Erf A series

Hi does any one know if an ERF A series GRL 13L still out there ? It had a Gardner 240 engine. It was owned by Koopman when I last sore it.
Tony

mercman123:
Hi does any one know if an ERF A series GRL 13L still out there ? It had a Gardner 240 engine. It was owned by Koopman when I last sore it.
Tony

Not looking good, Tony, I’m afraid!

The vehicle details for GRL 13L are:

Date of Liability 01 08 1983
Date of First Registration 18 01 1973
Year of Manufacture Not Available
Cylinder Capacity (cc) Not Available
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Heavy Oil
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Unlicensed
Vehicle Colour GREEN

I expect the engine was worth more for export than the lorry would fetch at that period - especially as the weights had just gone up in May 1983 and there was rather less demand for 32 tonners.

Hiya Mercman…123…going back to 1977… 1978…1979i drove GRL 13Land GRL 14L for J Harrison Milton Stoke on trent If you had taken notice
on the Big J story i have mentioned the GRL Girls… Only two nights ago i was talking to Gordon Harrison and he is going to let me have some pikks
from the 70/80s…GRL 12 L belonged to H tideswell Kingsley I think thats the correct order of the day.Malcom Harrison had 14L and a short while
after got hold of 12L and 13L but Tideswells got one of them.I think 13 L was dark Blue and Red when she come and possibly had 1200x20 tyres
which was unusual.I would have second hand lorries for a week to listen for any funny rattles before they was refirbed .I don’t have a photo
but she was identical to my 240 PRF298L (EX S Jones) on Harrisons.Both Harrisons GRLs had a Jennings sleeper fitted when they was sprayed up.

This is what she would have looked like in the late 70s

John

240 Gardner:

mercman123:
Tony

Not looking good, Tony, I’m afraid!

The vehicle details for GRL 13L are:

Date of Liability 01 08 1983
Date of First Registration 18 01 1973
Year of Manufacture Not Available
Cylinder Capacity (cc) Not Available
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Heavy Oil
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Unlicensed
Vehicle Colour GREEN

I expect the engine was worth more for export than the lorry would fetch at that period - especially as the weights had just gone up in May 1983 and there was rather less demand for 32 tonners.

Thanks Gardner240 I didn’t think it might be around now. Its been a long time. I do remember it had a new cab fitted too it when it rolled of the road with a load of apples on ! Where did you get the details of the lorry from ? Thanks again .
Tony

You’re welcome - the info’s from the DVLA website at dvla.gov.uk - look at the Vehicle Enquiry section

240 Gardner:
You’re welcome - the info’s from the DVLA website at dvla.gov.uk - look at the Vehicle Enquiry section

Ok thanks again. Tony

Do you know which dealer the units were bought from?
GRL is a Cornish registration,so for three units with this prefix to be found in the Midlands must have a story behind it.

Davnic:
GRL is a Cornish registration,so for three units with this prefix to be found in the Midlands must have a story behind it.

As they were known to be in the Stoke area in their early days, with a Cornish reg. you would think there was a connection with china clay.

When my dad drove GRL13L in the late 70’s he worked for a firm in Shropshire. tony

They did a lot of work from Beresfords in Stoke so that may be the connection. Tony

Trev_H:

Davnic:

As they were known to be in the Stoke area in their early days, with a Cornish reg. you would think there was a connection with china clay.

Trev…the only reason the GRL sisters ended up in the stoke area was Malcom Harrison (truck dealer)from the stoke area knew that companys
like Harrisons of Milton (no connection)was looking out for A series 240s to update their fleets from 180s. so when he went to auctions he would bid
knowing he had a good chance of selling 5/6 year old trucks.Malcom would phone John Harrison and tell him that a ERF A series was in his yard.
mercman has said that 13L was fitted with a replacement cab so this would make her more lucrative deal.I think her colour job was Shreddick.
John harrison had bought a 180 ERF off Malcom Harrison at a earlier time WCV126J which was ex Richards and Osbourne.
Harrisons did do China clay with a ERF 240 A series (SEH 602 L) which was a early 240 but i don’t think there was any connection with R and O or other companys.
Harrisons was always ERF company as Beeches Garage was just down the road and spares was always on the shelf.All ERF vehicles went through Beeches
at one time as the was the main agent.
John

These 3 ERF’s were new to Bazely transport St Columb Cornwall, and after having them a couple of years they were sold as the Company had financial difficulties, I worked for Bazely’s in their workshops whilst waiting to serve my apprentiship with ECLP Clay Works. The Lorries were driven by Donald Hambly, Morris Stacey And Jimmy Jewell. The ERF’s were painted yellow with grey wings and mud guards their chasis were silver. Thats about all I can remember of them, other than driving them around the yard and into the workshops. Bazely’s also had a V8 Mandator and some Guy Big J’s.

3300John:
Hiya Mercman…123…going back to 1977… 1978…1979i drove GRL 13Land GRL 14L for J Harrison Milton Stoke on trent If you had taken notice
on the Big J story i have mentioned the GRL Girls… Only two nights ago i was talking to Gordon Harrison and he is going to let me have some pikks
from the 70/80s…GRL 12 L belonged to H tideswell Kingsley I think thats the correct order of the day.Malcom Harrison had 14L and a short while
after got hold of 12L and 13L but Tideswells got one of them.I think 13 L was dark Blue and Red when she come and possibly had 1200x20 tyres
which was unusual.I would have second hand lorries for a week to listen for any funny rattles before they was refirbed .I don’t have a photo
but she was identical to my 240 PRF298L (EX S Jones) on Harrisons.Both Harrisons GRLs had a Jennings sleeper fitted when they was sprayed up.

This is what she would have looked like in the late 70s

John

Hiya …welcome and hello to truck net you,ll need some time on your hands now, theres that much to read and tell us
about your works and travels with the truck scene.
John

There is a little more I can tell you about the GRL’s, it is rumored that when Bazelys got in to difficulties the GRL’s were bought by Peter Richards of R&O but sold on immediately, Peter was distantly related to Mark Bazely, so it figures. I am trying to trace the history of an AEC Mandator which was owned by R&O and driven from virtually new by my father, Registration No KAF 402E, it was sold in about 1970-71 by them. I last saw it around the Buxton area in either 71or 72 painted blue, I do know that according to the DVLA it was last taxed in 85 and is not recorded as scrapped, so if you know anyone with any more information on this lorry ask them to pass it on. Guy 1100 a new member who would like to greet you all.