85. The picture we have of this shows a drawbar outfit still in primer at the factory. It may well be one of the drawbar outfits we already know about.

No. 86. The Bahrain unit remains another very tenuous and inconclusive sighting. As we’ve discussed before, it may have been one of the ‘internals’ vehicles we know about or another 5MW (we know about one there!).

No. 88. The 2nd GL Baker NGC in Van Ommeran livery still lacks solid evidence. We still only have the sighting.

No. 89. The Earls Court demo unit is only cited separately because we don’t know which operator it went to. I subsumed other demonstrators into the register under their operators’ names.

No. 90. The third CAMEL unit still remains only a possibility because the report in Motor Transport suggested that there were more than the two we have pictures of.

No. 91. Again, the prototype or pre-production unit we have plenty of pictures of, almost certainly went to an operator we already know about (probably Van Steenbergen).

No. 92. Roland Dussaillant of Voiron is reported to have had this one but we have no further evidence than a reasonably reliable witness (which is why I included it of course).

No. 93. Ditto Transport Roland of Garbez, 62 Bourbon.

That’s fourteen units! So potentially a lot of slack like I say! There may well be quite a few more out there yet before we reach the real 91 mark.

So keep rummaging chaps!

Number 77 & 78 will be 100% accurate as Alberto Pesanti is a huge historian of trucks. He has taken other pics and really
does know his stuff.

1. Dussaillant confirmed to me that they 100% had one.

93.Garbez.The driver of that motor confirmed he drove it to me.

I have not looked for along time now and cant remember all the details but there were other French drivers that
confirmed others.

That’s most reassuring :sunglasses:

EDIT to add ^^^^ that it really wasn’t my intention to appear to impugn the recall or memories of witnesses; or to belittle the efforts of those agents on here who have made such huge contributions by gathering vital data. It was my intention to seek to enhance what info we have by continuing to seek secondary and tertiary evidence in both documentational and pictorial form. So apologies to any who thought my post a bit sniffy!

DEANB:

ERF-Continental:
First of all…compliments for your ongoing dedication Rowena…refresh me on #91 and perhaps I can bring up more…

A-J

Be nice to see the pic of the Thibaut draw-bar you said you had ?

Yes, it’s a shame we haven’t seen a single picture of an NGC draw-bar outfit complete with its trailer. We have only the prime movers.

A while back A-J did put this picture on (below), which he says shows the LAG trailer that the Thibaut lorry pulled.

I wouldn’t be surprised if someone like Vanman came up with the goodies! He does some good searching :sunglasses: .

Thibaut LAG tailer from NGC.jpg

This picture reminds us neatly of the Calor - Coulier connection:

87417066_10221988113352240_2078309033579642880_n.jpg
newerf449.jpg

51901821289_0d77c8404d.jpg

A good mate of mine who comes on here sometimes managed over the weekend to acquire this rather splendid hand painted bone china plate from Sandbach. I think it’s a lovely piece:

:sunglasses:

With ref to above ^^^^^: the unit’s missing its roof vent but I reckon it’s got to be KDM 460N setting off for the 1975 Euro Test in Belgium. It is in factory colours and has a sun visor; and it’s pulling a French tri-axle Trailor tilt.

Furthermore, it appears to be very close-coupled. That’s not as unrealistic as may seem, given that when the ERF turned up to pick up its trailer they had problems matching the long pin to the turntable and ended up with it very close indeed (see pic below!).

grahamnewell erf1.PNG

Either that or it’s a tri-drive we weren’t told about :laughing:

We have had some nice press pics that were taken of the NGC at ERF’s factory on here. I dont recall seeing this
one before Ro ?

Its a nice change as shows the rear of the cab etc.

DEANB:
We have had some nice press pics that were taken of the NGC at ERF’s factory on here. I dont recall seeing this
one before Ro ?

Its a nice change as shows the rear of the cab etc.

That picture appears in the brochures in colour, Dean:

Also, we’ve had a few others taken from the rear - probably all at the same time!

Here’s another good reason not to agonise about which early NGCs off the production line had roof vents or not: if you look at John Ormandy’s January 1973 unveiling of the NGC picture and glance at the roof of the vehicle on the right, you can easily see that the roof vent was already there.

The bit we’ve been calling the roof vent was clearly just a cowl, presumably placed there the better to direct air into the vent.

Brussels by John Ormandy.jpg

It was called the ERF NGC ‘European’, with a 7MW cab.

Yet all over the net it gets variously called a:

MW7
7MW
‘Continental’
N-series
‘Dutch’ ERF

It’s no wonder it faded into obscurity! :laughing:

That last one is still looking good, pics from my Llandudno 2022 pics.

Steve

I quite like the Trilex rear wheels on that one! :sunglasses:

Spotted on a Dutch modelling website:

The Willemstein NGC (DB-77-52) lived to a ripe old age, as we know, having completed 1.3 million kms before being sold on to a breaker in 1989, by the time it was 15 years old. A glance at this picture partly explains its long life. It was clearly cherished and nurtured by its owner. Every picture we have of this vehicle shows it in a smart livery, adorned with all the better bling of the day and enhanced in more practical ways too – note the blanked out rear windows for better insulation. Even the wheels are lined out. Personally I’m no fan of bling in general; but I don’t see bling as an off-or-off switch: some historical bling is quite tasteful and practical.

nederland11%20wim%20willemstein.jpg

DB-77-52 ^^^^ was even fitted with a night-heater when new, by its owner Piet Kooy, who had ordered it from the ERF stand at the motor show.

280759293_2451707638303485_1536034055618515218_n.png

Not sure if this has been on before,
Think this maybe ex G.L.Baker.
(Not my photo)

pollystag:
Not sure if this has been on before,
Think this maybe ex G.L.Baker.
(Not my photo)

You are correct: it was ex GL Baker. Before that it belonged to AJ Bradick of Leyton.

newerfglbaker%20ifor.jpg