Enfield & Lea Valley Hauliers

Hey Will, of course Tony qualifies for the list of Enfield haulers, he’s to legendary to forget

hi, i worked for Home Counties in pegamoid rd which is just round the corner in n18.they were taken over by Greenwoods transport and most of their work was on the print out of odhams press in watford.
cheers steve.

AUSSIED:
I lived and worked in Enfield and the surrounding area for many years,
T&T Transport

T&T, Were these were the ones I remember as LTB Thear? I used to hear 'orror stories of working for them but was never sure if they were true.
Apparently you had to buy your own Jack and wheelbrace amongst other things :open_mouth: . I would like to hear the truth from someone who worked there…so spill the beans :exclamation:

I only ever knew them as T&T, but sound about right, I was told many horror stories from drivers who worked for them, I would have rather stick pins in my eyes than work for them :frowning: , and believe me I’ve worked for some bad one’s over the years, but luckily most where alright :slight_smile: , but that’s the transport game, in 48years I’ve never come across a load that didn’t have to be delivered yesterday :smiley: .

Hi,

I lived and worked in Enfield before moving to Essex some years ago.

I first worked for KG Farrow & Son in 1988 when their colours were navy blue with a red chassis. The guvnor Keith decided on the colour change to Black & Silver (not white as said on here) because there were already enough hauliers in the area with the blue cab and red chassis design. (Stacey’s, Charlie Turner, Location Freight and our next door neighbours at Enstone road, North West Freighters)
He also never owned any Mercedes as stated. The main artic fleet were Daf 2800 x3, Scania 112M x2, which were then replaced by Volvo FH12’s X2 and Seddon Atkinson Stratocruiser’s X2. (Athough one of them was left plain white!)
The rigids were also Daf, but were mostly on contract to Ruberoid and painted in their colours.
Other Enfield or Lea Valley hauliers I remember were Micky Nicholls (Nicholls Haulage) Foxtons, Leggetts and owner drivers Cliffy Eaton, Johnny Edmonds, and Derek Nickolds (Not Nicholls) who ran a globetrotter first in Brown and beige, then white with blue & purple (?) writing on the ‘Tillar’ contract.
I have some pics of my time with KG Farrow that I will post up when I learn how! :smiley: (I only joined tonight! :open_mouth: )

My Scania 112 that I drove for Leggets.

Bit of a snowy night in Belgium for KG Farrows. We called it a night because we were losing traction up the hills! :smiley:

A Hercock Continental (When they were at South Mimms) Scania that we borrowed from Des Lacey to do an Italian trip while I was working for Farrows :smiley:

Radders:
Hi,
Other Enfield or Lea Valley hauliers I remember were Micky Nicholls (Nicholls Haulage) Foxtons, Leggetts and owner drivers Cliffy Eaton, Johnny Edmonds, and Derek Nickolds (Not Nicholls) who ran a globetrotter first in Brown and beige, then white with blue & purple (?) writing on the ‘Tillar’ contract.
I have some pics of my time with KG Farrow that I will post up when I learn how! :smiley: (I only joined tonight! :open_mouth: )

Yep, I remember Micky Nicholls and Derek Nickolds, I believe it was his neice Mandy who was married to Rolling Stone Bill Wyman.
The Hercock Scania was Johnny Whitbreads or as we knew him ‘The Mayor of Romfords’ mount :smiley: Must have been after he left as I dont remember the bumper being that rusty.
I ran into Cliff a few months ago at Purfleet brickyard.
I would still like to see a pic of of one of T&T’s motors, someone must have a pic :question:

Twoninety88:
Yep, I remember Micky Nicholls and Derek Nickolds, I believe it was his neice Mandy who was married to Rolling Stone Bill Wyman.
The Hercock Scania was Johnny Whitbreads or as we knew him ‘The Mayor of Romfords’ mount :smiley: Must have been after he left as I dont remember the bumper being that rusty.
I ran into Cliff a few months ago at Purfleet brickyard.
I would still like to see a pic of of one of T&T’s motors, someone must have a pic :question:

Johnny Whitbreads? I thought it was Dave Coop’s. Don’t know if it’s true, but I was told he went into hospital for a check up and never came out. :frowning:

I knew Alf Coski from Hercock’s as well. Met him once in ruberoids Enfield and then again in the other roofing felt place at Apsley Bridge (Nr Wigan).

You’ll have to mention me to Cliff when you see him. Last time I saw him, I was working for a distribution company in Enfield, booking deliveries in at RDC’s at night, subbing the work out to him, he was then coming in and loading them during the day, and I was driving his LHD Daf super space cab at night delivering them! :laughing:
We were doing alright between us until the new depot manager got wind of it and I ended up leaving! :laughing:

I was on for Hercocks while at South Mimms and You may well be right, the H was Daves, Johnny Whitbread had the G reg.
Dave felt unwell and went to the doctors, less that two weeks later he was dead. Really nice bloke too. Of all the continental drivers who carry loads of gear around with them, all Dave had was his bedding and a cup!

just remembered Prosser Brothers who used to run out of Waltham Cross. I worked for them for a while on the ‘Poupart’ contract. A lot of their work was delivering to the fruit markets at night. Anyone remember Richie and Barry? It was quite weird working for them as they never spoke to each other! Hadn’t done for years.

Barry used to run the maintenance side of things and Richie the operational side. You could be standing next to Barry, and if Richie wanted to know if a truck or trailer had been fixed, he’d come up to you and ask you to ask Barry! He wouldn’t ask him himself! Very strange! :smiley:

Prosser Brothers Scania with Poupart Trailer.

My Farrows Strato with Nicholls Trailer at Dover

The original colours of KG Farrows with a roped & Sheeted load from the National Coal Board, Chesterfield.

And again with something a bit different!

Myself, Bert Evans (I think?) and owner driver Johnny Edmunds in Dover after returning from Italy.

Owner driver Cliffy Eatons Super space cab tipping Red Bull in Tesco’s Northampton.

My Strato again ready to load machinery in Switzerland. (I was glad when they brought the sliding roof Euroliners in! :smiley: )

There was also Baxters haulage from Cheshunt. ‘Honest’ Uncle Bill ran trucks from Cheshunt and out of Goffs Oak as well as running a tyre and exhaust business. Tony Bradfield worked for him for some time too.

Not only did uncle Tony drive for Bill Baxter,but my Dad,Tony’s brother drove for him in the 60’s, Bernard Bradfield aka Sid.He still has many old photos of his days @ Baxters,pulling the long loads with an 8 wheeler & dolly.I remember the old yard in Waltham X @ the bus depot too.My other uncle Michael ( cowboy )also worked for Bill.

Hullo,

Johnny Whitbreads or as we knew him ‘The Mayor of Romfords’ mount

I always thought Johnny Whitbread (Toby Jug ) was known as the Mayor of Barking. Barry Cleaver as I recall was the Mayor of Canvey.
Cheers, Archie.

AUSSIED:
I only ever knew them as T&T, but sound about right, I was told many horror stories from drivers who worked for them, I would have rather stick pins in my eyes than work for them :frowning: , and believe me I’ve worked for some bad one’s over the years, but luckily most where alright :slight_smile: , but that’s the transport game, in 48years I’ve never come across a load that didn’t have to be delivered yesterday :smiley: .

The only firm that I can remember from the 70’s called T&T had light blue Bedford T.K’s and did some work out of Plysu ( plastic bottles ) at Woburn Sands, could this be the same one :confused: .
Blue Dart Transport had a depot on the A10 in Enfield just up the road on the same side as the Thorn Lighting factory, there were always a lot of London Carriers in there but I am not sure if the lorries were actually based there. In the early 70’s I remember spending a couple of rainy nights in a T.K. with a leaky roof :cry: in B &.G. Transports yard in Edmonton which wasn’t too far away.

Will. I cant say I remember Sid properly but the name rings a bell. Mick used to live in a caravan at the back of the farm in Goffs Oak and had a white Alsation I remember.
I was working in the Tyre shop at the time and left to take up HGV driving instructors job just after Tony went back to Swindon.
Not sure if ‘Uncle’ Bill is still alive but I believe the tyre and exhauset side of it is still up and running.