Empolyment advisor trying to put me off LGV/HGV driving

Just been to see employment advisor, she doesn’t think LGV/HGV driving is the right job for me, she thinks a boring admin job is more me,but stuff that, I did volunteer in a women’s centre, as they helped me out a number of years ago, but it turned out the volunteers did much of the admin work,even tho I thought I might get to do something a little more challenging. It was Fiona a day driver on the Eddie Stobart Trucks and Trailers TV programme planted the trucking seed in my head!!! I can’t remeber if she had a partner or she was a single mum, but I know she had kids to look after, so I think she was working p/t days. I know when I was younger I used to want to be a train driver or join the RAF (more traditional male jobs appealed to me compared to the more treaditional female ones!!! I’ve got provisional LGV licence, and swotting up for the theory. I’m in ESA work related group, and I’m thinking I’d either like to return to the railway, but have had no luck there, I enjoy driving, so I’m thinking LGV/HGV is the way to go, other than that I could see myself polising locomotives in a railway museum.
Debbie my advisor ws saying HGV driving is long hours 55 and up to 70 a week, tho I thought 56 is the maximum you can legally work in a week. I gather tha nature of the work can vary according to the nature of the work. I believe rate of pay is about £9.00 ph, but I gather this will vary accordiing to the nature of the work, I know day driving isn’t where the money is, but I’m happy to do it , and if I decide I want something more challenging then going for that later on. my Mum was dead against me driving HGVs (yes I’m a girlie) as she was thinking it’s all going over Europe and migrants trying to get in the back of your truck, but as if a newly qualified driver will be getting the European ones, that’s for the more experienced drivers. I don’t know Debbie’s reasons for stating that she doesn’t think truck driving is right for me, but she has given me some homework to find out various things about LGV/HGV driving, I thought asking experienced drivers would be a good place to start. I’m 44 and no kids so childcare isn’t going to be a problem. Unlike volunteering in a museum as I do at present, I know I cannot climb into a HGV to test out the water to see if I’d enjoy it, but I’m sure I would.

PottyPott:
I know I cannot climb into a HGV to test out the water to see if I’d enjoy it, but I’m sure I would.

Ye you can Many places have open days or free trial drives.
pay rise is more dependent on your area. If your within 50 miles of the m25 you can easily start off at £10ph+.
Also if you don’t want to do the hours just sign up with an agency as a relief driver or find an agency that can accommodate you with the hours you want.

I believe if you took your car test before 97’ you have the entitlement to drive 7.5t trucks. Which is a great place to start off at. All you need to do is get your CPC and a tacho card.

The important part of what your adviser said is the hours. Yes you will work (or be occupied) for a lot!
Yes you can only WORK for 56 hours, but you can add “BREAK” or “POA” on top of that…
The 56 hour limit is for “DRIVING” and “OTHER WORK”! (90 hours total per 2 weeks…)
You will earn over £10 “SELF EMPLOYED”, so work that out compared to directly employed…

Best of luck! :smiley:

Thanks Adam.
1999 and 2012, when I passed car tests. automatic to manual upgrade. Before getting Provisional C licence I applied to Tescos and Asda as a delivery driver, delivering online shopping to customers, which I believe I can do on a car licence, 7.5t and above I know needs LGV or HGV licence. How do I get a trial drive? Whpo would do that is it training providers/ prospective employers. I know is a small haulage firm here, or Eddie Stobart have a depot this side of Milton Keynes. I believe there’s a number of distribution depots in this area Asda, John Lewis/Waitrose to name a few I can think of. However I don’t think I can go out in a truck with an instructor unless I’ve passed theory test, which I’m swotting up on, much of it is common sense, some is new. Tho with a car I could lean the practical, as well as learning the theory.
My employment advisor has arranged an appiontment for Friday of next week, what I was thinking of asking her is “Seeing as I can’t take a HGV out to see if I’d enjoy it, could you arrange for me to shadow a driver for a few days or so.”

Evil8Beezle:
The important part of what your adviser said is the hours. Yes you will work (or be occupied) for a lot!
Yes you can only WORK for 56 hours, but you can add “BREAK” or “POA” on top of that…
The 56 hour limit is for “DRIVING” and “OTHER WORK”! (90 hours total per 2 weeks…)
You will earn over £10 “SELF EMPLOYED”, so work that out compared to directly employed…

Best of luck! :smiley:

Sounds a little confusing, what’s POA? I gather “Other work” is loading and unloading , I’m a little confused by the figures 56 hours or 90 hours per 2 weeks which would surely be 45 hours pw. AS so I understood it the EU working time directive meant an employee could worl up to 48 hours pw, to go over that would have to sign a waiver. I know on the railway after the Clapham Junction rail crash employees, no matter if you were a driver. signalman or just working in a ticket office had to take every 14th day off, and had to have so many hours rest between shifts. I think one of the advisors said her son who drives HGVs can work up to 70 hours pw. I gather that must include break times. Just this I think is proving the most difficult part to understand, it would appear to be more than one set of rules here hgvcity.com/Regulations/regulations.htm

. :smiley:

Obviously a wind-up. I give you 2/10 mainly for the effort involved.

