ERF 'European' (1975)

Nothing confirmed yet,but have been told the following today.

The blue one reg MMG772P could possibly have been operated by a company called J & H’s Trafford Park,
Manchester. Not confirmed just a name i have been given ? Does that name ring a bell with anyone ■■?

newerf888a.PNG

DEANB:
I have now heard back from transport P.Brame regarding the NGC that they operated.

He has confirmed that they only operated the one,and at this moment in time he cannot find any
more photos of the truck or a registration number. However he is going to contact me should he
find either.

He has also told me that the truck had a bad accident and was written off and they broke the
vehicle for spares as they also operated two ■■■■■■■ powered Ford Transcontinentals.

It’s useful to know that it was scrapped by Brame P because we can at least eliminate from enquiries about whom it may have passed to next! Thanks for that detective work. Robert

KRH 153P was operated by Ted Croswell of Hull, before later passing to Phil Horridge of Poole. The first picture below shows it parked up in France en route to Spain, still in Crosswell livery but by now in the service of Phil Horridge and driven by Fred Travers. This was posted on social media and was sent on to me with the information that the poster, as well as stating where it was parked, claimed that it had a ■■■■■■■ 250. This may be a typo, but it is possible. No NGC has yet turned up with one, but the NGC brochures did offer the naturally-aspirated 250 as an option. I’m not entirely sure why anyone would buy a premium Euro-truck with a 250 in it when the turbo-charged 335 was standard, but it should be remembered that in '75/'76 the 250 was still a very respectable lump at 32-tonnes (I remember driving an SA400 with one in during the mid '80s). If true, it might also explain why KRH 153P was later fitted with a ■■■■■■■ 350 from a heavy plant machine!

IMG_0536.JPG
newerf261CLOSE.jpg

ERF-NGC-European:
KRH 153P was operated by Ted Croswell of Hull, before later passing to Phil Horridge of Poole. The first picture below shows it parked up in France en route to Spain, still in Crosswell livery but by now in the service of Phil Horridge and driven by Fred Travers. This was posted on social media and was sent on to me with the information that the poster, as well as stating where it was parked, claimed that it had a ■■■■■■■ 250. This may be a typo, but it is possible. No NGC has yet turned up with one, but the NGC brochures did offer the naturally-aspirated 250 as an option. I’m not entirely sure why anyone would buy a premium Euro-truck with a 250 in it when the turbo-charged 335 was standard, but it should be remembered that in '75/'76 the 250 was still a very respectable lump at 32-tonnes (I remember driving an SA400 with one in during the mid '80s). If true, it might also explain why KRH 153P was later fitted with a ■■■■■■■ 350 from a heavy plant machine!

Lets hope we can get some more details on this one. Like you say a 250 bhp in some ways was a fairly
powerful motor in the mid 70s compared to a 180 atkinson borderer for instance !

Looks like its been a very productive day all the way round ! :wink:

DEANB:
Nothing confirmed yet,but have been told the following today.

The blue one reg MMG772P could possibly have been operated by a company called J & H’s Trafford Park,
Manchester. Not confirmed just a name i have been given ? Does that name ring a bell with anyone ■■?

Didn’t J & H have depots in various parts of the country? I’ve just found a thread about them and popped a request and picture on it. Here’s the link:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=68845&p=2346353#p2346353

robert

ERF-NGC-European:

It may be the lateness of the hour, the wine consumed, or looking through the wrong part of the specs, but that may well be the saddest looking ERF I’ve ever seen!

John

John West:

ERF-NGC-European:

It may be the lateness of the hour, the wine consumed, or looking through the wrong part of the specs, but that may well be the saddest looking ERF I’ve ever seen!

John

Don’t worry John, Phil smartened it up later! R

Upon reflection, KRH 153P is the only NGC I know of that did Spain. I wonder if it did Portugal too. Here’s a reminder of how it looked in PG Horridge livery (photo by Colin Knapp). Below that is a pic of Phil’s later B-series parked up at Irun border in Spain. Robert

I think it’s important to know where NGCs ventured because it encourages closer scrutiny of roadscenes in various areas. Now that we know that they got into the Iberian Peninsula, for example, we can look more carefully at ‘70s pics taken there.

Below is a list of countries I know that NGCs went to one way or another (ie to load, to tip, to transit, to do internals or as export vehicles). The list covers most of Western Europe, some East Europe, the Balkans, much of the Middle East and even the Indian sub-continent.

Of course, this list is not exhaustive and we’ll probably never know the whole total. Notably absent from the list are any Scandinavian countries, any Soviet countries or any North African countries but who knows what will eventually emerge?

UK
France
Belgium
Luxembourg
Holland
Germany
Switzerland
Austria
Italy
Spain
Greece
Yugoslavia
Czechoslovakia
Hungary
Romania
Bulgaria
Turkey
Kuwait
Lebanon
Syria
Jordan
Saudi
Qatar
Iraq
Iran
Afghanistan
Pakistan

Robert.

ERF-NGC-European:
Upon reflection, KRH 153P is the only NGC I know of that did Spain. I wonder if it did Portugal too. Here’s a reminder of how it looked in PG Horridge livery (photo by Colin Knapp). Below that is a pic of Phil’s later B-series parked up at Irun border in Spain. Robert

Pretty sure it would have done Portugal,will see if i can find out !

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

Yes, please do, as I have conflicting information about this. One of its ex-drivers put a comment about it pulling well up Sherbourg hill, very early in this thread. Another of its ex-drivers told me that it only did trailer change-overs in Sherbourg docks. Your recent picture is accompanied by a note saying that it was taken in Spain. The thick plottens! Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

Yes, please do, as I have conflicting information about this. One of its ex-drivers put a comment about it pulling well up Sherbourg hill, very early in this thread. Another of its ex-drivers told me that it only did trailer change-overs in Sherbourg docks. Your recent picture is accompanied by a note saying that it was taken in Spain. The thick plottens! Robert

Possibly when that driver used it he only did trailer swaps although he must have been part time or normally
drove another truck as that truck was always shipping out to Spain. You would not have a LHD truck and keep
it solely for UK work.He shipped trucks out to Spain and Portugal every week for years that is why Phil would
have bought a LHD motor !

Have they changed the name of Scherbourg ■■? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

Possibly when that driver used it he only did trailer swaps although he must have been part time or normally
drove another truck as that truck was always shipping out to Spain. You would not have a LHD truck and keep
it solely for UK work.He shipped trucks out to Spain and Portugal every week for years that is why Phil would
have bought a LHD motor !

Have they changed the name of Scherbourg ■■? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

No! :blush: Like a ■■■■ I’ve forgotten how to spell it even though I used to ship out to it regularly :unamused: Robert :laughing:

You will remember Albert Dale’s NGC in Beresford colours. He later ran an MAN (an article about which is on this thread) which appears again here in this cutting posted by Bubbs on another thread. Robert

18738834_222760554895133_1633042301538165237_o.jpg

Just been speaking to Paul Gee and his train of thought was that it looked like it was in a British rail
depot as loaded with railway sleepers ! Also as he pointed out the yellow vehicles parked up are similar
to the British Rail yellow vehicles. I have to agree,so change of search needed !

newerf888a.PNG

Hi! Sure this one must be have been on here? But think i like the Volvo better,but hey im swedish :sunglasses:
Cant remeber were i saw this pic but it was here on T/N.

Danne

Casual Observer:
Coupled to a Tri Axle Twin Wheeled trailer , with concrete railway sleepers .

Looks to be in a Costain Concrete plant , possibly Tallington .

I still believe this to be a concrete plant , which manufactured concrete railway sleepers .

In those days , I think it would have been owned & operated by Costain , who took over , or swallowed up Dow Mac .

Dirty Dan:
Hi! Sure this one must be have been on here? But think i like the Volvo better,but hey im swedish :sunglasses:

Danne

Well spotted Danne! That unit peeping behind the front lorry was indeed PG Horridge’s later ERF B-series unit. Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

Dirty Dan:

Danne

Well spotted Danne! That unit peeping behind the front lorry was indeed PG Horridge’s later ERF B-series unit. Robert

So is it the same red unit a couple of pics up then? Thought the Volvo looked the same to?

Danne

Dirty Dan:

ERF-NGC-European:

Dirty Dan:

Danne

So is it the same red unit a couple of pics up then? Thought the Volvo looked the same to?

Danne

That’s right Danne. I put lots more pics of that B-series on the LHD ERF B-series thread a while back :wink: . Robert