eMAIL SCAM HMRC

Heads up for the Self Employed and EVERYONE ELSE

Had an e-mail today and just thought I’d check the list and BINGO its a scam
check your emails from HMRC here before doing anything …

hmrc.gov.uk/security/examples.htm

Nick

Theres a lot of it about … we had one from a scam artist claiming to be from the HMRC …reckons I was due a rebate…but the mail address didn’t seen right and the how would the HMRC know my email addy…never told them

The vast majority of email you get from the bank, hmrc, African princes & , one this week, from UNHCR are scams. Do not even bother opening them as some of them contain a virus. If there is a problem with your account, any account, they will send you a letter. Do not, ever, click on links, confirm your account details or log on info to anyone online.

Dont open any paypal verify ones either as it imt a virus

Strueth, everyone’s out to get our lucky charms.

Also one doing the rounds from ‘Amazon’. I had one from HMRC (as did loads of our other staff throughout the company) about a tax code change…this turned out to be genuine but was a system glitch due to us changing Company name and the system thinking we were new employees

I had the HMRC scam Email. A phone call confirmed they don’t do rebates by Email.
Funny the scammer put a detailed form in for you to fill in. HMRC know who you are and would notify you by post

419eater is your friend

I had one of these, my email picked it out as spam, then a phising scam and the form was a .exe download

yeah right.

Oh and of course the “Sir or madame” and the rebate of GBPxxx.■■

Since when are credits processed with a full bank card number? so many alarm bells ringing, it makes you think how people actually fall for them

Mis-used punctuation marks along with ■■■■■■■■■ English are a dead giveaway as well.

The ones that make me laugh are when you get a phone call from someone with an oriental accent who tells you who you are (they got your name and address out of the phone book!) but want to ask you some “security questions” to make sure it is actually “you” they are talking to.

“Can you say what bank card number in middle is please?”
“Which bank?”
“Your bank”
“I have 64 bank accounts. Which one?”
“Hoh. First Direct pleez”

"That’s not one of mine… Sorry bud, you fell at the first fence!

On another point, I got a call last week from some bunch of idiots I made a mortgage enquiry of 5 years back. They are presumably calling me now, because they think I’m one of the many thickos who took out a 5 year fix with them, or someone else - and it’s now time to think about replacing that product with something else… Equally crappy no doubt.

It’s amazing how they can keep someone’s details on file for phone call purposes - but not the fact that said “lead” is no fool, and won’t do any business with you because you lied about your original product!

I said 5 years back originally that I was interested in a 25 year fix, and they said Sure… The paperwork then came with details of a 5 year fix on it, so I binned it. I don’t do liars and pushy salespatter that will tell you anything you want to hear, hoping you won’t read the small print when the paperwork comes.

Back onto scams though - Scam baiting has become a popular sport in some areas… There’s even some members of the public who’ve set up a 0871 phone that diverts to their mobile, and give that number to the scammers pumping you for your mobile number… Then, when they call, YOU keep THEM on the line as long as you like, and watch the money roll in… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

If you get an e-mail claiming to contain a naked photo of Susan Boyle, DO NOT OPEN IT !..it really does contain a naked photo of Susan Boyle, and you will be traumatised !

Swampey2418:
Nick

Theres a lot of it about … we had one from a scam artist claiming to be from the HMRC …reckons I was due a rebate…but the mail address didn’t seen right and the how would the HMRC know my email addy…never told them

I know fella but being april tax year etc and there’s bound to be a few that’s on agency under the umbrella scheme I just thought a quick warning.
You gotta remember some drivers really do need telling for their own good :wink: