Engine Idling

How long do you all leave the engine running for in the morning.I am only asking as twice this week the lorry parked next to me has had his engine running for ages.Tues night i parked at Truckhaven next to a Pollocks lorry didnt need to get up at daft o’clock so didnt use the alarm.Next thing at 3.30 :open_mouth: :open_mouth: the said lorry starts up and sits there for 36 minutes with the engine running couldnt get back to sleep then.Then on thurs night i was parked at Cardiff west services and all i had to do on Fri was run in so thought i’ll wake up whenever but Mr dhl next to me had other ideas and started his lorry at 4 and wait for it didnt move for44 mins :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: .I normally bang the tacho in get dressed start the engine let the air pressure build up and move away to do my walkround check.Just wondered what you all do

smiler:
How long do you all leave the engine running for in the morning.

About 30 seconds.

As long as it needs for the air to be ok to move.

5 mins at most

About 30 minutes.
I usually set my alarm for about 2am start her up,slam the doors a bit,empty my toilet all over the floor making sure I splash the truck parked next to me,then go back to sleep for a few more hours.
Just keeps all the other truckers on their toes.

bikemonkey:
About 30 minutes.
I usually set my alarm for about 2am start her up,slam the doors a bit,empty my toilet all over the floor making sure I splash the truck parked next to me,then go back to sleep for a few more hours.
Just keeps all the other truckers on their toes.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

About 5 seconds.

The only things I need to do after starting up is put gear selector into ‘A’, release the park brake and press the throttle.

Walkaround checks are done with the engine off, and our trailers hold their air well so no need to wait on that score either.

I think it is very bad manners to idle an engine unnecessarily when others are trying to sleep, not to mention a waste of fuel.

Warming up time is not needed on modern trucks.

It usually takes 3 minuites of idle rpm to build the air in my trailer(empty) or 5minuites + if its loaded , then im off.
Still cant get used to the amount of steam a cold euro4 engine puts out on a cold morning :open_mouth:

ellies dad:
Still cant get used to the amount of steam a cold euro4 engine puts out on a cold morning :open_mouth:

Mine blows out a lot of steam when I first start driving. I think it’s the Ad-Blue doing its stuff and cleaning the particulate filters.

depends what youre driving to be fair, you could be driving an old heap of sheet that takes 10 minutes to build up air from cold

Simon:

ellies dad:

Mine blows out a lot of steam when I first start driving. I think it’s the Ad-Blue doing its stuff and cleaning the particulate filters.

EGR scania does same in morning.

you cant leave mine running for more than bout 5 mins as it will then turn itself off

mucky:
you cant leave mine running for more than bout 5 mins as it will then turn itself off

■■■■■?

bikemonkey:
■■■■■?

Possibly the best use of that word I have ever seen

“random”

Not so much running the engine,but I just love doing changeovers next to a truck where the driver is asleep.

Nothing is better,than leaving the radio on full blast,■■■■■■ and blinding with your changeover guy,making sure that the trailer legs are about 5 inches off the floor,so that the trailer lands on the ground with a resounding thud,and then when going under my next trailer,reversing at such speed,that it hits the pin with a bang,and pushes the trailer back about 10 feet,scraping the legs along the floor.

Well,I’m of the opinion,that if I’m up,everyone should be up,but I am considerate insofar as I turn the engine off,when I’m not in the cab,but doing the connection of the susies,and winding whats left of the legs up. :wink:

Ken.

30 mins this morning never anoyed anyone and doesnt hurt the turbo . plus i can have a brew a ciggy and choose another couple of donkeys (to lose my money one) but when ive been parked beside someone i have the courtesy
to get my air tanks filled .do a light /walk round check then go
as most pollocks drivers are single cell amoeba
your tale is a bit tame i was with them twice
some ff these guys put darwins theory in doubt
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Quinny:
Not so much running the engine,but I just love doing changeovers next to a truck where the driver is asleep.

Nothing is better,than leaving the radio on full blast,■■■■■■ and blinding with your changeover guy,making sure that the trailer legs are about 5 inches off the floor,so that the trailer lands on the ground with a resounding thud,and then when going under my next trailer,reversing at such speed,that it hits the pin with a bang,and pushes the trailer back about 10 feet,scraping the legs along the floor.

Well,I’m of the opinion,that if I’m up,everyone should be up,but I am considerate insofar as I turn the engine off,when I’m not in the cab,but doing the connection of the susies,and winding whats left of the legs up. :wink:

Ken.

Of course you forgot ken, you have to make sure the reversing bleeper is switched on too

JB:

Quinny:

Ken.

Of course you forgot ken, you have to make sure the reversing bleeper is switched on too

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Quinny:

Ken.

[zb]

Can’t decide whether to edit that as language or personal attack. It’s gone, anyway. L. :wink:

JB:

Quinny:

Ken.

That only works well if you are a crap driver JB and need 15 shunts to get into 3 empty bays :smiley: