Employers supplying workwear?

need some info on the laws of employers supplying workwear,looked on the internet but ats all a little confusing :angry: as we dont get anything not even gloves :angry: any help or useful links will be greatly appreciated :smiley:

I think the law on workwear only applies to ppe. (Gloves, boots etc.)

Don’t think your employer has to provide you t-shirts, trousers, but if you visit sites regularly where ppe is required, then your employer has a legal obligation to provide.

Ken.

i`m not bothered about them not supplying trousers or t shirts,gloves & boots would be a start,the only thing they have supplied is hi-viz trousers,all the rest hard hat,hi-viz vest etc etc we have had 2 get ourselves :angry: :angry:

I’ve gotten loads of t-shirts, sweaters, socks, a jacket, a gym bag, a backpack, small and big towels and I’m not even an employer, I just sub for the company :smiley:

AFAIK your employer is required to supply you with all ppe that’s needed for the job. that would include boots, gloves, hard hats, safety specs/goggles, earplugs, hi-viz clothing as needed. it doesn’t include normal clothes but you may get a waterproof jacket if you work outside a lot.

Agency’s don’t have to give you any thing and if they supply boots they can charge for them.

Although this applies to COSHH, the basic requirement is the same insofar as your employer providing.

Ken.

Robertthegreat:
Agency’s don’t have to give you any thing and if they supply boots they can charge for them.

Correct. Although there’s no mention in the op that he’s an agency bod.

My accountant allowed me £250 in this financial year to get everything I needed from trousers to t-shirts to ppe.

Ken.

no not an agency driver :smiley: employed by a small firm which employs 11 drivers(1 is an part owner)2 mechanics (gaffers sons) and 1 office staff

The firm i work for is about the same size as yours from the sound of it. even though the gaffer is tight as a gnats chuff, he still gives us boots, gloves and ppe. it’s all cheap crap but he’s done what’s required! he won’t even pay to have the company name on the hi-viz vest… but i think that’s a blessing :grimacing:

I am struggling to get a pair of gloves from my new employer :frowning: , although they did give us a case of beer for Xmas :smiley: .

I wonder whether the office staff have to provide dustpans brushes staplers printing ink etc to enable them to do their job right, or more comfortably? :question:

DOLLY BLACK SHEEP:
no not an agency driver :smiley: employed by a small firm which employs 11 drivers(1 is an part owner)2 mechanics (gaffers sons) and 1 office staff

Your employer HAS to provide you with appropriate PPE, this would include boots, gloves, as mentioned elsewhere safety glasses, dust masks, hard hats etc.

The only ‘get out’ is if you are self employed.

Even agencies should provide this, but you will pay for it one way or another. I always bought my own boots etc. when I was agency driving, that way I got something comfortable and durable.

Are you a union member?

You can always write to your tax office & ask them to give you a tax rebate on your PPE as they will have a "standard " code for this just means that you will pay less tax

But has been said your employer is supposed to supply your PPE

Heres a better link to the employees rights as regards PPE.Its a pdf.

www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/hse27.pdf

Some firms won’t give it you till you’ve been there 3mths, cost them too much in the past I guess?

Don’t know if it’s legal or not, but it’s accepted.

I get gardeners gloves from the pound shop for … a pound.

My boots / shoes I’ve bought myself for personal choice.

Hard hat, goggles, breathing covers etc all supplied by company for me to be able to go onto certain sites. But are sometimes allocated to the vehicle rather than the driver.

Simple, if your an employed driver doing regular work onto sites or in/out quarries etc and your gaffer dont provide ppe then just turn up one day with nowt, youll get turned away for not having any ppe and gaffer will/should go on a watch list,the 3 strikes and out type. Another way is to talk to a driver from your gaffers biggest rival and see if you can get one of there hi-viz vests and start wearing that, worked for me years ago.

With times as they are you don’t want to be putting your job at risk by causing trouble, but your employer does have a basic duty of care to provide you (and all their employees) with PPE, just like it’s the duty of employees to keep it in good condition.

There’s no need to be awkward, because if/when the [zb] hits the fan and they need to lose a few staff they will try to get rid of the ones who make waves first. Wouldn’t you?

I have guys working for me who are asking for new boots/gloves/hi viz jackets all the time, (knowing full well that they have lost them/sold them/thrown them away, so I usually ask to see the old ones first. Not that I could refuse, but things need to be kept within reason.

If you need PPE ask for it, if they refuse remind them of their duty of care.

And being within reason is them supplying staff with PPE if they need it.

My employer provides all work-wear.
Trousers (Pants)
Shorts
T-Shirts
Long Sleeve Polo’s
Hoodies
Winter Coat
Summer Coat
Jumpers
Belt
Boots (we have to hand receipt in, upto $125 a year)
Socks (I dont know anyone who has ordered them)
Gloves
Hi-Viz
HardHat
Safety Glasses

All of the above apart from Safety items, are deductible from a yearly allowance which for me is $175. 1 pair trousers costs $8 just to give you an idea of cost within my company. All the uniform is made by VF Imagewear, and is top quality. The yearly allowance resets at the end of May.

get the lot,but with all the newstarters its taken a year to get a new raleigh jckt :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: ,but normally if you need it you get it pretty much straight away

If I need any PPE I get it myself and put a reciept in and get the money back the following week , got mysef a hard hat with ear defenders attached and integral visor to try and keep Corus happy £20 ish all he said was "well if you need it you you need it " and he HATES H/S , got enough PPE in my cab to keep any factory/customer H/S bod more than happy :laughing: :laughing: