ERF 'European' (1975)

DEANB:
One of Pountains racing.(click on twice)

Ah yes! I wonder if it was delivered by the NGC outfit they used for the race meets - a fine picture of which you’ll see in Book 3! Robert

A reminder that we still need to look out for more pics of GL Baker’s NGC (MMG 772P) and any of it in the livery of AJ Bradick of Leyton (London). We should also be vigilant for pics of the reported ‘sister’ NGC of GL Baker painted in the livery of the Dutch container mover, Van Ommeren. Robert

odds%20london.jpg

DEANB:
Have been scanned the original photo of the Preval unit and after double checking with the
photographer i can confirm the correct registration number is 2758 W92.

Just been trawling back through some of the details on the thread over a glass of Mirto di Sardegna. I do this from time to time to pick up any details I missed when I was busy! I notice you mention double-checking the registration number with the original photographer in this old post of yours. Remind me if we discussed (perhaps behind the scenes) obtaining his permission to use the picture in the book! If not, it was an oversight on my part. Robert :unamused:

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:
Have been scanned the original photo of the Preval unit and after double checking with the

Just been trawling back through some of the details on the thread over a glass of Mirto di Sardegna. I do this from time to time to pick up any details I missed when I was busy! I notice you mention double-checking the registration number with the original photographer in this old post of yours. Remind me if we discussed (perhaps behind the scenes) obtaining his permission to use the picture in the book! If not, it was an oversight on my part. Robert :unamused:

I am sure he did and i am sure we did discuss it chap ! But there have been so many messages with the
french contacts i will have to see if i can find it. He is very chilled so it wont be a problem. :wink:

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:

I am sure he did and i am sure we did discuss it chap ! But there have been so many messages with the
french contacts i will have to see if i can find it. He is very chilled so it wont be a problem. :wink:

Good man! I’ll see if we can sneak it into Bk 3 before things get too entrenched! However, if you’ve got a name I can use, all the better, as I have just checked my carefully kept list of all permissions with photocopies of your permission evidences clipped to it and I can find no reference to this one on it :wink: . Robert

EDIT: ah! Method in my madness - I’ve just realised why I didn’t request permission! The picture with the printing across it removed is of much poorer quality than the best one with black print. Alas! Never mind, onward and upward. Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:

Good man! I’ll see if we can sneak it into Bk 3 before things get too entrenched! However, if you’ve got a name I can use, all the better, as I have just checked my carefully kept list of all permissions with photocopies of your permission evidences clipped to it and I can find no reference to this one on it :wink: . Robert

EDIT: ah! Method in my madness - I’ve just realised why I didn’t request permission! The picture with the printing across it removed is of much poorer quality than the best one with black print. Alas! Never mind, onward and upward. Robert

Send me a email chap with the pics as i think its the same chap that took it ■■

I just had a quick look and found a message that i translated via google which is a bit hit and miss.I could
never contact the French driver that posted the message. It was referring to a photo of a Ford Transcon
in draw-bar spec. He was basically saying he had the same set up with an ERF and it would have been
great if we could have found a photo. I think he was impressed with the way it went ! lol

DEANB:
Send me a email chap with the pics as i think its the same chap that took it ■■

I just had a quick look and found a message that i translated via google which is a bit hit and miss.I could
never contact the French driver that posted the message. It was referring to a photo of a Ford Transcon
in draw-bar spec. He was basically saying he had the same set up with an ERF and it would have been
great if we could have found a photo. I think he was impressed with the way it went ! lol

OK I’ll email you all the pics. However, don’t forget an ERF of that description in 1974 could still have been a 5MW :wink: . Cheers, Robert

I’m pretty sure this first one hasn’t been posted on this thread. Any old road up, I was glancing at the headboard and asking myself if the added name-board over the cab was typical of NGCs. Well, of course it wasn’t because in general this feature was only popular in certain countries like Britain and Denmark. However, I then remembered a limited number of NGCs had these boards, as follows. Robert

newerf611%20%20dave%20lee%20pic.jpg

You may remember this picture of Van Steenbergen (Belgium) NGC fleet No.16:

Well, I found another picture taken from a slightly different angle on ebay, as follows:

Bon weekend!

Robert

We have a new one but unfortunately no pics. I saw a french driver had commented on a thread in facebook
mentioning that he had driven a ERF in 1974/75. I sent him a message with some photos of NGC’s and he
finally replied this week after 6 months !

He has confirmed that it was definately a 7MW after i double checked and sent him more photos.

The haulier was a company called Transport Roland Garbez from Bourlon (Pas de Calais) near Cambrai.
I think the registration should end in 62.

He confirms it was an artic pulling a tipper trailer. It was british racing green with a red grille.
Unfortunately Mr Garbez has died but he is trying to contact his sister to see if she has any photos.

I have also asked him to confirm if they operated just the one or more ERF’s ?

Click on once to read.

DEANB:
We have a new one but unfortunately no pics. I saw a french driver had commented on a thread in facebook
mentioning that he had driven a ERF in 1974/75. I sent him a message with some photos of NGC’s and he
finally replied this week after 6 months !

He has confirmed that it was definately a 7MW after i double checked and sent him more photos.

The haulier was a company called Transport Roland Garbez from Bourlon (Pas de Calais) near Cambrai.
I think the registration should end in 62.

He confirms it was an artic pulling a tipper trailer. It was british racing green with a red grille.
Unfortunately Mr Garbez has died but he is trying to contact his sister to see if she has any photos.

I have also asked him to confirm if they operated just the one or more ERF’s ?

Click on once to read.

Fantastic, Dean! Great news! Let’s hope I can sneak it into the book before the final proofs arrive :open_mouth: . This will appear as No. 93 on my register (that doesn’t mean there were 93 of course!).

Fingers crossed for a pic or two from the sister :wink:

Cheers,

Robert

The french driver confirms that they only had one. It was fitted with 13 speed fuller and had a jake brake.

DEANB:
The french driver confirms that they only had one. It was fitted with 13 speed fuller and had a jake brake.

Ah! That’s good to know. If it had a 13-sp it would almost certainly have an NTC 290 unless the box was retro-fitted. NGCs came with Jake-brakes as standard equipment.

Cheers!

Robert

Just received a better picture of KRH 153P in this stage of its life. Meanwhile, here’s a picture we already have. It appears to be either when Phil Horridge took it over from Ted Crosswell of Hull, or maybe later when Phil had the engine, gearbox and axle replaced. Does anyone know if the racing legend on the windscreen sun-strip (Circuit Paul Ricard) was just a driver’s fancy or was the unit used to haul racing trucks (other than its Spain/Portugal trips)? Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
Just received a better picture of KRH 153P in this stage of its life. Meanwhile, here’s a picture we already have. It appears to be either when Phil Horridge took it over from Ted Crosswell of Hull, or maybe later when Phil had the engine, gearbox and axle replaced. Does anyone know if the racing legend on the windscreen sun-strip (Circuit Paul Ricard) was just a driver’s fancy or was the unit used to haul racing trucks (other than its Spain/Portugal trips)? Robert

I will try and have a word with Phil or a driver who drove for him and see if he can find out ! :wink:

A month or two back Classic Truck ran this article in two parts about the B-series, but Peter Davies included some information and comments about the NGC (7MW) as well so I’ve scanned it. Robert

Wise words from ‘Zb-anorak’ this morning on the Scania-LV thread. They apply just as aptly to this thread, so I reproduce them here:

The thread contains many mistakes, most or all of which are corrected later. That is the nature of the job. There is lots of observations/discussion, some of which eventually reaches a logical conclusion. If every post contained 100% corroborated certainty, that would be great, but it is never going to be that way. The thread is about half a dozen interested people-worldwide-sharing the things they see. Occasionally, one makes a deduction on which all can agree.

Robert :wink:

You will remember this phase of HNV 59N’s life with the Watt group, operated by Redcap:

newerf609.jpg

well, here is one of its successors - another ERF, of course!

You can look forward to a fine, previously unseen picture of the same vehicle performing race-truck transport with Pountain Heavy Haulage, along with some other previously unseen images, in Lorries of Arabia book 3 this autumn :wink: .

Robert

Trying to get a copy of this about Cauvas.

DEANB:
Trying to get a copy of this about Cauvas.

Blimey Dean, that’s an interesting find. If we can get hold of it, it might reveal more detail about the conversion! Also, there is a new picture visible there:

cauvas%20brocDETAIL.jpg

Robert