English

Am I alone in noticing the general low standard of English on this website? Along with the general moans about pay and conditions… How does anybody who can’t string a coherent sentence together expect to bargain for more money?

If somebody points out an error in your grammar or spelling, how about correcting it and thanking them instead of becoming defensive?

After all, we don’t drive like that do we?

Tank you scanner, ill luk in2 it

HeavyOwl:

safe m8 u ga kil dem wid da lingwa enit :laughing:

:smiley: :smiley:

Scanner:
Am I alone in noticing the general low standard of English on this website? Along with the general moans about pay and conditions… How does anybody who can’t string a coherent sentence together expect to bargain for more money?

If somebody points out an error in your grammar or spelling, how about correcting it and thanking them instead of becoming defensive?

No your not alone.It makes you wonder if it reflects the low standard of driving we see everyday on our roads.
Regarding becoming defensive it seems to be the norm on here when some here things they do not like.Sad state of affairs really.

It’s been discussed on here before, and the consensus was that we’re truck drivers, not brain surgeons. As long as the sentence is generally understandable then there’s no problem.

Although for what it’s worth I do agree with you. I hate bad English an’ all. :stuck_out_tongue:

Scanner:

Be very careful now, any ball’s ups in your future posts and you will be reminded of this post :smiley:

I’m not a fan of bad grammar, but have the odd spelling mistake here and there, most are because of the poxy autocorrect on my phone, well that’s my story…

albion1971:

Scanner:

No your not alone.It makes you wonder if it reflects the low standard of driving we see everyday on our roads.
Regarding becoming defensive it seems to be the norm on here when some here things they do not like.Sad state of affairs really.

Oh, dear. Not a good start, really - Four primary school level howlers in only two lines of text… 4/10 - Could do better :slight_smile:

albion1971:

Scanner:

No you’re not alone.It makes you wonder if it reflects the low standard of driving we see everyday on our roads.
Regarding becoming defensive it seems to be the norm on here when some hear things they do not like.Sad state of affairs really.

FTFY. You’re welcome.
Were standards as bad as that in your day?

Scanner:

HeavyOwl:

safe m8 u ga kil dem wid da lingwa enit :laughing:

Roymondo:

albion1971:

Scanner:

Oh, dear. Not a good start, really - Four primary school level howlers in only two lines of text… 4/10 - Could do better :slight_smile:

Lol 10 outa 10

DaiDap:

albion1971:

Scanner:

No you’re not alone.It makes you wonder if it reflects the low standard of driving we see everyday on our roads.
Regarding becoming defensive it seems to be the norm on here when some hear things they do not like.Sad state of affairs really.

FTFY. You’re welcome.
Were standards as bad as that in your day?

PMSL!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Oh how ironic!

Spelling was an invention of the printing industry to suit the then requirement to block print, prior to this it made no difference if you wrote qween or queen, meaning is the same.

As it is not easy to block print when posting online creative spelling (or individual) if you prefer, is making a come back.

Internet forum is a place to share thoughts, ideas and information and the methods of inputting a post differ, mobi, laptop ECT.

It is also worth noting that many posters are not using their first language and as one who struggles with one language I have nothing but admiration.

DaiDap:
It’s been discussed on here before, and the consensus was that we’re truck drivers, not brain surgeons. As long as the sentence is generally understandable then there’s no problem.

This is the answer^^^

Thanks for that Dai, it’s saved me from some typing. :grimacing: :smiley:

DaiDap:

Although for what it’s worth I do agree with you. I hate bad English an’ all. :stuck_out_tongue:

This. ^^^^^

(Especially the last sentence… :laughing: )

Personally I don’t have a problem with the odd spelling error or poor punctuation, though I do sometimes wonder why people can’t use a spell checker.

Two things that I do wish people would stop though is text speak and uncommon acronyms :imp:

There are some Internet acronyms that are common and most people will know immediately what they mean, but some people appear to think of a whole sentence in their heads then write just the first letter of each word and expect other people to go to the trouble of deciphering it :unamused:

Text speak and uncommon acronyms are just a lazy way of writing and generally butchering the English language :frowning:, they may have a place in writing, but they should not have a place on forums imo, lol :confused:

Thanks for the replies chaps. I make mistakes all the time, but I’m trying not to. Sometimes it seems people just don’t care.

When I see mistakes on notices or signs it gives me a very poor impression of a company, for example.

Here we are trying to prove that we’re professionals who deserve respect and higher wages, we could at least check our spelling before we publish. Why leave yourself open to an easy shot from someone who disagrees with you?

albion1971:

Scanner:

How can you relate bad grammar and spelling to bad driving?

I had a big stinking ■■■ today I wonder if that will make me a bad driver tomorrow, because boy it left a bad stink :smiley:

Scanner:

Didn’t know we had to be able to write an essay to steer a truck

Tbh I’m quite ■■■■ about poor spelling. In fact I actually take a marker pen into toilets and correct the spelling of the graffiti on the walls (doesn’t go down well when visiting friends houses though :smiley: )

Having said that, if I see poor spelling or grammar here it’s certainly not the end of the World to me, but it does irk me if I reckon that it’s just pure laziness causing it as opposed to bad education.

the maoster:
Tbh I’m quite ■■■■ about poor spelling. In fact I actually take a marker pen into toilets and correct the spelling of the graffiti on the walls (doesn’t go down well when visiting friends houses though :smiley: )

Having said that, if I see poor spelling or grammar here it’s certainly not the end of the World to me, but it does irk me if I reckon that it’s just pure laziness causing it as opposed to bad education.

once I was having a dump in a truck stop toilet and someone had written on the toilet door “as beans” under “Man Utd Rule” :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: