End of week 2 report ;-)

This weeks been much better - I’ll tell you about today just to show how 2 weeks (not long by any stretch of the imagination) makes a big difference!

I was told yesterday that I HAD to be in a little place near Mansfield for 6.30am, so set off at 5. Got the lenses on and bulbs in the trailer within 2 minutes flat (10 minutes last week struggling with the lenses…)

Got to where I thought I wanted to be at 6.15 - no signs of life anywhere, but for a toolmakers place, so I went into there to ask. Turns out where I wanted was a mill - in a different village (the belgian paperwork had missed out the suffix to the village name, something like vale or mills).
I had parked up by an egg shaped village green with a perimiter road, which was ideal to go round, but for the parked cars meaning that I had to use some of the pathway; I had seen this place and parked by it just in case, wheras last week I wouldn’t have even thought about it much. Now, the front of the wagon was on the road and the trailer running round on the path (going clockwise round this green almost like a roundabout); and I stuck my head out of the window to look where the trailer was going - and it was in course for a no entry sign (pointing the opposite way to where i had come from i hasten to add!) - now last week I would have felt panic and struggled to cope, but today a simple straighten up until the rear wheels were past it then turn back in proved to suffice and the sign is still standing :slight_smile:

Got to the drop at 6.29 (according to the tacho clock), and security bod told me that noone would be there until 7am. Now I’m used to waiting round now I just pulled the seat forward so the back had room to drop back and just reclined and relaxed listening to the radio and havin a sup of tea from the flask (essential purchase!) until someone arrived. No worrying now what the boss is going to say as I now know he’ll say nothing, so worries - noone there so no hassle; not like previous jobs where if ur running late then tellings off abound.
Mateyboy turns up with the forklift and pumpaction pallet truck, so into the back I went, acted stupid so he moved the first 2 which are right awkward, and the rest were easy! :sunglasses:

Next up was a re-load at Thorne nr Doncaster - just got a vague idea of where to go, not stressed about it, just took a guess and got lucky; and backed up to the roller doors in 1 go!! First time ever and I bet I wont be able to do it again for 20 years :open_mouth: :smiley: and this was after I told forklift man ‘this’ll make ya laugh I cant reverse for ■■■■ cus i only just passed me test like’, when i got out he just said ‘nice one mate’. The really funny thing about this place is that (before reversing) when I went to reception to find out what was what the guy who came out looked intimidated by me, and I am the least intimidating person ever! must have been the hi-vis vest and steel toecap boots - or was it that I haven’t been bothered to have a shave for about 3 days cus I dont have to now? Cheeky bloke said it would be half an hour before the order would be ready, would i like a cuppa? yes please I said, first time i had been offered one! so i followed him into the canteen and he pointed out the mugs, tea bags and fridge - what a disappointment! lol

Time to load and once again into the back of the container - this was the first time I’d loaded it up though, piece of cake :sunglasses:

All done, pulled away from the doors 10 foot to shut the doors - and time to leave. Now, this place has a long pole type barrier that as it was open was protuding into the car park so I couldn’t swing straight out - I just drove forward as far as I could, reversed kicking the trialer to the left, then swung round and out :slight_smile: again I wouldn’t have been able to do that up until this week, and it felt gr8 ! sad I know but things like that make it feel worthwhile.

Off to the docks to unload then to the other dock to reload. True to form, Immingham were so slow had to queue about an hour to get unloaded - over to Killingholme and new box boshed on double smart time…

Now the good bit is - remember the Q at Immingham? meant that I didn’t have enough tacho time to go anywhere else apart from back to the yard! wicked :slight_smile: meant that I got my shortest day yet at 8.5 hrs - my longest has been about 15!

I know that by now means yet have I got it licked, but its getting better - and the thing is I am really enjoying the job I can honestly say I am enjoying it more than anything I have done b4 - and the hours haven’t diminshed the enjoyment :smiley: I think that the fact that it is containers has helped that cus theres no ■■■■■■■ around with curtains or ropes or sheets…

so now its the weekend and time to crack open some tinnies :slight_smile:

Well done Si, you seem to go from strength to strength, i have read your posts with interest and you ave come so far in so short a time, you have made me want my class 1 more than ever (did not think that was poss) keep up the good work best of luck.

si, I have to agree with abs… you have kept us really entertined with your posts and exploits out on the road in yur first 2 weeks, and as abs said, you have gone from strenght to strength, and all I can say is I am well jealous… :laughing: :laughing:

Good luck to ya buddy… and well done!!! :wink: :sunglasses:

cbr_si, what are you doing in the back of the boxes??

paul

flatbedman:
cbr_si, what are you doing in the back of the boxes??

paul

using a pallet truck usually to push the pallets to the back so their forklift guy can take the pallets off, cos a fair few places dont have a ramp or a proper bay unfortunately :confused:

Really enjoyed the last 2 weeks posts - its a different life on boxes.

When i started (a few years back now) I was lucky and got on a fridge job just working evenings and weekends. Got taken under the wing of the yard man who had been everywhere and done everything (and he had) so he taught me lots.

Plenty of reversing practice and jumping into different wagons.

One thing he taught me that I still stick to is that there is no such thing as a daft question and dont to too proud to ask directions or who something works.

To this day if I am unsure I ask - again better to ask than bend something.

One time of not asking or getting out to look at a place where someone wanted me to go and I ended up in a field with a fully loaded chemical tanker stuck. Need two tractors and an Unimog to get me out.

You sound like you are enjoying the job - keep up the interesting posts.

Pete

Drive safe and ride safe.

cbr_si wrote

using a pallet truck usually to push the pallets to the back so their forklift guy can take the pallets off, cos a fair few places dont have a ramp or a proper bay unfortunately

you must be keen, its not your job to load/unload a box.

paul

the biker - i have found that other drivers are only too happy to help out, the time the toploader in the docks put the box on 3 pins and pushed down so all the bulbs flew out - well by the time I had picked the lenses up off the floor and looked at the bulbs to see they were bust there were 2 drivers by my truck, one with a big torch and the other offering to put half the bulbs back in!

Paul - guess it’s not my job, but I feel that as most of the time I am literally sat on my bottom it’ll do me good exercise to push pallets around for a short while; and I have found that its a case of being fine with them they’re ok with me. However, in 11 days of working I have only had to push 3 loads off and 1 one so its not regular. Also, my last job was (agy) whitevanman delivering catalogue stuff, 50 or 60 drops a day walking up and down paths, lost half a stone in 2 weeks and I think if I dont do something other than sitting round its going to pile back on!

Interestingly (maybe not) I have found that my forearm muscles and biceps/triceps have all increased but I dont really know why - must be from trying to open/shut container doors! :wink: