Enfield & Lea Valley Hauliers

Tony R:
Hi, Coward Bros , They indeed were on North Weald Airfield But prior to that we re in Erskin Road Walthamstow many moons before.

Coward bros ended up at chadwell st mary near tilbury, no more transport but still have wharehousing there.
Steve.

My memory really isn’t that great, but I’m kinda, sorta, nearly sure, that after Walthamstow but before North Weald, Coward Bros. were parking at the old Ted’s Cafe on Charlie Browns roundabout, but I will stand to be corrected if needs be. :question:
Also, regarding Derek Nickolds, he’s realised that what everybody was telling him about how he wouldn’t earn a tanner, is true. He sold the unit and trailer, and has reluctantly slipped back into retirement. I think that there are a few people on here, who would wish him a long happy retirement.

Anybody on this thread remember a haulier from the Enfield area called Luther’s Transport, I think they had a yard in Southbury Rd just outside Enfield town, I remember them having a very smart Foden 8 legger flat back but not much else about the company, does it ring a bell. Looking on GoogleEarth and realised just how much manufacturing Industry has disappeared from the area and with it the transport industry it supported ie: Enfield Rolling Mills, Ruberoid, AEI cables, Enfield Cables, Bellings, E & E Kays, Thorns, Fergusons, Platt Metals and dozens more, the same can be said for many other towns, sad ,sad times.

Vagabond, No need to be corrected, Cowards did park on the ground to the rear of Teds Cafe next to the old United Dairies depot at Charlie Browns, and in the end had a yard next to Martintrux yard at Chadwell St Mary. Regards Tony.

dave docwra:

2010vagabond:
One other name just came to me. Anybody remember H.E.Dobbs of Enfield? Their yard was in Windmill Hill, and had red Scania Vabis LB’s. This thread seems to have died though, so I’m not holding my breath… :cry:

Dobbs of enfield was owned by Jack Redburn, who’s son is Chris who owns Redburn Transfer, in the early seventies I had a Saturday job in the depot at Windmill hill, winding up & down trailer legs, I received 50p for the mornings work, it was
years later before I realised he was just keeping me out of trouble as most of the legs I wound down were the same ones I wound up again, still on the same units.

Anyone remember from the local area,
Hipwood & Grundy
Coward Brothers
T.H.Griffith
Star Removals
Webb Brothers Recovery
Pickfords
Plackets

I started on Hipwood and Grundy aged sixteen-years old as a mate. The yard was behind the ■■■■ Tavern at Lower Edmonton where I recall Fred and ||||||||||||||||||Yvonne and her father who was the manager. We had one six wheeler Seddon, one Leyland Octopus, three Commers and two Albion Reivers.

pollystag:

Tony R:
Hi, Coward Bros , They indeed were on North Weald Airfield But prior to that we re in Erskin Road Walthamstow many moons before.

Coward bros ended up at chadwell st mary near tilbury, no more transport but still have wharehousing there.
Steve.

Cowards spent time at 278 Crow Lane Romford after Erskine Rd,my Dad worked for them in the sixties & I spent many a happy hour at both yards. I am still in touch with George Coward & his sons,one lives a couple of miles from me in Suffolk & George lives in Newmarket.
I am on the right in this picture in 1967 at Crow lane,stood in front of the new Scania Vabis with Vicky’s 2 sons

E W J Medus ,S C Medus , Medus Bros all ran out of Upshire and waltham abbey.

I kinda remember Medus. Weren’t they green wagons? Tippers? I used to work with one of the sons, Les Medus, donkeys years ago!

2010vagabond:
I kinda remember Medus. Weren’t they green wagons? Tippers? I used to work with one of the sons, Les Medus, donkeys years ago!

Yes thats right Stanley Medus started working for Littlechilds on the horse muck then doing the fruit markets ,he then bought his own thames trader and used to sub off of Littlelchilds still doing market work ,EWJ Medus (bill) started with a old type Bedford flat bed doing London pudding to the pig farms then they both changed over to tippers and they was all painted green SC Medus parked at Hopkings nursery up pick hill Upshire they had about 5 trucks, then moved down to a yard down the mile in waltham abbey EWJ medus used to park up down waltham cross behind his house he then had a yard on the ind Est in waltham abbey he also had 5 or 6 trucks all on tipper work .Medus brothers was owned by Bill and Alan Medus and they had $ demountable boxes with 2 Bedford TKs doing sleeping bags out of Haverhill allover the uk. Bill is the only one still alive he is 92 and lives in Cornwall .Stan passed First followed by The younger brother Alan .

Only just found this thread and so am a bit out of date perhaps but I do remember Leggett Freightways of Chingford in the days when they were just on the cross roads. I drove for them for about six months back in 1982 on night trunk from the depot to Charnock Richard and back, driving one of their SedAks. At the time I was there the transport manager was Alan Gilzean, who used to play for Spurs alongside Jimmy Greaves, a great man to work for. In the office was Harvey Chown, son of Roger who was also one of their day drivers. The night trunk was ok until they started to get me to deliver the return load of Highland Spring to distribution depots in the Northampton area and that’s when I packed it in. Their depot moved down by the lock in the Lea Valley area, used to do a bit of subbing work for them when I was working for R A Haulage in Edmonton.

formertrucker:
I was working for R A Haulage in Edmonton.

Was this when Reg was in Ponders End or had he moved to Princes Ave.

Radders:
just remembered Prosser Brothers who used to run out of Waltham Cross. I worked for them for a while on the ‘Poupart’ contract. A lot of their work was delivering to the fruit markets at night. Anyone remember Richie and Barry? It was quite weird working for them as they never spoke to each other! Hadn’t done for years.

Barry used to run the maintenance side of things and Richie the operational side. You could be standing next to Barry, and if Richie wanted to know if a truck or trailer had been fixed, he’d come up to you and ask you to ask Barry! He wouldn’t ask him himself! Very strange! :smiley:

This post reminds me of two brothers at Gabriels. Neither of them spoke to each other for donkeys years.

formertrucker:
Only just found this thread and so am a bit out of date perhaps but I do remember Leggett Freightways of Chingford in the days when they were just on the cross roads. I drove for them for about six months back in 1982 on night trunk from the depot to Charnock Richard and back, driving one of their SedAks. At the time I was there the transport manager was Alan Gilzean, who used to play for Spurs alongside Jimmy Greaves, a great man to work for. In the office was Harvey Chown, son of Roger who was also one of their day drivers. The night trunk was ok until they started to get me to deliver the return load of Highland Spring to distribution depots in the Northampton area and that’s when I packed it in. Their depot moved down by the lock in the Lea Valley area, used to do a bit of subbing work for them when I was working for R A Haulage in Edmonton.

Well there ya go. :laughing:

Alan Gilzean was one of the transport managers at the Blue Dart Enfield depot on the A10 in 1975 shortly after he finished playing football for Spurs. As formertrucker said he was a great bloke to work for and got on well with all the drivers. Rikki contacted me nearly eight years ago after I had mentioned this on another thread to say that a bloke called James Morgan was trying to write a book about Alan but at the time I had no idea of where Alan was so I wasn’t much help to him.
After doing a bit of Googling just now it seems that James managed to write his book and Alan is doing O.K…result :wink:

e-mail received
Sent: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:17 am
To: mushroomman
we got this e-mail…

To: Salter, Andy (RBI-UK)
Sent: Sat Sep 26 23:48:28 2009
Subject: Access

I have just applied for access to the TruckNet website. I am a journalist with The Herald newspaper in Glasgow and the main reason for my application to your site is to establish contact with one of your members “mushroomman”. I am currently writing a book about Alan Gilzean, the former Dundee, Tottenham and Scotland footballer, and after a quick search on Google discovered that Alan was mushroomman’s depot manager at the Blue Dart in Enfield and was hoping to speak to him about his experiences with Alan.

I met with Alan as recently as this July and, after a series of discussions, he indicated that he did not want to be a part of an authorised account of his life. However, I feel passionately about the project and feel Alan’s story deserves to be told. I would be most grateful if you were able to help in this matter as trying to track Alan’s movements since his retirement from football have proved extremely difficult.

Best regards

James Morgan

scotsman.com/sport/football/ … -1-4044198

Some old names from the 70’s and the 80’s included :

Stacey’s
Nicholls
Fisher
Location Frieght
LTB Thear
David Murdy Tpt
Beazley Tpt (Green St, post war)

Anyone have stories and/or images or additions?

Littlechilds from WX anyone got any info on them ? used to see the their lorrries in birmingham market a lot in the 60’s always well loaded with imported stuff and bags of nuts just before christmas

Remember Fishers had some smart motors at that bp garage also Littlechild same colours as Atwell and Farmers think some sort connection
Nichols Brown Dafs and Globetrotters Leggets

Hiya …was there a firm down that way called Farrow bros.I think their yard was nr Brimsdown station.At one time they had Black and White Mercs.Are they still operating ■■?.they come into Laybond in Chester to load back to the smoke. good old days.
John

Ah yes!, Farrows, I think they have now gone the way of so many.

There was also an O/D by the name of Dave Nichols who had the gobstopper, Engaged on Spanish work mostly, but not related to (Mick) Nicholls Haulage.

I lived and worked in Enfield and the surrounding area for many years, It had a lot of haulage work based in Enfield, here are some I remember and some I used to work for.

W M WOODS (later became ROBA)
REDBURNS (Brimsdown)
T&T Transport
E E HOWE
HOWE EUROPEAN
LEGGETS (Chingford)
CAWTHORN & SINCLAIR had a depot in Waltham Cross also a big contract out of THORNS Brimsdown
TOMMY HARRIS (Top of Green Street)

Main companies for work were ENFIELD ROLLING MILLS, and ENFIELD CABLES, RUBEROID, AEI CABLES and many many more, the good old days you could finnish with one firm in the morning and start with another in the afternoon, and still get your old job back at the previous firm the next morning

Re: Enfield & Lea Valley Hauliers
by LB76 »
Littlechilds from WX anyone got any info on them ? used to see the their lorrries in birmingham market a lot in the 60’s always
well loaded with imported stuff and bags of nuts just before christmasLB76

Terry Littlechild was running lorries a few years ago around the Newmarket area,carrying horse muck away from the stables.He sold out & now lives in the Kings Lynn area, i see him on a regular basis during the speedway season,as Kings Lynn speedway,once run by his late father Maurice, is now run by his daughter Cheryl Chapman,nee littlechild & her husband Keith Chapman (Buster) Terry still does a bit of driving for local companies around Norfolk.

Another name on the list brings back memories for me “Stacey” Did a few trips in the early 80s for Gerry myself.

Tony Bradfield,my uncle lived & ran out of Newbury Avenue,so should qualify under the "Enfield & Lea Valley "banner.Still running & driving his Daf to Morocco today @ the age of 77.