ERF 'European' (1975)

This will, I believe, be a stunning model and a complete ‘one-off’. Those of you who move in truck-modelling circles, or regularly attend the June Gaydon events will certainly know what an enormous honour it is to have a model of this calibre made for you. Believe me: I find this gesture most humbling. Master craftsmen like Ashley and Jimski tend to select an interesting subject to model, along with what they consider to be a worthy recipient (of the model): you don’t choose them, they choose you! Recent examples include the Whitetrux Mercedes desert tractor made for the late Gordon Pearce to help promote his book, ‘Where’s Sharwarwa?’ and the OHS GMC presented to its erstwhile driver, Andy McLean last year.

Cheers, Robert

Small world just found this pic in a truck mag, Vee & Inline diesels ! They owned HNV59N for a while.

erfveeline.jpg

newerfcumminsa.jpg

DEANB:
Small world just found this pic in a truck mag, Vee & Inline diesels ! They owned HNV59N for a while.

Yes indeed - and a good reminder! Vee & Inline Diesels had it between ■■■■■■■ owning it and Richard Pountain acquiring it, so I’m still not sure whether Vee & Inline Diesels actually operated it, or whether (as a well-established ■■■■■■■ outlet) they simply acted as a dealer / broker. If they DID operate it, it would be great to find a pic of it in service with them. Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:

Yes indeed - and a good reminder! Vee & Inline Diesels had it between ■■■■■■■ owning it and Richard Pountain acquiring it, so I’m still not sure whether Vee & Inline Diesels actually operated it, or whether (as a well-established ■■■■■■■ outlet) they simply acted as a dealer / broker. If they DID operate it, it would be great to find a pic of it in service with them. Robert

Yes would be intrested in knowing why they bought a LHD ERF and if they did use it on haulage ?

Just come across this letter in a 1985 Truck magazine. Do you know Bob Sanders ,Robert ■■?

It says he drove for Eric Vick for 15 years so would have been there the whole time the NGC’s
were there. Looking at the letter he probably drove the A series and B series,but i am sure he
may well have driven one of the NGC’s. Could possibly have photos,so might be worth having
a chat with Chris Till ■■?

Click on twice to read.

I do like the letter preceeding ERF lover on ‘no tacho trips’ from A Driver , 3 months and no tacho records.

tony

tonyj105:
I do like the letter preceeding ERF lover on ‘no tacho trips’ from A Driver , 3 months and no tacho records.

tony

Thats how things were back then Tony ! :unamused: Bloody long way for a reload you would have thought it
would have been more viable to load back out of France.

DEANB:
Just come across this letter in a 1985 Truck magazine. Do you know Bob Sanders ,Robert ■■?

It says he drove for Eric Vick for 15 years so would have been there the whole time the NGC’s
were there. Looking at the letter he probably drove the A series and B series,but i am sure he
may well have driven one of the NGC’s. Could possibly have photos,so might be worth having

Click on twice to read.

Thanks for ferretting out that little gem Dean! The letter is interesting on all sorts of fronts. Firstly, you are right in supposing that Bob Sanders had driven NGCs: he is mentioned on page 39 of my second book. His first-hand experience declaration of faith in ERF’s back-up abroad certainly flies in the face of some of the opinions of one or two people on here who have never driven an ERF overseas! In fact I’d go as far as say that a couple of lines in there might be worth quoting in Book 3.

Another issue Bob raises is ‘North Africa’ which he lists among his previous destinations. Now, I’m assured again and again that CW Vick (no relation) was the haulier who did the Lister contract to Algeria and that no Eric Vick vehicles went further than the Channel ports in that direction. Maybe having North Africa on the front of his wagon made him blase about his list - or maybe some EV lorries went over there after all. Or he may have driven for CW Vick. Or he may have driven for both at the same time, as exemplified by the photo below! Another awkward detail as yet unresolved! The thick plottens.

Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:

Click on twice to read.

Thanks for ferretting out that little gem Dean! The letter is interesting on all sorts of fronts. Firstly, you are right in supposing that Bob Saunders had driven NGCs: he is mentioned on page 39 of my second book! His first-hand experience declaration of faith in ERF’s back-up abroad certainly flies in the face of some of the opinions of one or two people on here who have never driven an ERF overseas! In fact I’d go as far as say that a couple of lines in there might be worth quoting in Book 3.

Another issue Bob raises is ‘North Africa’ which he lists among his previous destinations. Now, I’m assured again and again that CW Vick (no relation) was the haulier who did the Lister contract to Algeria and that no Eric Vick vehicles went further than the Channel ports in that direction. Maybe having North Africa on the front of his wagon made him blaze about his list - or maybe some EV lorries went over there after all - another awkward detail as yet unresolved! The thick plottens!

Robert

I take it Chris Till must know this fella ? Also Chris must know about North Africa although
i assume you ave already spoken to him about it.

Sent you a email chap. :wink:

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:

Click on twice to read.

Thanks for ferretting out that little gem Dean! The letter is interesting on all sorts of fronts. Firstly, you are right in supposing that Bob Sanders had driven NGCs: he is mentioned on page 39 of my second book! His first-hand experience declaration of faith in ERF’s back-up abroad certainly flies in the face of some of the opinions of one or two people on here who have never driven an ERF overseas! In fact I’d go as far as say that a couple of lines in there might be worth quoting in Book 3.

Another issue Bob raises is ‘North Africa’ which he lists among his previous destinations. Now, I’m assured again and again that CW Vick (no relation) was the haulier who did the Lister contract to Algeria and that no Eric Vick vehicles went further than the Channel ports in that direction. Maybe having North Africa on the front of his wagon made him blaze about his list - or maybe some EV lorries went over there after all - another awkward detail as yet unresolved! The thick plottens!

Robert

I take it Chris Till must know this fella ? Also Chris must know about North Africa although
i assume you ave already spoken to him about it.

Sent you a email chap. :wink:

I’ve now got Chris onto the case :wink: .

Number 39 on the register. Registration MMG 772P was actually owned by G.L.Baker whos main office was
in Old Stratford Market Place,East London.They also had other depots and were taken over sometime in the
1970’s by BOC Transhield. They then run still in G.L.Bakers name under a new colour scheme as per the
attached pic.

The plain blue photo below must have been after G.L.baker/BOC had disposed of it.

newerf888a.PNG

Looked good in G.L.Baker’s colours !

newerfglbaker2.PNG

newerfglbaker1.PNG

G.L.Baker’s new colour scheme after take over from BOC Transhield.

DEANB:
Number 39 on the register. Registration MMG 772P was actually owned by G.L.Baker whos main office was
in Old Stratford Market Place,East London.They also had other depots and were taken over sometime in the
1970’s by BOC Transhield. They then run still in G.L.Bakers name under a new colour scheme as per the
attached pic.

The plain blue photo below must have been after G.L.baker/BOC had disposed of it.

Fantastic! I might even have seen the damned thing in service, as GL Bakers had a big depot in Faversham when I lived there in the '70s (became BOC Transhield/Euroshield as you rightly say, then eventually GIST. In fact I briefly drove E-series ERFs for Euroshield on their Paris/Antwerp run so MMG 772P might well have been used for similar channel-hopping. Transhield did run some LHD lorries after GL Baker. What a find, chap!

Robert

DEANB:

tonyj105:

tony

Thats how things were back then Tony ! :unamused: Bloody long way for a reload you would have thought it

tell me about it, I’m a man who drove a TK drawbar to Frejus in 1980 with a tacho head fitted , but not connected . none too clever when you’re carrying 2 x 26’ mobile homes

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:
attached pic.

Fantastic! I might even have seen the damned thing in service, as GL Bakers had a big depot in Faversham when I lived there in the '70s (became BOC Transhield/Euroshield as you rightly say, then eventually GIST. In fact I briefly drove E-series ERFs for Euroshield on their Paris/Antwerp run so MMG 772P might well have been used for similar channel-hopping. Transhield did run some LHD lorries after GL Baker. What a find, chap!

Robert

I’ve amended the register accordingly and updated other records. I wonder what happened to it! I expect its remains linger in some scrapyard in Kent or London. Robert

tonyj105:

DEANB:

tonyj105:

tony

tell me about it, I’m a man who drove a TK drawbar to Frejus in 1980 with a tacho head fitted , but not connected . none too clever when you’re carrying 2 x 26’ mobile homes

:laughing: :laughing:

ERF-NGC-European:

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:
attached pic.

Robert

I’ve amended the register accordingly and updated other records. I wonder what happened to it! I expect its remains linger in some scrapyard in Kent or London. Robert

Thats what i find so frustrating ,it could of even been Shamara’s / Raynor Plant’s one ■■ or was it definately
confirmed that was the ex Read one ?

DEANB:
[Thats what i find so frustrating ,it could of even been Shamara’s / Raynor Plant’s one ■■ or was it definately

Well, Shamara definitely operated the ex-Vijore (Read) one and we’ve identified details that match. We still don’t the official story.

With regard to my comments about GL Baker, I notice that MMG had Faversham + telephone no. on the side and as it’s at the top of the list I wonder if it was operated from the Faversham depot. I’ll pop the picture on the GL Baker thread and see if anyone remembers it. I might pop it on the Kent Transport thread for the same reason.

Meanwhile, Chris (Eric Vick driver) has been back to me and confirms that Bob Sanders (and also a Terry Fitt) drove 249P after he packed up.

Also, confusion seems to have arisen about the North Africa thing. Apparently, Eric Vick definitely DID do North Africa but it’s thought that no ERF NGCs went over there - however, the lads are doing some more homework for us on that front!

Cheers,

Robert

Notice that MMG 772P still has its roof-vent in the GL Baker pic :wink: . Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:
[Thats what i find so frustrating ,it could of even been Shamara’s / Raynor Plant’s one ■■ or was it definately

Well, Shamara definitely operated the ex-Vijore (Read) one and we’ve identified details that match. We still don’t the official story.

With regard to my comments about GL Baker, I notice that MMG had Faversham + telephone no. on the side and as it’s at the top of the list I wonder if it was operated from the Faversham depot. I’ll pop the picture on the GL Baker thread and see if anyone remembers it. I might pop it on the Kent Transport thread for the same reason.

Meanwhile, Chris (Eric Vick driver) has been back to me and confirms that Bob Sanders (and also a Terry Fitt) drove 249P after he packed up.

Also, confusion seems to have arisen about the North Africa thing. Apparently, Eric Vick definitely DID do North Africa but it’s thought that no ERF NGCs went over there - however, the lads are doing some more homework for us on that front!

Cheers,

Robert

Do they know if Bob is still around ?

ERF-NGC-European:
Notice that MMG 772P still has its roof-vent in the GL Baker pic :wink: . Robert

Intresting i wonder why the next owner removed it ■■?

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:

Cheers,

Robert

Do they know if Bob is still around ?

ERF-NGC-European:

Intresting i wonder why the next owner removed it ■■?

Bob is no longer with us.

Regarding the vent: it just might have been removed as part of a pet-regs conversion, or maybe it was just knocked off by a low sign!

Robert

It has a fleet number (792). I wonder if GL Baker used the first digit to denote the depot. I’ve popped a question on the GL Baker thread. robert