End of your day

Please note all breaks are legal for hrs worked and hrs drove …The driver assesor/infringment officer at our place has started to tell the drivers it is an infringment to remove your card at the end of your day if you park up on 4.1/2 hrs driving first you must have 45 mins break then show 15 mins other work all before you go home and for no pay as we don’t get overtime is a new rule or is he not up to his job.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Ha he thought about going on britains got talent? he’d make a ■■■■■■■ good comedian.

fizza:
Please not all breaks are legal for hrs worked and hrs drove …The driver assesor/infringment officer at our place has started to tell the drivers it is an infringment to remove your card at the end of your day if you park up on 4.1/2 hrs driving first you must have 45 mins break then show 15 mins other work all before you go home and for no pay as we don’t get overtime is a new rule or is he not up to his job.

It’s not a new rule it’s been around since 2007 and whether the tacho person is entirely correct or not depends on what you do when you’ve pulled the card.

If you have to do paperwork or any other form of work then he’s correct about the break but not about having to do another 15 minutes work, that bit is rubbish as long as you’ve already had the required WTD breaks, well it’s rubbish anyway because if the break needs to count for the WTD you could do 1 or two minutes other work before finishing and it would be legal.
The regulations clearly state that a 45 minute break must be taken immediately after 4 1/2 hour driving.

If you pull the card and you’re finished then you don’t need a break but as I said if you pull the card on 4 1/2 hours driving then do more work you need a 45 minute break before doing the other work.

Make sure you pull the card at or before 4 hours 29 minutes driving and you’re good to go :wink:

fizza:
The driver assesor/infringment officer at our place has started to tell the drivers it is an infringment to remove your card at the end of your day if you park up on 4.1/2 hrs driving first you must have 45 mins break then show 15 mins other work all before you go home and for no pay as we don’t get overtime is a new rule or is he not up to his job.

He’s right, well apart from the bit about having to show 15 minutes other work as 1 minute would do to satisfy the regulations. If you just step out of the truck and go home but if you do anything else after pulling your card such as hand in keys and paperwork you will have to take a 45-minute break, or 30- minutes if you had 15 earlier, first, then show some other work to cover the handing in of keys and so on before beginning your rest period.

The regulations clearly state that on reaching 4.5 hours driving a driver shall take a break unless he starts a rest period.

After a driving period of four and a half hours a driver shall
take an uninterrupted break of not less than 45 minutes,
unless he takes a rest period.

This also means that if during your shift you reach 4.5 hours driving just as you arrive at a place to load or unload the only legal option open to you is to take a break before loading/unloading.

Maybe your driver assessor reads TruckNet because I, and others, been pointing this out on here for a few years now. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

i might not of explained very well all tacho breaks and wtd breaks up to this point are taken at proper time but he says if you park up on 4.5 hrs and are not planning on driving again after paper work is handed in you go home or on to daily rest do you still need the 45 mins break and other work before you pull your card.
This is at the end of your shift and you are not going to be driving again that day

fizza:
i might not of explained very well all tacho breaks and wtd breaks up to this point are taken at proper time but he says if you park up on 4.5 hrs and are not planning on driving again after paper work is handed in you go home or on to daily rest do you still need the 45 mins break and other work before you pull your card.
This is at the end of your shift and you are not going to be driving again that day

You explained it perfectly :wink:

Doesn’t matter whether you’re going to be driving again or not, if you have to do any work after the 4.5 hours driving you should have a 45 minute break after the driving and before doing that work.
Once you’ve reached 4 1/2 hours driving you should immediately have a break before doing any more work of any description.

Technically even handing in the paperwork is other work so you would need a 45 minute break before doing it if you’ve reached 4.5 hours driving.

This is one of those places where I think the regulations are bizarre, you can work for 1 1/2 hours then drive for 4 1/2 hours before having a break, but you can’t drive for 4 1/2 hours then do 5 minutes other work before having a break.

tachograph:

fizza:

You explained it perfectly :wink:

Doesn’t matter whether you’re going to be driving again or not, if you have to do any work after the 4.5 hours driving you should have a 45 minute break after the driving and before doing that work.
Once you’ve reached 4 1/2 hours driving you should immediately have a break before doing any more work of any description.

Technically even handing in the paperwork is other work so you would need a 45 minute break before doing it if you’ve reached 4.5 hours driving.

This is one of those places where I think the regulations are bizarre, you can work for 1 1/2 hours then drive for 4 1/2 hours before having a break, but you can’t drive for 4 1/2 hours then do 5 minutes other work before having a break.

This^

I don’t often say this but your training guy is right, :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink: apart from the 15-minute bit as I mentioned in my last post.

When you hit exactly 4.5 hours driving the regulations only allow for either a break or rest at that point, nothing else. And, if you are back at the yard even handing in keys or paperwork is other work.

That’s the legal thing but in the real world it probably wouldn’t happen that way, there might be creative ways round it but if the company want you to stick to the absolute legal way then there is not much you can do. Also in reality it won’t be an everyday occurrence to arrive back exactly on 4.5 hours driving, more like once in a blue moon.

Thanks for all the answers i new i could count on you guys to give me a swift response.