ERF 'European' (1975)

ERF-NGC-European:
PV83 just popped this pic on the Saviem thread. It is the more complete view of a picture we’ve had before, showing the French ERF NGC, registration 4644FX94, the draw-bar outfit belonging to La Fleche Marseillaise of La Talaudiere (dept. 42). I include a front view to jog memories and for context. Robert

Didn’t even realise there was a NGC lurking in the background Robert, as I was just curious about the Unic :blush:

[zb]
anorak:
Both vehicles look as if they are at the end of their lives. Judging by the badges on the Unic, it is a later one-closer to 1975 than 1970.

1. What are those odd fixings around the front panel of the ERF, I wonder?

2. The Unic is unusual- a French lorry with an axle configuration more typical of an Italian. Maybe secondhand Unics were more valuable to the French, so that one had a mid-life repatriation?k

I hadn’t noticed those fixings before. Nor had I noticed the odd attachments on either side of the bumper! Mysteries both. It occurred to me that the fixings might be for some kind of wind-proofing arrangement (like radiator shutters) but the pic below of such an arrangement stays within the grille area. It wasn’t normally a problem with NGCs anyway and this is the only example of shuttering we have - probably to keep out the polder winds howling from the North Pole! As for the Iti-spec Unic, I rather think you may be right! Robert

pv83:

ERF-NGC-European:
PV83 just popped this pic on the Saviem thread. It is the more complete view of a picture we’ve had before, showing the French ERF NGC, registration 4644FX94, the draw-bar outfit belonging to La Fleche Marseillaise of La Talaudiere (dept. 42). I include a front view to jog memories and for context. Robert

Didn’t even realise there was a NGC lurking in the background Robert, as I was just curious about the Unic :blush:

:laughing: :laughing: :sunglasses:

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

3300John:
Hiya…Robert i don’t know if you,ve seen this…ERF gathering 1989 …on You tube…part way through the 7 min film clip
you can see GEH been driven onto the show ground. its in John Simmons livery…(its only a few seconds) later in the clip
theres a Leicester heavy haulage 5 mw cabbed double drive… mobile…i was at this show at Market Drayton.
i never took any photo,s though
cheers John

Thanks John, you are right! I had a look. It’s only a few seconds glimpse but it’s there right enough at close quarters and pulling a proper trailer!

The clip is made by Dave MacDonald Productions and is called ‘ERF Gathering 1989’ from its Classic Footages series. Here is the link:

youtube.com/watch?v=UCzdWYGZ5Sw

Enjoy!

Robert

Good find John.

Oh! Nice grabs Deano! Thanks!

They could have at least waited for the white paint to dry on the wheels first! :open_mouth: :laughing: Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
“anorak”

I hadn’t noticed those fixings before. Nor had I noticed the odd attachments on either side of the bumper! Mysteries both. It occurred to me that the fixings might be for some kind of wind-proofing arrangement (like radiator shutters) but the pic below of such an arrangement stays within the grille area. It wasn’t normally a problem with NGCs anyway and this is the only example of shuttering we have - probably to keep out the polder winds howling from the North Pole! As for the Iti-spec Unic, I rather think you may be right! Robert

We also had the pic of the Brame unit with a radiator cover on it chap. :wink:

They also used covers on there Transcon.

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:
“anorak”

We also had the pic of the Brame unit with a radiator cover on it chap. :wink:

They also used covers on there Transcon.

Good observation! Wind-proofing may yet be the answer. Robert

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

3300John:
Hiya…Robert i don’t know if you,ve seen this…ERF gathering 1989 …on You tube…part way through the 7 min film clip
you can see GEH been driven onto the show ground. its in John Simmons livery…(its only a few seconds) later in the clip
theres a Leicester heavy haulage 5 mw cabbed double drive… mobile…i was at this show at Market Drayton.
cheers John

Thanks John, you are right! I had a look. It’s only a few seconds glimpse but it’s there right enough at close quarters and pulling a proper trailer!

