ERF 'European' (1975)

ERF:
Out of thousands of works ERF photos, I have so far found just 9 that feature the NGC.

I’ll do a deal with you Dean - you find the magazine with my Foden S10 in it, and I’ll scan and post all the works ERF pics!.
Here is my side of the bargain… :laughing:

Easy tiger !!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The magazine you require chap is Truck magazine August 1982. Now i only have the one copy otherwise you
could have it. I looked at trying to cut the advert out for you,but the writing is so close to the middle spine
it will not be possible. They do come up alot on ebay so you should be able to find a copy. There is one on
ebay at the moment but its in Australia !! :unamused: :wink:

An article from the Road Way magazine about the launch of the European.

It would appear that ERF gave all of the truck magazines that would have attended the launch
the same press release as this is similar to the french one i posted last year.

Only the first 6 lines down to where it says “New to refrigeration market” apply on page 2.

Click on pages twice to read.

The french article.

DEANB:
The magazine you require chap is Truck magazine August 1982. Now i only have the one copy otherwise you
could have it. I looked at trying to cut the advert out for you,but the writing is so close to the middle spine
it will not be possible. They do come up alot on ebay so you should be able to find a copy. There is one on
ebay at the moment but its in Australia !! :unamused: :wink

Thanks Dean! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
That’s brilliant - I’ve just asked them for a posting cost!.

ERF:

DEANB:

Sent you a PM chap ! :wink:

A new one chap. No pic or reg number yet and not sure if we will get anything at the moment.

Some one posted a pic of the 2 Eric Vick ones on a french forum and Michel Dussaillant replied with
the following.

erf dussaillant.PNG

Basically that translates to say that his uncle Roland Dussaillant operated one with a 340 bhp engine.
(He has rounded up the 335 to 340)

I sent him a message with the brochure pic asking if it was definately this model.

He replied with this, which basically translates to. “The same as the orange one in the photo”

erf dussaillant1.PNG

Now like i said Roland was Michel’s uncle so i am not sure yet if it was in the same colour scheme
as Michel’s trucks. I am trying to find more information and if it was an artic or rigid as Michel Dussaillant
operated both from there base in Voiron department 38.

Pics of Michel Dussaillant transport.

dussaillant.PNG

dussaillant1.PNG

DEANB:
A new one chap. No pic or reg number yet and not sure if we will get anything at the moment.

Some one posted a pic of the 2 Eric Vick ones on a french forum and Michel Dussaillant replied with
the following.

It might be a draw-bar then, if the pics are anything to go by. Interesting that it is so far away from the Parisian cluster of other French NGCs; I notice that Voiron (dept 38) is only about 25-30 kms north of Grenoble.

Here is a site with all its history but no mention of an ERF:

fierdetreroutier.com/photos/ … illant.php

Robert

Over the weekend I drove up to the Truckhaven truck-stop at Carnforth to deliver two slide-talks to the annual gathering of members of The Long Haul Club. I must say, it was privilege to address this collection of transport men from the north of England.

My first talk was on the ERF NGC Europeans and their role in long-haul transport; and the second talk was on my own long-haul experiences. As always with these events, one or two memories were touched and I am expecting a little feed-back from new contacts made. ie watch this space!

Robert

Some more news from the weekend: Ashley Coghill exhibited his 1:24 model NGC at the famous Jabbeke model convention in Belgium and won first prize for it! Furthermore he got 2nd prize for his Scania Vabis. Congratulations Ash! Robert

And yet more news from this weekend: a friend of Ashley’s found a French transport book among the hundreds of books on display at Jabbeke, which contained the piece below about the blue NGC drawbar which Dean posted a while back. Unfortunately, the friend didn’t record the name of the book and couldn’t re-find it; he did, however, have the good sense to take the following pictures of the relevant page! Perhaps someone can translate the French caption for us. Click on image to enlarge. Cheers, Robert

IMAG3690.jpg

Ashley also met no less a person than Mr Van Steenbergen senior himself! Ash even sent me a snap of the man holding a copy of Lorries of Arabia open at one of the Van Steenbergen pages. Nice. I would love to have met him myself. I must say his son was very helpful to me when I was putting the first books together. Robert

Hi guys,

I visited Jabbeke Show on Saturday for the first time. Very impressive truck modelbuilding on show, mostly 1:24th scale. The book mentioned above I think is ‘Bahuts de France’. Anyway the stand holder was Editions Cany from France: editionscany.fr Good book hunting :slight_smile:

First of all sincere compliments for the beautiful scale model…it could drive away towards
the Middle East without hesitation!

By the way…Ashly met Frans Van Steenbergen (aged 73 now) who is the uncle of Marc heading
the transport-company-group nowadays. Frans is the youngest of the three brothers and being actively in charge for maintenance (and the workshop in general) of the fleet then

On the French NGC in two tones of blue: it is a drawbar as ‘un porteur’ in French is a drawbar and “un tracteur” in French a tractor. That possibly helps to focus on drawbar-units.

mandator:
Hi guys,

I visited Jabbeke Show on Saturday for the first time. Very impressive truck modelbuilding on show, mostly 1:24th scale. The book mentioned above I think is ‘Bahuts de France’. Anyway the stand holder was Editions Cany from France: editionscany.fr Good book hunting :slight_smile:

Wow, :sunglasses: that was a swift and effective response - thank you for that! Robert

EDIT

So here’s what we’re after (Tome 1 covers the '70s):

3129585734_1_2_GGesY388.jpg

ERF:

DEANB:

ERF: I found a small list with ERF’s assembled/delivered by ■■■■■■■ Distributor Belgium and I wondered if you have easy access towards the files?

The picture below is supposed to have been taken in Amsterdam in 1976. I mentioned on here quite some time ago that a couple of separate and reliable Dutch sources had informed me that the NGC in the picture went to Groen of Nieuw Lekkerland. And we know that their NGC was 16-37-FB, of which we have pictures and sure enough it looks like the same vehicle.

However, I have just acquired documentary evidence that 16-37-FB was registered in NL on 19/09/74. This means that EITHER that picture was taken in 1974, not 1976 OR Groen acquired a second NGC. I suspect that that the Amsterdam picture was taken in 1974 as it shows an early B-series. A 1976 picture would surely have shown the new B-series version with the Euro-spec sleeper cab.

Can anyone confirm the date of this picture?

Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

Robert

Looking at the B’ series it is definitely a 1974 example Robert.
I’m fairly sure this is the very first LHD pre-production vehicle.
The biggest giveaway is the bumper, it was made from GRP and had a moulded recess for the number plate. Neither feature made it through to volume production.

ERF-Continental:
ERF: I found a small list with ERF’s assembled/delivered by ■■■■■■■ Distributor Belgium and I wondered if you have easy access towards the files?

I don’t have any CDB information at all.
The ERF ‘archivist’ does have some information, but I’m sure he would very much appreciate a copy of your list.

ERF:

ERF-NGC-European:

Robert

Looking at the B’ series it is definitely a 1974 example Robert.
I’m fairly sure this is the very first LHD pre-production vehicle.
The biggest giveaway is the bumper, it was made from GRP and had a moulded recess for the number plate. Neither feature made it through to volume production.

Thanks ‘ERF’, that’s very helpful indeed! Cheers, Robert

Everything falls neatly into place now. Originally, I reported that the 1976 unit exhibited in Amsterdam went to Barend Sjouw (41-54-NB). This was disputed when other contributors were shown the above picture and told it was taken in '76.

Now that it appears to be a 1974 picture it becomes clear that the 1974 Best Trucks demonstrator went to Groen and the 1976 Best Trucks demonstrator went to Sjouw as originally claimed.

Robert

PS… And confirmation that Groen only had one NGC clinches it :wink: