Elfin Safety Guff

Its beginning to grate on me now!

Been working for an agency on Chep contract.

Chep’s H & S policy is it is unsafe for drivers to leave their cabs whilst pallets are being loaded/unloaded.

Sainsbury DC policy is it is unsafe for the driver to be IN his cab whilst being loaded/unloaded and send you to drivers room.

Tesco DC don’t have an issue with the driver being in cab, out cab, or shaking it about chatting to forky whilst he’s loading.

How can H & S regulations deem and identical process to be safe at one DC but unsafe at another, and at a further DC not require a process to be in place■■?

FFS.

coreysboys:
Chep’s H & S policy is it is unsafe for drivers to leave their cabs whilst pallets are being loaded/unloaded.

Sainsbury DC policy is it is unsafe for the driver to be IN his cab whilst being loaded/unloaded and send you to drivers room.

FFS.

I might be wrong, but having to walk from your vehicle to a designated waiting room and back again, when there are forklifts and other traffic about, surely has to be far less safe than staying within the confines of your vehicle?

None of it is H&S law. Companies are just obliged to have a H&S policy in place. Its up to them to deem what they consider safe and what isn’t for their site. Most of it seems to come from a fear of being sued by the no win no fee merchants, and the fact that no matter what you do there is always some idiot that can’t be trusted to look after himself.

I personally consider myself professional and experienced enough to know my own job and the risks associated therewith, and skilled and aware enough to take that knowledge and prevent myself and others from being injured whilst undertaking that job.

What sending me to a waiting room for two hours actually does is removes my skills and experience from the situation resulting in an increased chance of an incident. Perhaps not at the DC but maybe 10 miles down the road when the load shifts because it wasn’t properly stacked. Something that I may have noticed and resolved at source had I been allowed to stay with my vehicle.

classicman:
None of it is H&S law. Companies are just obliged to have a H&S policy in place. Its up to them to deem what they consider safe and what isn’t for their site. Most of it seems to come from a fear of being sued by the no win no fee merchants, and the fact that no matter what you do there is always some idiot that can’t be trusted to look after himself.

Spot on. PLC ltd don’t give a flying about you or your health and safety. They do give a flying about you taking legal action against them through some “where there’s a blame there’s a claim” solicitor. Any claim you make or attempt to make can be challenged and defended if they have a policy in place. Believe it or not, the health and safety managers from tescos, chep, morrisons or (insert any big plc of your choice) do not have a big get together to decide what is and isn’t acceptable. It’s all about them being seen to manage risk and defer and liability or litigation

Your right its a right Pain.

Yu would think in this day and age H&S would grab the wheel and make everything STANDARD.
Everyone then playing by the same rule book. no if’s or buts.

mick.mh2racing:

classicman:

Spot on. PLC ltd don’t give a flying about you or your health and safety. They do give a flying about you taking legal action against them through some “where there’s a blame there’s a claim” solicitor. Any claim you make or attempt to make can be challenged and defended if they have a policy in place. Believe it or not, the health and safety managers from tescos, chep, morrisons or (insert any big plc of your choice) do not have a big get together to decide what is and isn’t acceptable. It’s all about them being seen to manage risk and defer and liability or litigation

It’s only a matter of time before some driver deprived of his cab to kip in whilst being tipped crashes into the gatehouse on his way out, having been kept at the RDC 22 hours without a break 'cos the waiting room “break” is no good - right?

Sure, H&S local policy don’t give a ■■■■ once you’ve LEFT the yard, but what if you have a big accident BECAUSE of their policy whilst still WITHIN the yard?

It’s about time we drivers enforced our own national policy - NO tip within a reasonable time frame (I’ll suggest 30 mins tops to get on a bay, keys taken away from you MAX of 1 hour) means you don’t tip at all, and leave with the goods still on back. They clearly don’t want them if there’s umpteen free bays, indoor bods walking around gassing in some EE language smoking ■■■■, but strangely no one on forks, no one on bay, only some jobsworth at the goods in desk who looks at you when you walk in like you’re the git who raped their sister, and you’ve just got out early from a stretch at the scrubs…

C’mon everyone! We’re not supposed to be the ones beneath contempt - Those who can do, and those who can’t work in the office remember? It’s not like they’ve got degrees or anything… The less said of courtesy and manners the better perhaps. :astonished:

Insurance companies might be the ones eventually to push for COMMON H&S policy that’s the same everywhere, that being what a common policy would mean. :laughing: :laughing: If High Viz have to be worn everywhere - then how come there can’t be other “universal H&S” aspects in yards?

Tescos don’t let you Split Couple. Nagels you HAVE to. DHL don’t let you do their paperwork whilst on duty. Asda don’t let you in the yard unless you don’t work for them. Morrisons won’t give you a job if you HAVE worked for them. Aldi won’t tip you, you’ve gotta do it yourself. Wilkos won’t let you do anything, because the only thing that doesn’t ■■■■ are their vacuum cleaners. Safeways would have been a cushy number, but now the yard is Waitrose - and you’re wearing the wrong trousers gromit! :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

coreysboys:

Tesco DC don’t have an issue with the driver being in cab, out cab, or shaking it about chatting to forky whilst he’s loading.

How can H & S regulations deem and identical process to be safe at one DC but unsafe at another, and at a further DC not require a process to be in place■■?

FFS.

If you’d ever seen someone killed by a fork lift truck, you’d tolerate the guff a bit more.

I appreciate it’s a bit changeable between firms which can be annoying. Some blokes are their own worst enemy though with their “danger radar” being a bit crap. Bodes well for when they turn the key :frowning:

I used to pick pallets up at Chep and Loscam, both in Brisbane. At Chep there was a little three sided tin hut with an aluminium bench inside. Lovely in 38 degrees or pishing with rain. Wasn’t allowed near the truck when the forkie was loading… err how would you like me to move those curtains so you can get the last stacks on ? ffs ! Walk within all these yellow lines to the office / hut, only to find that you and the bloke in the window can’t hear each other cos of the poxy radio that’s absolutely blasting out in the shed where they repair pallets.

Loscam was better, but not much.

I don’t know how you blokes and girls put up with rdc’s. We had a big ignorant phallic symbol on the gate at Woolies at Acacia Ridge (for the ozzies) who seemed to take pleasure in being what I’ve just described. I just don’t know how he didn’t get snotted. If everywhere I went was like that, I’d have ended up being banned from everywhere :slight_smile:

coreysboys:

FFS.

What’s probably worse are sites belonging to the same company with different H&S rules.

One place I used to visit you had to stand on the trailer platform to pull the straps through the pallets when tipping, but when you reloaded in the same spot you weren’t allowed near the trailer.

The same applied at another company, and the bigger they were the more obsessive they were.

coreysboys:

Don’t know what tesco that is but at our dc you stay in the cab until fork lift has finished.

karl67:

coreysboys:

Don’t know what tesco that is but at our dc you stay in the cab until fork lift has finished.

Lichfield

i Dont do RDC,s etc so not sure how this would work, but

What about a H&S policy for your vehicle, printed and signed by your company stating that you must be in attendance to supervise loading and securing of load. We as drivers are responsible for the load and vehicle and must have a say how this is done, Hi Viz, safety boots , hard hats and safety specs are there to protect us on the job, not to sit in a 5h1ty room. Company’s and RHA should get behind drivers and make this happen.

Steve

SteveWalsh:
i Dont do RDC,s etc so not sure how this would work, but

What about a H&S policy for your vehicle, printed and signed by your company stating that you must be in attendance to supervise loading and securing of load. We as drivers are responsible for the load and vehicle and must have a say how this is done, Hi Viz, safety boots , hard hats and safety specs are there to protect us on the job, not to sit in a 5h1ty room. Company’s and RHA should get behind drivers and make this happen.

Steve

Until such time as there is an “Industry Standard” policy it is unlikely to come about. Whilst you are on someone else’s premises their policies apply and, from personal experience, they take precedence over your employer’s procedures and they don’t want to upset the customer do they.

The simplest solution would be to go back to the use of common sense.

used to work on the railway and can remember wellall the gangers/yardworkers moaning when the health and safety systems were rammped up inthe late eighty’s

all moaning that they know whats safe and they wouldnt be able to do the job properly or as quickly funnily enough track gangers/yard workers went from on average fifteen deaths a year to at one point three years with no deaths at all thats the argument won for me

the same with the building trade all wear hi viz boots helmet etc before they are allowed on site i was delivering to media city in salford whilst it was under construction the day some poor lad had took his helmet off to wipe the sweat off and someone nine floors up knocked a screwdriver over the edge and killed him .

yes its a pain and a company’s are consistently inconsistent with the ways they implement it but one day it could save your life