The clip is made by Dave MacDonald Productions and is called ‘ERF Gathering 1989’ from its Classic Footages series. Here is the link:

Enjoy!

Robert

Good find John.

Not a trailer Robert, just ballast to take up some of the bounce.

colinwallace1:

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

3300John:
cheers John

Enjoy!

Robert

Good find John.

Not a trailer Robert, just ballast to take up some of the bounce.

:laughing: I stand corrected Colin! I hadn’t realised it was ever displayed with a ballast box. Cheers for that! Robert

More of the same, I know; but at least it’s a good image! Robert

What happened to the blue tractor in France- Transports Collins, IIRC? It would be nice to see a 4x2 European tramping round the shows with a spread axle tilt, TIR plates and a Les Routiers sticker or two.

[zb]
anorak:
What happened to the blue tractor in France- Transports Collins, IIRC? It would be nice to see a 4x2 European tramping round the shows with a spread axle tilt, TIR plates and a Les Routiers sticker or two.

Onto the case. Have good contacts. Folk are bidding for it, but the silly old fool selling it still thinks he can command the price of a fully restored vehicle - duh! It will cost a fortune to restore it and he hasn’t factored that into the price. Good old-fashioned dog-in-a-manger greed then, as far as I can see it. By the time his children dispose of it after his demise, it will probably have rotten into the earth - ces’t la vie! Robert

Oh, and here’s a picture of GEH with that ballast-box on! I found it among my treasures :wink: . Robert

geh with ballast box.jpg

ERF-NGC-European:

[zb]
anorak:

Onto the case. Have good contacts. Folk are bidding for it, but the silly old fool selling it still thinks he can command the price of a fully restored vehicle - duh! It will cost a fortune to restore it and he hasn’t factored that into the price. Good old-fashioned dog-in-a-manger greed then, as far as I can see it. By the time his children dispose of it after his demise, it will probably have rotten into the earth - ces’t la vie! Robert

I ain’t no sharp-eyed motor trader, but I reckon it can’t have helped having the things venerated in a trilogy of very well-reviewed books :smiley: .

Let’s hope he sees sense before the tin-worm takes a proper hold of it.

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-NGC-European:

[zb]
anorak:

I ain’t no sharp-eyed motor trader, but I reckon it can’t have helped having the things venerated in a trilogy of very well-reviewed books :smiley: .

Let’s hope he sees sense before the tin-worm takes a proper hold of it.

With any luck he hasn’t seen them! :laughing: Flippin’ authors killing the goose that lays the golden egg and all that! Robert

Cant remember if we have had this one before Robert ? :unamused:

newerf k.jpg

DEANB:
Cant remember if we have had this one before Robert ? :unamused:

No we haven’t! :sunglasses: Thank you! A new image :slight_smile: . This is No. 3 on the (my) register, featuring 87-69-RB (1976) in the Vermeulen fleet. It had previously been operated by Cees Willemstein in Goedkoop de Geus (G+G) livery until 1981; and then by De Regt of Nieuwerkerk in Nabek livery until 1982; after which Vermeulen ran it :wink: . Robert

Remember Pete Smith posted the first 2 pics a while back on FB Robert. The 3rd one is a new one taken in Belgrade.

DEANB:
Remember Pete Smith posted the first 2 pics a while back on FB Robert. The 3rd one is a new one taken in Belgrade.

:sunglasses: Nice one Dean (and Pete Smith!). Would that be the National Hotel in Belgrade - a favourite watering hole of the day? Just a reminder that the ERF is NFH-120P and the logo on the driver’s door is an ERF one. Robert

Click on pic for better view,well part view. :smiley:

richard read ngc.PNG.jpg

DEANB:
Click on pic for better view,well part view. :smiley:

Yes, I have this photo. It’s NFH 120P peeping from behind! robert