Employed but no contract?

Hi folks,

Something that came into conversation at work today in the office, ive been at my current job for a year yesterday but have since not signed any form of contract or handed one at any point. I understand or believe to understand companies are supposed to sort this out when you start or at least a few months after the probation has been done.

If it came to me wanting to leave my job as I’m salaried you would be expected to put 4 weeks notice in, but as I’ve no contract i wouldn’t be under obligation to give any notice? Not suggesting I’ll be quitting my job any time as i do somewhat enjoy my job, but its something ive been chasing up for months but just wondered what peoples thoughts were and where i would stand should I ever decide to make the jump?

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

No contract, a weeks notice I believe.

a contract can either be written or verbal, it would be deemed that you have excepted your terms verbally if you have worked there for so long without a written one, i.e. pay and how long you are required to work ect.
Being salaried are you paid monthly or weekly? as notice required will depend on this, i.e weekly, one week, monthly, one month. :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

I understand you can either have a written or verbal contract but id assume id have to be told how many holidays im entitled to etc. I’m paid monthly so knew id need to give a months notice, but i always thought if you were to agree to a contract written or verbal everything would be clear as to what your agreeing to? Maybe I’m just over complicating it? :laughing:

Just something that was bugging me as such!

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

I wouldn’t sign any contract where I had to give a months notice, as not many future employers would be willing to wait an entire month to fill a role, especially for something like a lorry driving job.

It used to be law, that you had to have a written contract after 13 weeks of continuous employment, but as regards notice, there is no legal way to enforce that you actually work your notice.

It would cost me a bomb if I didn’t have a written contract,every now and then I have too chuck it on there desk pointing out guaranteed 50 hrs p.w,if I didn’t have a written one I’m sure they’d pay the 30/40 hrs p.w I do
Written one for me every time

Was sent a contract to sign soon after I started working for company I,m with at present, Read it right through n could,nt stop laughing… They wanted open access to my bank for any cost over and above my wages…these would come from there Insurance excess, damage to the wagon, lost or damaged load, any damage at customer site…lost or damaged work wear…They may agree to my holiday dates but if buisness’s needs dictated, they could cancel said holiday at anytime…any doc / dentist / hospital appointments needed minimum one months notice…a day or half day holiday would be deducted and if buisness’s needs dictated…you guessed it… :laughing: :laughing:
Told em I wouldn’t be signing…there answer was I couldn’t be put on payroll till signed…four month on still there…and getting payed ok…so does that meen I’ve accepted there terms then…■■

enn:
Was sent a contract to sign soon after I started working for company I,m with at present, Read it right through n could,nt stop laughing… They wanted open access to my bank for any cost over and above my wages…these would come from there Insurance excess, damage to the wagon, lost or damaged load, any damage at customer site…lost or damaged work wear…They may agree to my holiday dates but if buisness’s needs dictated, they could cancel said holiday at anytime…any doc / dentist / hospital appointments needed minimum one months notice…a day or half day holiday would be deducted and if buisness’s needs dictated…you guessed it… :laughing: :laughing:
Told em I wouldn’t be signing…there answer was I couldn’t be put on payroll till signed…four month on still there…and getting payed ok…so does that meen I’ve accepted there terms then…■■

As far as I’m aware then yes you have. If a contract is not signed but the employee is still working there then it is taken that you agree to their conditions .

So what happened to the 13 week rule ?

enn:

As you are working for that empolyer then it would be deamed you have accepted the terms of the contract even though you have not signed it.
Not signing isn’t a get out clause unless you write a letter or strike out the parts you object to. And enter into negotiations

Enn, Just out of interest was anybody at the co so braindeadly thick enough to actually agree to those terms and sign the contract. :open_mouth: ?

It never ceases to amaze me how some drivers are routinely prepared to bend over and touch their toes no matter what their firms tell them to do,… spineless :unamused:

But he has even though he hasn’t signed it

I know what you are saying, but does this mean that they are actually allowed to take money from his bank? :open_mouth:
I would have thought that by law actual active written permission would have to be given for this, not perceived “permission” given as a result of not signing a contract.

Apart from this, the act of a driver paying for damage is yet another argument, (let alone the idiots actually agreeing to it :unamused: ) I thought that insurance was for this purpose :bulb:

Yes if its in the written contract and he’s working within its terms the. Yes they would unless he’s put written objections in before taking the job

robroy:
Enn, Just out of interest was anybody at the co so braindeadly thick enough to actually agree to those terms and sign the contract. :open_mouth: ?

It never ceases to amaze me how some drivers are routinely prepared to bend over and touch their toes no matter what their firms tell them to do,… spineless :unamused:

The ones I’ve spoke to have signed it…about five…When I asked why…they just shrugged there shoulders n said its not a bad job…
Will be interesting to see what happens if it does go ■■■■ up…I did ask boss man for details on Insurance excess and a copy of employee handbook which the contract kept referring to…still waiting… :wink:

Have a look here.
gov.uk/employment-contracts … s/overview