SuperMultiBlue:
Obviously a wind-up. I give you 2/10 mainly for the effort involved.

Who me? No I’m deadly serious!!!

Hi PP
If you really want to do this you can find a way- use some of the links at the top of this board on “recommended schools” and the one on “things to read before you start training” etc. There is also the other board on “safety and working time directive” in the drivers toolbox section.

Might also help to contact a local training school or check out their website. As a potential customer I’m sure they might give you more answers or if possible they might offer an opportunity, if you are able, to visit to chat. Doubt they will let you out in one as that usually costs as an assessment drive and credited against your training fee if you go ahead.

i didn’t know about this forum when i started driving years back but a lot of the info helped when I found it. Don’t drive now but would be back in a heartbeat given the chance.

Hope this helps.

56 is the max driving time hours in a fixed week

60 is the max working time max which is driving time + other work time

No limit on max shift/duty time but is restricted by the amount of daily rest required

Why not post a picture on here? if you have a winning smile and a can do attitude, I’m sure someone will take you out for the day :wink:

No in all seriousness, check out the daily rest period requirements under EU regs, as this dictates how much time you can actually be on shift for a given week. Forget the driving limits, as they are much less. So if you were wondering how much you “could” end up working its the rest requirements that are important.

You are unlikely to be on GB Domestic rules, unless you get on very specific work.

I don’t understand why you employment advisor is telling you it’s a bad idea, if you are motivated to do it you are far more likely to enjoy it.

ROG:

No limit on max shift/duty time but is restricted by the amount of daily rest required

So 60 is the max working hours for driving plus other work, so when one said I think it was her son could work up to 70 hours a week that’s including rest breaks. I think I understand now.

F-reds:
I don’t understand why you employment advisor is telling you it’s a bad idea, if you are motivated to do it you are far more likely to enjoy it.

Yep I feel I’ve the enthusiasm to do it, I enjoy driving my car and listening to music, Blame Fiona from Eddie Stobart Trucks and Trailers and also Lisa and Mia from Ice Road Truckers for planting the seed in my head. I know my employment advisor said I could get stuck in traffic, yes annoying but not a major problem. A boring old admin job, she thinks I’d be well suited for I don’t think I’d last doing that as don’t have the motivation. Yes so I can use a computer, and did quite well with a stupid course I was sent on, but typing letters and documentsall day not me BORING!!!

PottyPott:

ROG:

So 60 is the max working hours for driving plus other work, so when one said I think it was her son could work up to 70 hours a week that’s including rest breaks. I think I understand now.

As well as POA… Which is “Period of Availability”
It’s better to just use break if you can, as it can get confusing when it resets your driving time of the Tacho.
Plenty of threads on here about it…

download/file.php?id=171237&mode=view

Hi pp,

Above link would be a good place to start and get good advice. Not sure how far away you are but worth a trip .Also as mentioned look at all the useful links on here.

One thing I will say is if you think you go for a little drive everyday listening to music with your right arm getting suntanned you will be in for a shock.

Good Luck

I know it’s more than just driving listening to music. I know you as driver are ultimately responsible for your load, and you load up and unload, and I know you’re responsible for vehicle checks so yes I do know there’s more to it than just whizzing around. That event is rather far ,but will look out for some more local to me.

Is there a list of events/ open days , just that one listed is quite far , and it’s tomorrow!!!

Hi PP
Your half way there by wanting to drive for a living,yes the regulations are a tad confusing at first but like anything you will get the hang of it,
One way you could get a day out in a truck is if you know any transport firms by you,ok I know it’s cheeky but call in explain what your looking to do and ask if you can go out with a driver for a day or two,if you don’t ask and all that,firms like to see some get up and go and if your willing to go and ask they will know your serious not just messing about.
As for working certain days and hours as already said join an agency for experience if your able to drive 7.5T once you have your digi card.

Hope this helps

Jeff.

If this is for real, and not a wind up :laughing: The the chances are your Employment adviser is trying to put you off is due to cost (?) … Are you asking/expecting the ESA lot to help you fund it? A few years back they put me through my Fork Lift test, and that was like pulling teeth just getting them to agree to that :laughing: :laughing: … Admin courses tend to be cheaper, hence why she`s mebbe pointing you in that direction.

My Mum has eventually agreed to fund it, after I said that it’s not all going over to Europe and migrants trying to get in the back of your truck. I said about Fiona from the Channel 5 series Eddie Stobart Trucks and Trailers and she’s was a day driver. I’m willing to pay her back, tho I’ve paid for a book and website access for theory test questions. I’ve done admin before be it in a voluntary capacity in a women’s centre, tho I was hoping for stuff I could get stuck into, tho I left after just over a year, to care for my severely disabled then husband. I know it’s near on impossible to get anything from the DWP. tho if I can do work I’d enjoy I’m more liklely to hold down a job. Just think if I refused to provide care for my then husband, I had no legal obligation to do so , but maybe a moral obligation, I did 8 years out of love and £45.70 pw, but if the marriage doesn’t work out love and benefits don’t pay the bills!!! Yes I’m serious!!!