Entering The Fray

Evening all, first time poster, be nice :wink:

So, on Monday I embark on a week of intense Catagory C Driver Training.
Recently passed my theory tests, and I’m about to begin the “fun” side of it all, the driving! Basically, I’m after any pointers as to what to expect, I’m doing a week long course (20 hours) with my Catagory C Driving Test at the end of the week.
At the minute, my feelings are that of excitement, I don’t feel nervous about it all at all. That is, until I sit in my training vehicle for the first time, no doubt! I’ve had no experience of driving a large vehicle on the road. Manoevering a 7.5 tonne Iveco around our works yard and reversing it into our loading bay is all the experience I have had.
I’m training with a very well known company in this area, and I’m sure different places do things in a different way. Just looking to see roughly what I’m to expect on my course, as it really is a journey into the unknown!
Also, a quick question about Initial CPC, basically, can I do this module after I have passed my practical test? Jumping the gun I know, but is it something I HAVE to have before driving our vehicles after I have passed? Obviously I will want to get the CPC done ASAP, especially if I have to have it before I can even get on the road in our vehicles, but it’d just be good to know how the ground treads on that front.

Thanks.

Yep you need your initial cpc before you go out on the road commercially

There will be plenty driving gear changing mirrors mirrors & more mirrors neck could be soar from al the head turning which is normal or & mirrors some reversing

Ask your instructor all the questions as that is what you are paying for dont be afraid you can also ask on here

Relax enjoy or & dont forget the mirrors

Keep your fingers crossed for a good trainer. If you get one not suited to you then it may not be much fun at all. But if you pass at the end then it will have been worth it, however unpleasant the experience.

If you’re lucky enough to get a good trainer then I imagine it could be a real fun time if you enjoy driving big trucks.

Good luck with your training remember your paying THEM a lot of money so don’t be afraid to ask if you want to do extra reversing or roundabouts or whatever you feel unhappy with. If he/she is a good trainer they should make you feel comfortable.

Let us know how your getting on during the week

A quick update then.

Have to say that it’s been a very enjoyable experience so far. It’s been a real eye opener though! Amazing how much goes into just a simple 4th exit off a roundabout! I like my instructor which is good. He’s friendly, but firm, but he makes it comfortable for me, and he’s always willing to answer questions and anything he feels I’m struggling with, he’ll make sure he will find a route that will help me gain the confidence to pull of the maneovre.
So far, so good. My reversing maneovre is good, no problems with that, and my road position is also good. The one thing I’m struggling with is mainly roundabouts. You know what I’m going to say next, I’m not going out wide enough and therefore my back wheels are almost touching the kerb. It’s something to work on though. Apart from that, things seem to be going well. I’m making good use of my mirrors, but I do have a tendancy to not do a blindspot check, and thats something I have to work on. Surprisingly, I’m making good use of the gearbox and my changes from low to high range and vice versa are good. Just need to build up the confidence. I’ve not driven anything like this before, but I’m pretty happy with what I’ve managed to do in just 8 hours worth of driving.
Looking forward to tomorrows adventures! I’ve gotta get these roundabouts right!
Hopefully I can come back tomorrow night with good news!

Which LGV school are you training with?

The one thing I’m struggling with is mainly roundabouts. You know what I’m going to say next, I’m not going out wide enough and therefore my back wheels are almost touching the kerb.

As far as steering on roundabouts is concerned, forget it’s a roundabout and think of it as a series of bends. Almost with exception a roundabout is 3 bends: left, right and left. That will sort the steering. Now add all the other bits that are involved - mirrors, signals, observations etc.

All will be well.

Let me know if this works for you.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

JimCorky:
The one thing I’m struggling with is mainly roundabouts. You know what I’m going to say next, I’m not going out wide enough and therefore my back wheels are almost touching the kerb.

A fairly common problem particularly on smaller roundabouts. If turning right and there are 2 lanes on the roundabout try keeping your N/S wheels on the imaginary line separating the 2 lanes. If you are having problems with the left kerb as you enter the roundabout keep the O/S wheels on the centre line approaching the roundabout.

You will be fine with a bit more practice.

So, I took my test today and I’m pleased to say that I’ve passed!
Felt comfortable but nervous doing the test if that’s at all possible! Come away with six minors too so it’s been good. Amazing that I’ve gone from not driving a wagon before at all and after just 20 hours tuition, I’ve come away with a pass! Initial CPC is now booked for next Wednesday. I’m just glad I’ve got this out of the way! Now, any tips for CPC?!