End of the road for the Axor

News has it that the axor is about to come to and end, replaced by smaller versions of the new actros for those that want a “gaffers motor”, any thoughts or opinions on this…?

The Axor is great in 8w form as a tipper and there are a few in 6w form as mixers (good as the Atego is a gutless heap).
Hope the Actros version is lighter than the old model.

Good riddance.

gnasty gnome:
Good riddance.

+1

Although, the latest Axor I drove a few months ago was basically an Actros with a thinner body, and wasn’t half bad to be honest. I do prefer the body to be the same width as the trailer though, much easier to line up pins under boxes at Felix :laughing:

Driven a fairly new one recently, and you can tell it’s a fleet truck.

No air con
No power button
limited seat adjustment

So I won’t be sorry to see it go, however as a fleet truck goes, it’s not the worst out there.

Ken.

Quinny:
Driven a fairly new one recently, and you can tell it’s a fleet truck.

No air con
No power button
limited seat adjustment

So I won’t be sorry to see it go, however as a fleet truck goes, it’s not the worst out there.

Ken.

No aircon? Drive with the windows down, if it’s only a fleet truck, who cares if the inside gets dusty?

I’ll be sorry to see it go, and i suspect many fleet owners will too, unless the new model is mainly cosmetic changes, time will tell.

In manual form a simple reliable and durable no nonsense vehicle, as is usually the case satans auto box ruins it for lorry drivers.

Where it excelled was in the ability of the engine to lug, especially in 430 manual version, competent driver let it pull right down to 800 rpm and you had an easy to drive vehicle that could return superb fuel economy and make good smooth progress.
Another bonus mid lift axle fully under drivers control, made deep snow simple to deal with, and the thoughtful driver could raise it for manoeuvres and tight turns meaning less tyre scrub.

An excellent and often overlooked OD’s tool.

Argos (bought) Tesco and Sainsbury didn’t run them by the thousand cos they spent half their lives in the workshops.

Juddian:
Argos (bought) Tesco and Sainsbury didn’t run them by the thousand cos they spent half their lives in the workshops.

I thought tesco+Sainsbury were some of the largest operators of the model in the UK!?
In the report I read it said it was a top seller as a 4x2 but not as a 6x2 & I think that’s about right, the 6x2s I’ve driven were a nightmare to reverse at full weight & this was a 55plate.

Pimpdaddy:

Juddian:

the 6x2s I’ve driven were a nightmare to reverse at full weight & this was a 55plate.

That’ll be satans gearbox i presume, in manual form they made an excellent shunter and i used them as such often as with previous 1727, easy and fine clutch control and lots of low revved torque, perfect.

good riddance cramped and uncomfortable

Axor was really bad especially the early version
Bear in mind it was a 7.5 T cab bodged onto an artic chassis
The early version was so badly laid out inside, the tacho unit was on the passnger side lol

My 1323 Atego is not gutless but its just like any merc , sees a hill and dies but to be fair its a great wagon and its 2000 plate .

i spent 8 days in this, my first motor at TransAm, i thought it was a great little motor, plenty of room, i had a months worth of gear in it and there was somewhere to put it all, it had more storage space than a Magnum, a reasonably comfortable drive, cruise control, i hardly had any weight in the trailer down to Germany, and came back empty to UK, so couldnt really comment on the engine (430), mind you i was glad when i got my next motor.

rhcp karlsruhe1 001.JPG

I was thinking about this last night. Coming home from Three Mile Cross i reckon every third truck i saw was an axor. Supermarket wagons mostly but also a few parcel companies run them. I think they’re close to being king of the road at night time! Nothing outnumbers them.

kindle530:
i spent 8 days in this, my first motor at TransAm, i thought it was a great little motor, plenty of room, i had a months worth of gear in it and there was somewhere to put it all, it had more storage space than a Magnum, a reasonably comfortable drive, cruise control, i hardly had any weight in the trailer down to Germany, and came back empty to UK, so couldnt really comment on the engine (430), mind you i was glad when i got my next motor.

That looks like the later version which is one hell of a lot better inside than the early version
The Axor 430 engine, straight six (not the craptros V6) is a stonker. Pulls really well

i think it was an 06 reg, as i went out on tour with it in 07, (not wanted in the end so came back empty, took motor back to Hill Hire) and it deffo wasnt brand new.

Had a new one for a week while mine was in for MOT ,
Decent enough cab and had actros gears so drove ok , not sure i would want it full time if doing a lot of nights out.
I know the new actros has jumped in price , so would imagine it wont be on many “bosses or OD” shopping list !
altho i loved the new actros and am still in line for a streamspace witch is basicly a axor ! 2300mm wide so same cab i belive

awful trucks, cant understand why they would make a unit that is thinner than the width of a trailer. Cant see anything out the mirrors, just a cheap and nasty piece of crap. I dont like them.

Ive had enough of mine, drove it on and off from when it was new in 07, now full time for the last 2 years.
Driver fatigue in the ■■■■■■■■ thing is through the roof, after about 5 or 6 hours in it, ive really had enough. Its noisey, throws you all over the cab as its a very long WB 6X2 rigid, the seats like sitting on a paving slab and you gota job to see anything out the mirrors above about 45 mph. Pluss for 26 ton loaded, 290 HP is next to bloody useless! It wouldnt pull ya ■■■■■■■■ back.
Oh, and the fuel tanks to dam small in my example.

The old version was a shonker a modern day Seddon Atkinson, the newer version is ok good for my work (Supermarkets) as the visibility is good the steering is light and the reliability is excellent with 9.2 to 10.00 mpg achievable and the engine pulls well from low down.

The auto box is junk, I drive in manual the seat is hit and miss, some I drive and it fits like a glove others I spend all night fiddling with, the only unit I would prefer over it is the FM volvo.

I have driven loads of them over the years and the only trouble I’ve had was a fuel return pipe leaking and an intercooler pipe coming off both simple roadside repairs.
How many other manufacturers could boast that.