England chances in World Cup [Merged]

One thing we learned from last night…If Harry Kane gets injured we are out :imp:

If Senegal couldn’t beat Columbia then England have got no chance. :open_mouth: England’s going home they’re going home they’re going home.Look on the bright side at least we’ll have a change.Instead of Germany winning it on penalties it’ll now be Japan winning it by having the fewest yellow cards. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Carryfast:
If Senegal couldn’t beat Columbia then England have got no chance. :open_mouth: England’s going home they’re going home they’re going home.Look on the bright side at least we’ll have a change.Instead of Germany winning it on penalties it’ll now be Japan winning it by having the fewest yellow cards. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

You read it here first… The final will be England 2, Brazil 1. :wink:

Harry Monk:

Carryfast:

I’m gonna put a tenner on Paddypower based on your prophesy Harry. If I lose I’m gonna sink your boat! :wink:

the maoster:

Harry Monk:

Carryfast:

I’m gonna put a tenner on Paddypower based on your prophesy Harry. If I lose I’m gonna sink your boat! :wink:

Ah, but when you win, you’ll owe me a beer. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll happily personally deliver it to you on any towpath of your choice Harry.

I don’t follow football but do follow markets.

From the price action so far, I will state here that this world cup imho is Britain’s best chance for many years.

I seem to recall this Southgate geezer being a bit of a liability on “Penalty Shootouts” years ago, but his strategy so far during this world cup - is that of a 4-star battlefield general!

Latest Prices “win outright” for the last 16 going into the knockout stage, as of Saturday Breakfast time:

Brazil: 4-1
Spain: 5-1
Belgium 7-1
England 8-1
France 9-1
Croatia 12-1
Agentina 16-1
Uraguay 25-1
Portugal 25-1
Columbia 28-1
Switzerland 50-1
Russia 66-1
Mexico 66-1
Sweden 66-1
Denmark 100-1
Japan 250-1

As a betting man, I would argue that England, Uraguay, and Russia represent “Value Bets” here, (Price higher than implied chance of winning)
whilst Brazil, Belgium, and France - the opposite. Remember that “getting beat in the final” is still a 100% loser on such a bet proposition, therefore with 16 teams still in play - NO one team should be shorter than 7-1 at this point. I would even suggest that Mexico might be worth a “wildcard” quid or two!
I don’t think we’re done with “upset” results as of yet… We’ve already seen Germany playing “where’s the goalie”, and England “tactically losing by one goal” to Belgium already - so who knows what strange stategems lie ahead in traps for the unwary hmm? :bulb:

Has anybody else noticed that there has only been one England goal in normal play, that was Lingard. (ok there was Harry Kane’s fluke deflection)
Rest were off set pieces.
They need to up their goal scoring game in knockout stages.

Btw Winseer, I got 14s on England winning, put a fiver on at start of competition.

Nice to see the Argies booted out by France, if only just to see that ■■■■ fat little dwarf ■■■■ in tears. :laughing:

Portugal down 1 0 at half time, here’s to dumping ‘‘The little Winker’’ next. :smiling_imp:
I don’t bear grudges :laughing: :laughing:

I’m checking the bigger prices with a possible easy ride through to the final IF any of the front runners get beat, and cause the next upset…

Look at a chunky price in the opposite side of the draw - thus hedging against England getting beat in the final by say, Mexico. If Mexico had been good enough to knock out Brazil along the way, then they would easily be good enough to knock out even nu-improved England Southgate. (Sounds like a parliamentary constituency…)

Latest prices for 14 left in now:

Brazil 4-1
France 4-1
Spain 5-1
Belgium 7-1
England 8-1 (If you can actually find a bookie still offering 8’s - then this is still marginally a value bet…)
Croatia 12-1
Uruguay 16-1 (Value Bet?)
Columbia 25-1
Switzerland 40-1
Russia 66-1 (Value Bet?)
Sweden 66-1
Mexico 66-1 (Value Bet?)
Denmark 100-1
Japan 250-1

the maoster:
I’ll happily personally deliver it to you on any towpath of your choice Harry.

Edit, wrong thread. :stuck_out_tongue:

After today’s action, we’re now down to 12…

Brazil 7/2
France 7/2
England 5/1 :arrow_right: (8-1 yesterday, and they didn’t play today!)
Belgium 6/1
Croatia 6/1 :arrow_right: (in from 8’s after beating Denmark on penalties.)
Uruguay 14/1 :arrow_right: (25-1 yesterday, and they didn’t play today!)
Russia 16/1 :arrow_right: (66-1 yesterday - another upset landed…)
Columbia 20-1 :arrow_right: (28-1 yesterday - didn’t play…)
Switzerland 28-1 :arrow_right: (50’s yesterday - didn’t play)
Sweden 33-1 :arrow_right: (66’s yesterday - didn’t play)
Mexico 50-1 :arrow_right: (66’s yesterday, still a value bet imo - so I’ve stuck a fiver each way on…)
Japan 200-1 :arrow_right: (250-1 yesterday, still considered no-hopers then…)

My thinking here is that Mexico get to play Brazil next, and are considered very much the underdogs…
If Mexico get past Brazil, it should be plain sailing to the final for them. :wink: :exclamation:

However I remember 2014…

JCFP.jpg
…when Germany (already out this time!) beat Brazil in the final… :sunglasses:

Has anybody else noticed that there aint as many flags and pennants flying this year.
Even myseIf, apart from now I’ve always had a pennant on the truck on my car snd on the van, also a flag in the garden in World Cups and Euros. (alongside the wife’s orange NL flag, but not there this year for obvious reasons :smiley: )
From my point of view too many memories of ripping them all down after penalty shootouts and stuff, and in 2002 coming out of the County Hotel Immingham, back to the truck, about 7am totally ■■■■■■ off (but not ■■■■■■ :smiley: ) on England’s exit, after Ronaldinio’s cross that he said was a shot. :imp: and chucking the pennant in the bin on the truck park in disgust. :smiley:
Yeh,.I know,…I take it far too serious, (both International.and at club level. :blush: :unamused: )

It’s definitely ours to lose now!!

A final between Russia and England would be interesting, since if Russia wnn - Putin would be accused of fixing it no doubt, whereas if England beat Russia, and Russia were then good-hearted about it - what a coup against the West Putin’s hosting will then prove to be!?

England will NOT then be keen to have all the Putin-haters trying to “take away from the legitimacy” of their World Cup Win…

It would be like in 1966 arguing after that “It’s all over” moment … “Well, Germany were not much of a team to beat this year, because they spawned Hitler” - eh?

Nothing doing for my value flyer on Mexico - no other value bets left now. :frowning:

Winseer:
A final between Russia and England would be interesting, since if Russia wnn - Putin would be accused of fixing it no doubt, whereas if England beat Russia, and Russia were then good-hearted about it - what a coup against the West Putin’s hosting will then prove to be!?

England will NOT then be keen to have all the Putin-haters trying to “take away from the legitimacy” of their World Cup Win…

It would be like in 1966 arguing after that “It’s all over” moment … “Well, Germany were not much of a team to beat this year, because they spawned Hitler” - eh?
:frowning:

I’d prefer just to keep all the political crap out of football. :bulb:

Winseer:

The final cannot be between England and Russia. If both teams progress they will meet in the semi-final.

whilst watching the football on the tv you will notice the clock and teams playing are shown in the top left hand corner using the first three letter’s to identify each team.
well imagine if it was SWEden vs DENmark the first three of each spells Sweden and what is left spell’s Denmark.

i’m just releived germany got knocked out early, imagine NIGeria vs GERmany. :bulb: :wink: